Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avantidon
    replied
    Come to Colorado Springs next year Gary and we can stay up all nght again straightening out the Avanti judging. Just kidding as i do not think it is going to be a problem at all out there as both the SDC and AOAI organizations are in lock step on producing a great event. Just hope all come out to see what Colorado Springs is all about. I know I have been there several times and each time all I can think of is when will I be back.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Green53 View Post
    At the IM in Estes Park 1987 a fellow from Colorado had a Studebaker engine in an Avanti II

Denny L
    I see that you added the other I before "someone" could comment on it <G>.
    Wayne F. and I stayed up nearly all night (until five AM) at Estes Park straightening out the Avanti judging situation. I don't remember that car. It doesn't seem like only a quarter of a Century ago <G>.

Leave a comment:

• Green 53
    replied
    At the IM in Estes Park 1987 a fellow from Colorado had a Studebaker engine in an Avanti II

Denny L
    Last edited by Green 53; 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: Missed letter

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Maybe the gentleman was thinking Excalibur?
    Only the very first Excalibur, the prototype originally built for Studebaker, had a Studebaker engine. This wouldn't meet the "handfull" criterion either.
    Last edited by studegary; 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM. Reason: missing ly

Leave a comment:

• arkusvt
    replied
    thanks for all the answers ! i am now assured that the last 35 years of my addiction were not wasted.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    According to John Hull's book, there were 56 Avanti II's for 1965.

Leave a comment:

• rockinhawk
    replied
    How many were built in 65? I was thinking only about 5...

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
    was at a cruise last week and one of the guys there insisted that a handfull of the first off '65 avanti ll's were built with 289 stude engines. i have never heard of this in my 35 plus years of avanti addiction. i'm thinking stude gary could answer this one.
    You have been answered, but since you mention me, I will also chime in. All 1965 Avanti IIs were built with 327 cid Chevrolet V8s.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Leave the Studebaker engine in the Studebaker Avanti. To install one in a Avanti II is 'questionable'....on many levels!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Maybe the gentleman was thinking Excalibur?

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    It would make no sense to put in Stude engines, since the foundry had closed at the start of the '65 model year. They wouldn't have wanted to supply blocks for a third-party endeavor since they were keeping service stock for their dealer network, and knew that there would be no more new castings coming down the pike.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    I've never heard of Avanti II's of any vintage being factory equipped with Stude engines...actually I've never heard of any post-Studebaker Avanti having a Stude engine...lots of other retro-fitted engines...Cadillac, Mopar, Ford, big-block Chevy, LS-series Chevy, Buick V6...but never heard of one with a Stude engine.

It's well established that the first few prototype II's had small block Chevy engines...the first being a Corvette 327 from a wrecked car.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    To: arkusvt,------As You would know after those 35 years, If You come across a '65 Avanti II, (or any other year Avanti II) with a Studebaker engine under the hood, that engine was put in after the car left
    the factory. PS......A Studebaker engine option would have been neat though!

Leave a comment:

• arkusvt
    started a topic avanti ll with stude engine ?

avanti ll with stude engine ?

was at a cruise last week and one of the guys there insisted that a handfull of the first off '65 avanti ll's were built with 289 stude engines. i have never heard of this in my 35 plus years of avanti addiction. i'm thinking stude gary could answer this one.
Working...
X