Supply and Demand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply and Demand

I got some disturbing news today. I need a heater valve for my hawk (1544564). So last week I picked up the phone and agreed to pay the $95.00 that was quoted on the vender's website and their newest catalog. Sadley though, now there are only 3 left (2 now) and the price is now $150.00. This is their NOS inventory and I know they didn't have a cost increase. How sad because of greed one of of LARGEST venders they feel its okay to increase prices as the supply goes down. Sadly I've thousand of dollars with this vender to restore my Hawk, but that doesn't matter. Thank goodness this car is almost done.
    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
    J.D.

Sad to hear. I'm not a big fan of NOS stock that would have any type of rubber installed in them to work correctly.
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

rebuild your heater valves with a kit from NAPA for about 12 bucks
      mervyn mundorf
      63 avanti r2 4speed
      83 avanti 20th ann
      64 gt hawk r1 4speed
      and others

Comment

Sorry to hear that it increased that much but I guess I'm a bit more capitalist than that.

I'll bet his cost of business has not decreased, nor stayed the same, and when these are gone his revenue source from them drops to zero. So I'm just suggesting that while the increase seem high, I was at the IM and took my second tour of SI and have come to appreciate the cost of doing business to save and supply these parts. The cost of reproduction is not trivial either.

So while I'm sorry your ox got gored, The alternative is either find long stored parts becoming razor blades or we get used to modifying available parts to fit what we are trying to maintain.

Sorry, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by merv View Post
          rebuild your heater valves with a kit from napa for about 12 bucks
          part number????
          sigpic

Packardbakerly,
          J.D.

Comment

agree with Merv, or take the old one to a local plumbing supply to get a rebuild kit.

Comment

I disagree with your 'greed' premise.
              I'll leave it at that, with no further comment.

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
              I got some disturbing news today. I need a heater valve for my hawk (1544564). So last week I picked up the phone and agreed to pay the $95.00 that was quoted on the vender's website and their newest catalog. Sadley though, now there are only 3 left (2 now) and the price is now $150.00. This is their NOS inventory and I know they didn't have a cost increase. How sad because of greed one of of LARGEST venders they feel its okay to increase prices as the supply goes down. Sadly I've thousand of dollars with this vender to restore my Hawk, but that doesn't matter. Thank goodness this car is almost done.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've been following the eBay prices on NOS heater control valves, and it seems like the generic Ranco replacments go for about $90 - $100, and the NOS application-specific Studebaker valves go for more than that. So, while $150 is a good bit, it may not be too out of line.

However, as several have commented, the seal may or may not last too long on a NOS one before it starts to leak. The replacement seals are available and the valves are not too hard to rebuild (if you have one to rebuild).
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by RareBird View Post
                  part number????
                  i don't have a NAPA part no. just ask for a heater valve rebuild kit always worked for me
                  mervyn mundorf
                  63 avanti r2 4speed
                  83 avanti 20th ann
                  64 gt hawk r1 4speed
                  and others

Comment

I just got ahold of my local NAPA. Rebuild kit is 660-1000 and runs about $12.00. While some may not agree that it isn't fair to inflate prices because of availabilty, as a Parts Manager I will ALWAYS honor advertised prices. It's just good business.
                    sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                    J.D.

Comment

"as a Parts Manager I will ALWAYS honor advertised prices. It's just good business."

Agreed! The vendor can charge what they want, but that should be the price they advertise.
                      The printed catalog may be wrong, but the website is easily updated.

Comment

There are several sites online which discuss and show how to rebuild the valve. Goggle Ranco heater valves, rebuild, etc.
                        Only the rubber seal is available. #6601000
                        Be aware that you have to tear the whole valve down in order to replace the seal.
                        Those little metal tabs are tough.
                        When you tear it down and when you put it back together, be extremely careful around the brass bellows.
                        It is filled with ether or some sort of gas.
                        DO NOT pinch or poke or rupture the bellows. It stinks to high heaven, stings your eyes and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. PTOOEY ! And then requires a replacement.
                        They are unobtainium, new.
                        Unless you have a spare valve with a good bellows.
                        The good news is that the same style Ranco valve was used by many different manufactures for many years with little change.
                        Luckily I found parts from Buicks.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I think your subject line captured it. "Supply and demand" sums it up. When something's scarce, the price goes up.

When I bought Barney, there was a new, reproduction '63 hood ornament in a box in the trunk. My car is a Standard and didn't come with the ornament, so I decided to put it on eBay. At the time, SI and all the other vendors were completely out of stock on these, and I sold it for about 50% more than it would have gone from from the SI catalog (had any been available). 6 months later, they were back in stock at the vendors. Now, was I greedy? Should I be vilified for making a premium on what was, at the time, a hard-to-get item?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Yeah definitely Clark you're a Villain!

Of course not, you were paid what it's market value was at the time.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                              I think your subject line captured it. "Supply and demand" sums it up. When something's scarce, the price goes up.

Now, was I greedy? Should I be vilified for making a premium on what was, at the time, a hard-to-get item?
                              Not a'tall, my friend.You are a private party, not a business.Also,you sold that part at your 'advertised price'and didn't deviate from that.
                              {Side story here:A few years ago I sent roof end caps up to Philadelphia to get re-chromed; cost $110.Several months later, the same parts appear in "the catalog".Cost $75 for the pair.Ya win some, ya lose some.}

Comment

Working...
                              X