No announcement yet.

R2 GT restortion cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well after spending close to %50,000 has anyone seen the car ???

Comment

The parts aren't priced too far out of line. What is incredible is that someone would pay $9000 for a GT Hawk that needed all of them. Plus, with all of the hours expended on labor, you would think that the car would be nearly finished, especially with some personal effort on the part of the previous owner. Needless to say, they shoulda bought a finished car from someone like JDP, and enjoyed driving it while they could.

Comment

The parts aren't priced too far out of line. What is incredible is that someone would pay $9000 for a GT Hawk that needed all of them. Plus, with all of the hours expended on labor, you would think that the car would be nearly finished, especially with some personal effort on the part of the previous owner. Needless to say, they shoulda bought a finished car from someone like JDP, and enjoyed driving it while they could.

Comment

I know that a restoration project is normally more expensive than purchasing a completed restoration... but this appears to be about as bad as I've seen. If the numbers I'm reading are real, we're looking at a $50,000 restoration of a $25,000 vehicle.

Comment

I know that a restoration project is normally more expensive than purchasing a completed restoration... but this appears to be about as bad as I've seen. If the numbers I'm reading are real, we're looking at a $50,000 restoration of a $25,000 vehicle.

Comment

But will it take a 1st Place trophy at next year's Int'l Meet?

Comment

But will it take a 1st Place trophy at next year's Int'l Meet?

Comment

JP - check your time on your computer... it looks like you're about 30 minutes fast... I'm replying to your posts but they're showing up as being sent before your post.

Comment

JP - check your time on your computer... it looks like you're about 30 minutes fast... I'm replying to your posts but they're showing up as being sent before your post.

Comment

I've have pics of the as purchased in 1999 and it did not "need" many of the parts. i.e. NOS king pins, tie rods side glass and the like. It only had 70K miles on it, he just went nuts, buying every new part he could find. He could not finish her, because he dies, sad tale. BTW, it will be better then Goldie when done and it sold for 35K and a R2 Lark did sell for over 50K recently. I know it won't recover the total investment, but it will cover mine.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                      64 GT R2
                      63 GT R2
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      59 3E truck
                      58 Starlight
                      52 & 53 Starliner
                      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've have pics of the as purchased in 1999 and it did not "need" many of the parts. i.e. NOS king pins, tie rods side glass and the like. It only had 70K miles on it, he just went nuts, buying every new part he could find. He could not finish her, because he dies, sad tale. BTW, it will be better then Goldie when done and it sold for 35K and a R2 Lark did sell for over 50K recently. I know it won't recover the total investment, but it will cover mine.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        64 GT R2
                        63 GT R2
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        59 3E truck
                        58 Starlight
                        52 & 53 Starliner
                        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

This page should make you think about farming out a restoration. Here's the tally of costs paid by the previous owner on my project GT.
                          IMHO, the costs so far are not really out of line. This guy obviously wanted a 400 point restoration. You can't have that by "overlooking" some of the details. He might have saved a few bucks on some of the mechanical parts that might have still been servicable, but that probably wasn't his "style". Also, there are very few guys out there that can do pro quality paint and body. Very few that have the talent and equipment to do a show quality interior, and not not many that can rebuild a Stude engine (let alone all the machine work) or rebuild a supercharger, etc. Most of us can save SOME of the restoration cost by doing a lot of the mechanical work, shagging parts, cleaning and detailing the undercarriage, etc., but SOME stuff generally HAS to be farmed out if you want a 400 point car.

Again, there are shortcuts you can take, and friends with talent you can tap, but IF you farm out paint and body, interior, and engine rebuild, but buy the parts yourself and do most of the mechanical and cleaning work you are probably looking at the following...

Purchase price $9,000 (I don't think you could get a rust free, running driving R2 Hawk any cheaper).

Paint and body $12,000 (200 hours @ $50/hour plus $2,000 in materials...this is a minimum IMHO. Any rust repair, dent removal, new sheet metal, etc. could bring the price closer to $20,000. This is with the owner doing ALL tear down and reassembly.

Interior $5,000. Full Phantom interior assembled and installed. New foam, padding, etc.

Engine rebuild. $4,000 (including supercharger rebuild and accessories (alternator, starter, carb, etc)

Parts. $10,000 Mechanical and trim parts. It goes fast. Few track this. A few "rare" parts and it can exceed this very easily.

Chrome and polish stainless $4,000

That's about $45k total and could be much higher depending upon rust and other unknowns.

The finished car will generally sell for much less than the above cost. If it is in the state JP bought it in, it will sell for SUBSTANTIALLY less.

Remember the above is for a 400 point car. If you can be happy with a 350 point car the costs could be considerably less. Perfection doesn't come cheaply.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

This page should make you think about farming out a restoration. Here's the tally of costs paid by the previous owner on my project GT.
                            IMHO, the costs so far are not really out of line. This guy obviously wanted a 400 point restoration. You can't have that by "overlooking" some of the details. He might have saved a few bucks on some of the mechanical parts that might have still been servicable, but that probably wasn't his "style". Also, there are very few guys out there that can do pro quality paint and body. Very few that have the talent and equipment to do a show quality interior, and not not many that can rebuild a Stude engine (let alone all the machine work) or rebuild a supercharger, etc. Most of us can save SOME of the restoration cost by doing a lot of the mechanical work, shagging parts, cleaning and detailing the undercarriage, etc., but SOME stuff generally HAS to be farmed out if you want a 400 point car.

Again, there are shortcuts you can take, and friends with talent you can tap, but IF you farm out paint and body, interior, and engine rebuild, but buy the parts yourself and do most of the mechanical and cleaning work you are probably looking at the following...

Purchase price $9,000 (I don't think you could get a rust free, running driving R2 Hawk any cheaper).

Paint and body $12,000 (200 hours @ $50/hour plus $2,000 in materials...this is a minimum IMHO. Any rust repair, dent removal, new sheet metal, etc. could bring the price closer to $20,000. This is with the owner doing ALL tear down and reassembly.

Interior $5,000. Full Phantom interior assembled and installed. New foam, padding, etc.

Engine rebuild. $4,000 (including supercharger rebuild and accessories (alternator, starter, carb, etc)

Parts. $10,000 Mechanical and trim parts. It goes fast. Few track this. A few "rare" parts and it can exceed this very easily.

Chrome and polish stainless $4,000

That's about $45k total and could be much higher depending upon rust and other unknowns.

The finished car will generally sell for much less than the above cost. If it is in the state JP bought it in, it will sell for SUBSTANTIALLY less.

Remember the above is for a 400 point car. If you can be happy with a 350 point car the costs could be considerably less. Perfection doesn't come cheaply.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Dick's assessment. I have an old saying: The last five points in a hundred point restoration costs as much as the first 95 points.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with Dick's assessment. I have an old saying: The last five points in a hundred point restoration costs as much as the first 95 points.

Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X