1950-51 Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950-51 Convertible

I am negotiating for the purchase of a 1951 convertible. It is a well restored car with a GM engine and transmission. Not knowing the original engine are there any clues as to whether it is a Champion or Commander? As yet I do not have the ID numbers to check production records.

I would like to talk directly with anyone who has the same year convertible so that I know the due diligence issues. Feel free to call or email me. I'm in Houston. Dave Pyle dap8@comcast.net or 713 464 6717.

You don't need the Production Build Order, Dave. Just ask the seller for the car's Serial Number.

If it starts with the letter G, it's a Champion.

If it is all numbers (no letters), it's a Commander.

Simple. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The dash is vastly different between the two. Champions have all the gages clustered under one glass whereas Commanders have three round gage glasses - one for speedo, one for the four smaller gages and one for a clock. Under the hood, the tag on the firewall (to the passengers side of the wiper motor) would have "10G - S2" as it's top line if it had been a Champion. A Commander would read "H - S2". Also, the serial tag on the drivgers door jamb would start with a G if it had been a Champion to start with.

BP - IF it had been registered by it's engine #, that G might not be relevant, no?
      Last edited by Roscomacaw; 10-06-2012, 09:50 AM.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,

It probably doesn't make a difference in the price but I thought there might be other external clues. I would really like to hear from owners who might guide me through this. I have photos, and a test drive, but no documentation. Of course somewhere there is a title.

Comment

It makes a difference whether it's a 50 or 51. The 51's look basically the same other than badging. If it's a 50, the Champion and Commanders look completely different. The Commander noses are longer and the headlight assemblies are completely different.
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

OK guys...here is what I know. It is a 1951 convertible with round dash instruments and chrome surround headlights. However it may have started as a Champ and been modified during restoration. A Chevy 350 and auto trans was part of the restoration. Next question...Would changes in authenticity affect current price and future sales interest? I know the '50-'51 nose difference. My first new car was a 1950 Champ.

Comment

Is this the car? http://studebakersite.com/studebaker_1951.html

Comment

I'd say - in a word - no. Of course, condition is paramount - that and what YOU'LL be handing over for it.

Chrome HL bezels mean nothing. THE best indicators are the serial# and the body tag I talked about on the firewall. For '51 (as opposed to '50) ALL body sheet metal would interchange - Champion to Commander. There would be a "Champion" or "Commader" script on the left front hood edge.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

MAtthew, any idea who's site that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    The dash is vastly different between the two. Champions have all the gages clustered under one glass whereas Commanders have three round gage glasses - one for speedo, one for the four smaller gages and one for a clock. Under the hood, the tag on the firewall (to the passengers side of the wiper motor) would have "10G - S2" as it's top line if it had been a Champion. A Commander would read "H - S2". Also, the serial tag on the drivgers door jamb would start with a G if it had been a Champion to start with.

BP - IF it had been registered by it's engine #, that G might not be relevant, no?
                    Good point, Bob. I overlooked the possibility that he said it might be a '51 when I went to my library for the 1950 Shop Manual:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

MAtthew, any idea who's site that is?
                      Barry Hackney.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        If that is the car, First off WOW!! Nice car!!!!

By looking at the pictures it would seem that there is a lot less Stude that original. It also has dual master cylinder and a GM tilt column which could suggest a sub-framed chassis and/or a disk brake setup on the original. I'll bet subframed.

That said, it really devalues it for the Stude collector but increases the value to the Vox Populi that just want a great looking/driving classic car.

After all that, I can't set a price but if it runs and drives great and is a nice as it looks, it's probably pushing 20K or so.

I'd love to have it.

Bob

Comment

There would be a "Champion" or "Commader" script on the left front hood edge.
                          Bob, I think they had a Commader in the first CARS movie...you know, right next to Tow-Mader the tow truck, right?

(Sorry; I just watched CARS -again- with my grandson yesterday and couldn't resist.) BP

Comment

Still like to talk to someone who owns one. August TW had a silver 1950 on the cover. Anyone have contact info for the owner. (I no longer have that copy.)

Comment

My sister lives in Houston and recently sent me a newspaper article about a highly customized Bullet nose. It was a lady reporter who wrote the article. I can't remember who owned the car and I didn't keep the paper. You might check the newspaper archives and find who's it is.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X