Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What color should the grills on 1950 cars be???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a NOS chrome grille but not sure which side it goes on. It's still in the box.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Been working on mine for a couple years now---I painted all chrome---tan to match the interior

Comment

That's a pretty critical statement StudeRich, Though many times cars are left out in the elements, Occasionally We find a diamond in the rough. My Studebaker 51 Commander Regal Starlight was parked in a barn with wood floors for over 50 years and is real solid with just a rust out the size of a fist in the trunk(Very Fixable) Thing is, We all cant find or afford perfect cars to work on. And I must admit the real challenge is to take a car that's too far gone and bring it back to life!
        Patrick Sammon

Comment

Many years ago, I had a 1950 Land Cruiser. It must have been a late production car. Had chrome headlamp rings and the grill was painted body color.
          Wish I still had that car, big six and automatic, rode and drove like a dream.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by effiedude View Post
            That's a pretty critical statement StudeRich, Though many times cars are left out in the elements, Occasionally We find a diamond in the rough./Cut/
            Please remember that I was replying to the poster's quoted post about the current supply of bulletnoses for sale on Craigslist, and eBay not '50-'51 in General and Members nice cars.

I would never want to own one, but I can appreciate them for the very solid car they are, better built bodies than '53 and on.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1679862
              I have researched this issue extensively in the museum archives and have concluded that all the grilles were painted body color. The above factory publicity photo will substantiate this conclusion.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

That's body color, alrighty!!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Interesting -- well mine looked to be painted silver from the factory so that's why I repainted them the same. I wouldn't really like them being painted body color. I like a little contrast on the front, since there's not a bunch of chrome or anything.
                  sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
                  X