Griffin Radiator installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffin Radiator installed

As some of you know the aluminum cross flow radiator I installed did not work out as well as hoped. SO I contacted the Griffin folks (www.griffinrad.com) and told them about my situation. Their recommendation was to install one of their aluminum down flow radiators built on their '53 Studebaker template and configured for an LS1 installation. That is they move the inlet to the passenger side and size the inlet and outlet to LS specifications. It also has a port to connect the steam vent that LS engines use, though I do not need that as I have mine plumbed to my water pump. This radiator has two rows of 1.25 inch tubes. My previous copper/brass radiator had 4 rows of .25 inch tubes so this one should have significantly more capacity. It appears to be extremely well constructed and is made in America.

I am going to try it with out a fan shroud first, as that is how my previous down flow radiator was installed and it worked pretty well. You can see the fan bracket here.

Here are pictures of the completed installation with hoses in place and the cold air induction back in place.

My purpose for doing all this was to get the radiator inlet out of the way so I could route cooler air to the engine intake. After hearing the Griffin expert say that a down flow radiator will work fine with the inlet and outlet on the same side, I certainly might have had my previous radiator modified to do that and saved a bunch of money. But, I chose to go this route to hopefully solve the issue once and for all. I drove it around yesterday in about 90 degree heat with the AC on and was pleased with the results. It is supposed to be mid 90s today and I will give it another work out to see how it does. Next Saturday I plan to drive it on IDYSD with the Karel Staple chapter crew over to the Studebaker Cafe in Kelseyville, CA. That will involve some hill climbing, we will see how it does with that.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

To: Pat Dilling,-----That new radiator looks great.....and Your workmanship is spectacular!......Hope You achieve the results Your looking for.

Comment

Hopefully, the radiator did not cost a small fortune. The whole installation looks great, it should keep things cool.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Pat.....before I had my radiators built for the two 56 golden Hawks I am redoing...I read the information on your build. I asked Entropy radiators to make me a crossflow...for you were putting one in your LS1 Stude. Though not a household name savvy street rod builders highly reommend this builder. Here is the owner's reply to my request....

Mike,

What is the overall height of the radiator including the tank on the top? Why don't I just build a downflow instead of a crossflow for you? It will look much cleaner and I can also build it with a die formed tank like in the attached picture if you want a vintage look for the car. I can also use the second style curved top tank shown in the second picture. That radiator is for a 54 Chevy sedan.

Mike

If you're concerned about the cooling of a crossflow versus a downflow, that's a tail that BeCool proliferated before they had the ability to build downflow radiators. With old copper/brass radiators, crossflow radiators do perform better because downflows are made with thicker gauge copper which doesn't conduct heat as well. That isn't true for aluminum. In addition, I only build downflows with 2-rows of 1-1/4" tubes which will cool any LSX motor up to 1000HP.

Tony

Needless to say when I read his guarantee...I bought two aluminum units for 365.00 each. I priced a Griffin Cobra, I could buy three of these for one copper/brass that would not perform to expectation. You pay for the name when you go with Griffin. Regardless, they make a great radiator....see Entropy unit attached.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mike super; 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mike for sharing that. We live and learn huh? The information you posted from Tony does confirm what the Griffin folks told me about using the down flow and that is reassuring. My Griffin was not quite twice the price that you paid, maybe you got a volume discount? :-) Hopefully this will be good information for others.
          Last edited by Pat Dilling; 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA

Comment

They were $440.00 each bought two and got a good discount....

Comment

Pat,
              I hope that my car turns out half as nice as your engine bay alone!
              ~Matt Connor
              '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
                They were $440.00 each bought two and got a good discount....
                A good discount indeed, mine was $650, plus shipping. Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I drove around for about 45 minutes this afternoon in 96 degree heat. Tried it with and without Ac, on the highway and in town. Never went above 210 so I am satisfied so far. No hills to go up today, will get a chance to try that on Saturday.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Really a nice radiator, AND REALLY a nice car. I saw a post earlier that I am going to respond to that pertains to this also. It's "You know your gittin' old when". This radiator cost the same as the first Studebaker I fixed up. The total thing, including the price of the car, body work, paint, mechanical rebuilds, and wheels and tires. LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X