• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]quote:Originally posted by 53k

[quote]Originally posted by BobPalma

Originally posted by Guido

Bob,
    Hoo-boy!! I let the thought of driving through Harvey to see the long closed Dixie Square Mall that was used as the Blues Brothers movie set after South Bend....but something told me its NOT a good idea[}] I think I'll only look at pictures others have taken of it in the safety of my own front room!!

Craig

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by 53k

[quote]Originally posted by BobPalma

Originally posted by Guido

Bob,
      Hoo-boy!! I let the thought of driving through Harvey to see the long closed Dixie Square Mall that was used as the Blues Brothers movie set after South Bend....but something told me its NOT a good idea[}] I think I'll only look at pictures others have taken of it in the safety of my own front room!!

Craig

Comment

Thanks for posting this Bob. You're right, I love this. Brings back some really fond memories. I don't know how you remember so many details though (both my parents names and sister, etc.)

When dad started farming, it was just before the end of the war and our first tractor was an International 10-20. Talk about an antique! Steel wheels and all. I remember it had three forward gears and second was the one used about 90% of the time and boy did it growl. I remember getting to stay home from school a few days to help with picking corn and my job was to drive the tractor while dad did the shucking.

Our next tractor was an Oliver 70. What a joy it was after living with the old 10-20. Six forward gears, smooth and quiet. Then dad graduated to the 88 and after awhile put M & W pistons in it to make it a Super 88. We eventually got another 88 and just before dad passed away he got an 1800. He only got to use it a short time but what a tractor.

I can remember when the neighbors would sometimes get together sharing getting the ground ready plant, about all the neighbors had 10 foot discs. Most were Internation M's and Super M's, one John Deere, one Alice Chalmers, and one Massy.

When dad would show up with the 13 foot disc and pull it faster than the rest could pull their 10 foots, they couldn't quite understand this. Sorta like the Pure Stock Drags.

As you mentioned I still have the first 88 (now a Super 88) with a manure scoop on it that I use to move Stude engines and other heavy parts around. It may set several months without being started but it has always started right up when I need it. Just have to charge the battery.

Thanks again for the post and to think I almost made the 75+ mile trip to see this but with the forcast of rain, I decided not to go. Sure wish I had.

Ted

[quote]quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[Warning: Only modest Studebaker content.]

'Just got back from the 2007 Hendricks County [IN] Fair Tractor Pull. Now, everything I know about tractor pulling and the NTPA you could fit on one side of a 3X5 index card with room left over for The Gettysburg Address in 14-point type.

However, our famous icon Ted Harbit's father, Lloyd "Ted" Harbit, was a farmer by trade. Not a wealthy one, but he and his wife Thelma were able to provide for their family and raise a son (Ted) and daughter (Phyllis) successfully, with father instilling proper values as to things mechanical...i.e, Studebakers, the value and sturdiness of which he stressed to his son Ted.

Lloyd was also a devotee of South-Bend built Oliver tractors. He was finally able to purchase a brand-new one in 1950. Our hero, his son Ted, owns and maintains that very Oliver today, in running condition.

Olivers were kind of second-tier tractors as to marketing in the 1950s, playing second-fiddle to biggies such as International, corporate cousin Farmall, Case, and Allis-Chalmers, all of whom dominated that market in the early 1950s. (At the time, John Deere wasn't the big deal they are today.) But Lloyd had great faith in Olivers and would frequently challenge other farmers to various contests as to tractor proficiency, and he would usually win. [}][^] (Son Ted enjoys recalling his father's fondness for Olivers as well as Studebakers.[^])

Fast forward to this evening in 2007.

At the Hendricks County Fair, as elsewhere, John Deere is now the darling of tractor people. Not to take anything away from the company; they did an excellent job staying abreast of farming needs in the 1960s and 1970s when other farm equipment companies were stumbling, so they deserve the success they have properly acquired.

Accordingly, at the Tractor Pull, there were mostly John Deeres (pretty much in name and appearance only, I realize), with several tractors identified as International or Farmall, and an occasional Case and/or Allis-Chalmers.

In this one

Comment

Thanks for posting this Bob. You're right, I love this. Brings back some really fond memories. I don't know how you remember so many details though (both my parents names and sister, etc.)

When dad started farming, it was just before the end of the war and our first tractor was an International 10-20. Talk about an antique! Steel wheels and all. I remember it had three forward gears and second was the one used about 90% of the time and boy did it growl. I remember getting to stay home from school a few days to help with picking corn and my job was to drive the tractor while dad did the shucking.

Our next tractor was an Oliver 70. What a joy it was after living with the old 10-20. Six forward gears, smooth and quiet. Then dad graduated to the 88 and after awhile put M & W pistons in it to make it a Super 88. We eventually got another 88 and just before dad passed away he got an 1800. He only got to use it a short time but what a tractor.

I can remember when the neighbors would sometimes get together sharing getting the ground ready plant, about all the neighbors had 10 foot discs. Most were Internation M's and Super M's, one John Deere, one Alice Chalmers, and one Massy.

When dad would show up with the 13 foot disc and pull it faster than the rest could pull their 10 foots, they couldn't quite understand this. Sorta like the Pure Stock Drags.

As you mentioned I still have the first 88 (now a Super 88) with a manure scoop on it that I use to move Stude engines and other heavy parts around. It may set several months without being started but it has always started right up when I need it. Just have to charge the battery.

Thanks again for the post and to think I almost made the 75+ mile trip to see this but with the forcast of rain, I decided not to go. Sure wish I had.

Ted

[quote]quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

[Warning: Only modest Studebaker content.]

'Just got back from the 2007 Hendricks County [IN] Fair Tractor Pull. Now, everything I know about tractor pulling and the NTPA you could fit on one side of a 3X5 index card with room left over for The Gettysburg Address in 14-point type.

However, our famous icon Ted Harbit's father, Lloyd "Ted" Harbit, was a farmer by trade. Not a wealthy one, but he and his wife Thelma were able to provide for their family and raise a son (Ted) and daughter (Phyllis) successfully, with father instilling proper values as to things mechanical...i.e, Studebakers, the value and sturdiness of which he stressed to his son Ted.

Lloyd was also a devotee of South-Bend built Oliver tractors. He was finally able to purchase a brand-new one in 1950. Our hero, his son Ted, owns and maintains that very Oliver today, in running condition.

Olivers were kind of second-tier tractors as to marketing in the 1950s, playing second-fiddle to biggies such as International, corporate cousin Farmall, Case, and Allis-Chalmers, all of whom dominated that market in the early 1950s. (At the time, John Deere wasn't the big deal they are today.) But Lloyd had great faith in Olivers and would frequently challenge other farmers to various contests as to tractor proficiency, and he would usually win. [}][^] (Son Ted enjoys recalling his father's fondness for Olivers as well as Studebakers.[^])

Fast forward to this evening in 2007.

At the Hendricks County Fair, as elsewhere, John Deere is now the darling of tractor people. Not to take anything away from the company; they did an excellent job staying abreast of farming needs in the 1960s and 1970s when other farm equipment companies were stumbling, so they deserve the success they have properly acquired.

Accordingly, at the Tractor Pull, there were mostly John Deeres (pretty much in name and appearance only, I realize), with several tractors identified as International or Farmall, and an occasional Case and/or Allis-Chalmers.

In this one

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chicken Hawk

Our next tractor was an Oliver 70. What a joy it was after living with the old 10-20. Six forward gears, smooth and quiet. Then dad graduated to the 88 and after awhile put M & W pistons in it to make it a Super 88.

As you mentioned I still have the first 88 (now a Super 88) with a manure scoop on it that I use to move Stude engines and other heavy parts around. Thanks again for the post and to think I almost made the 75+ mile trip to see this but with the forcast of rain, I decided not to go. Sure wish I had.

Ted
            Memory isn't that good, Ted; I just remember where to find stuff! I remembered your Mom as having an old-fashioned name, but couldn't remember it right off. I knew I had put it in your comprehensive March 1996 Turning Wheels biography, so I just looked it up!

M&W pistons to make an Oliver 88 into a Super 88? Is that legal? Does that stand for Montgomery-Ward? <GG>

Consider the irony: Your nemesis in the first decade of drag racing The Chicken Hawk (required Studebaker content) were O[lds] 88s, but your Dad's pride at the same time was an O[liver] 88! I know, that's a stretch.

Mapquest calls it 94 miles from your house to the Hendricks County Fair Grounds and the event was over an hour late starting due to the track being muddy from previous rain, so it would have been a long night had you made the trip.

They ultimately had the track in good shape for pulling, however, and the Oliver did everyone proud.

'Glad everyone enjoyed this thread. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Chicken Hawk

Our next tractor was an Oliver 70. What a joy it was after living with the old 10-20. Six forward gears, smooth and quiet. Then dad graduated to the 88 and after awhile put M & W pistons in it to make it a Super 88.

As you mentioned I still have the first 88 (now a Super 88) with a manure scoop on it that I use to move Stude engines and other heavy parts around. Thanks again for the post and to think I almost made the 75+ mile trip to see this but with the forcast of rain, I decided not to go. Sure wish I had.

Ted
              Memory isn't that good, Ted; I just remember where to find stuff! I remembered your Mom as having an old-fashioned name, but couldn't remember it right off. I knew I had put it in your comprehensive March 1996 Turning Wheels biography, so I just looked it up!

M&W pistons to make an Oliver 88 into a Super 88? Is that legal? Does that stand for Montgomery-Ward? <GG>

Consider the irony: Your nemesis in the first decade of drag racing The Chicken Hawk (required Studebaker content) were O[lds] 88s, but your Dad's pride at the same time was an O[liver] 88! I know, that's a stretch.

Mapquest calls it 94 miles from your house to the Hendricks County Fair Grounds and the event was over an hour late starting due to the track being muddy from previous rain, so it would have been a long night had you made the trip.

They ultimately had the track in good shape for pulling, however, and the Oliver did everyone proud.

'Glad everyone enjoyed this thread. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

All this talk about tractors has me wanting to get busy putting Grandad's John Deere 50 back together!
                My father has a bit of a tractor collection, around 25 or so. Allis-Chalmers, Case, Minneapolis-Moline, Ferguson, Massey-Harris, Ford, Massey-Ferguson, several John Deeres (All the Deeres are two cylinder) No Olivers at the moment, it was my uncle who had the Olivers.
                Always hoped he would get a Silver King or a Graham-Bradley!
                Someone mentioned Sheppard. Sheppards were diesels and the company would give the customers a list of approved fuels for the tractors that included several vegetable oils! I have heard one account of a Sheppard being delivered with linseed oil in the tank!
                Alternative fuels are nothing new. Rudolf designed his diesel to run on peanut oil!

Charles Eck
                Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

All this talk about tractors has me wanting to get busy putting Grandad's John Deere 50 back together!
                  My father has a bit of a tractor collection, around 25 or so. Allis-Chalmers, Case, Minneapolis-Moline, Ferguson, Massey-Harris, Ford, Massey-Ferguson, several John Deeres (All the Deeres are two cylinder) No Olivers at the moment, it was my uncle who had the Olivers.
                  Always hoped he would get a Silver King or a Graham-Bradley!
                  Someone mentioned Sheppard. Sheppards were diesels and the company would give the customers a list of approved fuels for the tractors that included several vegetable oils! I have heard one account of a Sheppard being delivered with linseed oil in the tank!
                  Alternative fuels are nothing new. Rudolf designed his diesel to run on peanut oil!

Charles Eck
                  Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

Sheppard's were manufactured in Hanover, Pa. about 25 miles from York (the home of the largest Studebaker swap meet). While a relatively small player, they were the first to have a diesel in an American built tractor in early 1949 and the first with a torque convertor (coupled to a 13 speed transmission!). They touted the ease of maintenance on their engines and touted that any farmer with ordinary tools could work on them. When they brought out the last and largest tractor (the SD4) in 1954 it had a high ratio power steering system that was developed in house.

This system was soon being installed in heavy trucks and tractor manufacturing was discontinued in 1956. While they had been active in other business lines (including the first ice machine to dispense the product in bags and their diesel engines) all other lines were dropped in 1963 to concentrate on the power steering business. The R.H. Sheppard company is still going today.

Some pictures below:

Comment

Sheppard's were manufactured in Hanover, Pa. about 25 miles from York (the home of the largest Studebaker swap meet). While a relatively small player, they were the first to have a diesel in an American built tractor in early 1949 and the first with a torque convertor (coupled to a 13 speed transmission!). They touted the ease of maintenance on their engines and touted that any farmer with ordinary tools could work on them. When they brought out the last and largest tractor (the SD4) in 1954 it had a high ratio power steering system that was developed in house.

This system was soon being installed in heavy trucks and tractor manufacturing was discontinued in 1956. While they had been active in other business lines (including the first ice machine to dispense the product in bags and their diesel engines) all other lines were dropped in 1963 to concentrate on the power steering business. The R.H. Sheppard company is still going today.

Some pictures below:

Comment

Gary/Guido: Are extra points available for rare tractor mentions in this discussion? I have a friend here in town with a nicely-restored, mid-30s Plymouth tractor, the marque that became Silver King when Walter P's Company protested using the Plymouth name. [^] (The same friend's father owned a Studebaker years ago, to stay on-topic, here...) BP

Comment

Gary/Guido: Are extra points available for rare tractor mentions in this discussion? I have a friend here in town with a nicely-restored, mid-30s Plymouth tractor, the marque that became Silver King when Walter P's Company protested using the Plymouth name. [^] (The same friend's father owned a Studebaker years ago, to stay on-topic, here...) BP

Comment

Bob, Always extra points when we get on a topic that I actually know something about. Not many Plymouth's around, have you ever seen a Centaur? I used to have a CILM with a Wagner loader. Sols it to make way for a '55 E-28 dump truck.

Comment

Bob, Always extra points when we get on a topic that I actually know something about. Not many Plymouth's around, have you ever seen a Centaur? I used to have a CILM with a Wagner loader. Sols it to make way for a '55 E-28 dump truck.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Craig,

If it is an antique pull, you can probably just use your ears. Just listen for the smooth six cylinder sound.

Okay, to keep it 'Studebaker', there were three of them, including my own that were in the vintage car section. There were LOTS of Hudsons and a couple of Terraplanes to keep the Studes company. As for the tractor show, there were plenty of Olivers to be seen in all models. The most interesting one to me was a 990 with a factory cab. As for the tractor pull part, an Oliver did win the best of its class, though the overall winner was a Massey-Harris.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X