No announcement yet.

Young Folks in the club.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm outside of the "Under 25" window by 6 years, but if you go by my maturity level, I'd be well within range!

Having said that, my almost 3 year old son is absolutely in love with all things Studebaker. We'll sit around at the computer for hours at times looking at Studebaker pictures online, and he can tell me what make most of them are by now. (PS - Odds are pretty good that if you have a Studebaker pic online, he's seen it!) My '60 Sedan is basically called his car, and when he's 16, it's his if he wants it.

We really got to impress a few of our local chapter members this last Saturday. The little man was awake before I left for our Saturday morning Stude breakfast, so I brought him along. Aside from my Lark there was a Champ, two Avanti's, another Lark, and a Commander, and he could name them all. He really wanted to see a hawk and a bulletnose, but we have another meeting soon, so he may get his chance yet.

I wouldn't add them to the tally, but in the campus I live/work on, there are just about 400 boys and girls from about 10-18 years old. Every one that I've talked to thinks my Lark is the coolest car ever. The car itself has almost become a campus legend, so many folks talk about it. Anymore, I'm referred to by people who don't know my name as "the guy with that cool red and black car."

It is amazing. People of all ages seem to love Studebakers. I'd imagine that if there were more "Studebaker Evangelists" out there, and if we funneled some of our resources into it, it would not be too hard to get more youth onboard. Studes are just plain cool. Great thread topic!!
    Last edited by JimC; 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Jim I love that term "Studebaker Evangelists", I wonder what the over 60 crowd thinks of us "young Pups" and our love for these Cars??, my love started really early for pre mid 60's cars, as we had a family farm, full of classic cars for us kids to play in, but always had to be careful around grandmas 51 "bullet-nose", pretty much all the others (51 Merc,59 Imperial,59 Dodge Mayfair,52 Chev,58 Ford,57 Ford,56 Olds,63 Chev,60 ponitiac,61 Comet, etc etc), the 51 Studebaker, is still there (most of it, someone stole the nose cone and some trim off of it), but I'm thinking of bringing it home and tackling it next after the 58, its a beauty, White 4dr Champion and Grandma, would love to see some try and do something with it, anyway off to work and daydreaming 'bout cruzing back to my childhood, playing in those classic cars at the family homestead , have a great day!

Comment

Attracting young folks to Studebakers (or at least not scaring them away) is something all of us enthusiasts can and need to work at. The "21 & Under" t-shirt program was (and still is IMHO) a good idea but it required the young person to own a Stude and register it at the show/event. That pretty much guaranteed that the participant pool would be very small. We probably should have had some less restrictive criteria for earning a free shirt. I remember at the Lancaster IM there were two or three early teens volunteering to park incoming cars. None of them owned a Stude. I gave each one a shirt certificate just for volunteering and they loved it. I bet Joe has handed out a few of those as well. We probably should have done more in that direction as well as raising the age limit to maybe 29 like the NSRA program had.

I too, like JimC's "Studebaker Evangelists" characterization. Some of you may be seeing my "Be A Champion" articles in your chapter newsletter where I write about little things we can do to be a good ambassador for Studebakers and our club. There's nothing in those articles that hasn't been discussed many times on the forum but it never hurts to keep spreading the word.

I think it would be fantastic if someone would do a write-up for each of the young folks listed in this excellent thread (and photo). In fact, wouldn't this be great (and fitting) to read about one of these young persons every month in Turning Wheels? Maybe even have a young person writing about other young Studebaker lovers? Hmmm...our resident young writer, Matthew Burnette has a monthly "Tailgating with Matthew" column. How 'bout it, Matt?
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

This thread is encouraging! In my area we do not seem to have as much interest from the next generation, I am in the over 60 set. As a side note, it is amazing how kids adjust to driving old cars. I set up a 1970 Hornet fastback for my two daughters whom are now in their early thrities. I changed the color from the factory yellow which they balked at to the one of their choice, a medium red. While they did not at first like driving it they soon changed theirs minds as much to my surprise they said it was a boy magnet as the boys had no clue what it was and would come and start up a conversation. Another side benefit was it was better made then the cars of the time (late 1990 -2000's) and survived several accidents much better than the other cars. And they still talk of the good times they had with that Hornet!
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Getting a little help from my 5 year old twin grand daughters. They love cruising around in my 34 Dictator street rod, looking at all the photos in car magazines, and just sitting in my cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64 CNV A&Z.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1675196

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
            55 Speedster (in work)
            63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
            64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
            64 Avanti R2 (completed)
            85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
            89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

OK, We've add another Girl to the mix, 15 boys 7 girls.

as far as the comment about family tradition, I agree that's where most of the young folks come from. My grand sons are 4th generation.

My father owned a 59 Wagon, then a 62 2dr sedan, He gave me a 48 Champion Conv. when I was 16. My daughter Rebecca(Matthew's Mom) drove a 63 Daytona to school,We still have most of that one. Josh's mom never owned a Studebaker but his Dad has had several.(Currently a 53 Studillac). Zack's Mom has a 59 Truck. Their Uncle James has a 51 and a 52 Champion.

As far as the TW articles, Look for Joshua Pair in an upcoming issue with a story about his Lark.

The rest of you young people... Send in your stories. I would love to read more about the Girl Drag Racer.
              Last edited by rockinhawk; 08-16-2012, 06:15 PM.
              Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                Just caught this thread. My daughter is 19 now. She is a drag racer. She got her licence at 16 in her 64 Cruiser. She also raced her Cruiser. She went to prom driving her graduation present (63 Lark). She now races her 63 Lark. Funny story, at 16 with a learner permit NHRA wouldn't allow her to race the Cruiser. The require more licensing than a permit. So she would tow her Jr. Dragster on the trailer to the track with the 63 Lark. We would unload the Jr and she would run it. She was NHRA licensed to do that.

Gordon S
                Cool. The more young people the better. I like the tow car part.

Comment

"I love that term "Studebaker Evangelists", I wonder what the over 60 crowd thinks of us "young Pups" and our love for these Cars??" Well, I am now 61 and first joined SDC when I was 16. Left to raise a family and have a 35 year teaching career. I love this thread and all of the comments and ideas. I am now awaiting for some former students to come and switch out my Champion engine for me. (They offered to do this.)

The secret, I believe, is in driving the cars and taking them to the young 'uns!!! I always took my car to school. When one of my former students heard two other college students, mine, talking about Studebakers on campus; he went up to them and corrected their mispronunciation of StudBaker. They were all amazed to learn that they all had me as a teacher at one point in their high school career.

The point, again, we have to get the cars to them and talk about the car, company and let them touch and feel the history!!! Our enthusiasm is contagious!!!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm 18, but I'm not in the SDC, just on the forum for now. I'm currently in the process of trying purchase a vintage stude I've been lusting after since I was a little kid. Studebakers been my favorite car brand since the first time I saw a golden hawk in hemmings classic car, I love the depth of their history, and theirs something especially cool about an independent car company.

P.S. This is my first real post I just made this acount the other night cause I keep looking stuff up on this forum anyway.
                    Last edited by GThawkwind; 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                      Well I still consider myself part of the younger crowd but I am 28.
                      All things considered, when I hang out at SDC events, no offense to anyone, but I still consider myself part of the younger crowd and I'm 52!
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

GTHawkwind, Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the SDC. Taking a guess you admire GT Hawks, may I suggest that you take advantage of the experience and expertise here as you embark upon your purchase. Let folks here review prospective purchases and help you avoid any pitfalls. Good luck in your search.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                          I'm 18, but I'm not in the SDC, just on the forum for now. I'm currently in the process of trying purchase a vintage stude I've been lusting after since I was a little kid. Studebakers been my favorite car brand since the first time I saw a golden hawk in hemmings classic car, I love the depth of their history, and theirs something especially cool about an independent car company.
                          Hey, welcome to the forums! It's a good crowd. There is the odd grumpy one every now and again, but by large the folks here are about as friendly and welcoming as you can expect.

Golden Hawks are really impressive cars. If you've got a specific one you're looking at, post some photos and ask around here. As weird as it is, the Studebaker world is small enough that someone on this forum has probably driven, or at least looked at, any given Studebaker you can find on the road.

The club is worth joining. I joined at 18 for a couple years, fell off the wagon, and rejoined in my late 20's. The magazine is great, and the networking with your local chapter helps you find all sorts of great stuff (most of the parts from my car came from another guy in our club. In fact, as close as you are to Omaha, he's probably the guy you'd want to chat with for parts once you get a Stude - PM me and I'll send you his details). Lurk around for a while. If you ever find yourself a couple hours south, let me know, and we can coordinate a couple Studes for you to ride in. I've got a Lark that's a lot of fun (don't knock the Lark - it made the cover of the March issue of Hemmings!), and we put on a great orphan show in the spring.

Again, welcome onboard!
                          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Three of my sons and one of my daughters are into Studes.
                            Matt
                            Brisbane
                            Australia
                            sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                              How many of those, however, came into the club without having a family member bring them into the hobby?

Please do not take this as a negative criticism in any way--I'm thrilled to see these things pass along through family members. But I think we could probably do a better job of welcoming a young owner who happened to buy an old Stude because it was different. Or that 15 year old who is car crazy like I was back then.

It is one thing to show up at an event with a parent or uncle introducing you to the group and helping form those relationships--but it is even more difficult for those who don't have that.
                              I'm 25 now, but got my 64 cruiser at 23. I have never really heard of Studebaker before, although I went to a ton of car shows with my 06 eclipse that I have in my car club.
                              One of my dreams has always been getting an old muscle car and just biulding it up and working on it (something easier to work on then my 06, which requires you to be a master tech to do almost anything with).
                              I first saw the stude behind a Monroe Muffler sitting in the dirt with flat tires and weathered beat up paint. Did not think even to even look at it, looked like a brick and was not the muscle car I was looking for. But next time I went it was when they got the motor to turn over and slowly drove it into the bay. Even after 2 years of sitting it just wanted to run sooo bad but something held it back ( after I took the vcarb off I found the base plate was cracked by the vacuum tube and that was probably not letting it idle right) but I asked them if it was a customers car or if they would sell it. Seems the previous owner got it off ebay years back, and when the brakes went and they couldnt get parts they just let it sit and finally let the shop just take the car for a few hundred...

Idk why I bought the car, I still dont like the back end that much but I guess its because its a different car. Now when everyone asks what it is I can tell them its no chevy or a ford.
                              I do wish there was some chapter in my area though as I dont have too much stude guys to hang with, and with this being my first old car I can use help with some things (still cant figure out this dwell thing) but I just love the car now. Its been in quite a few adventures alrdy, especially when my gas guage wasnt working... at least then I thought I was getting decent gas mileage cause I couldnt see the needle drop.

Sorry about lots of blabbering, its definately a different car, and you dont necessary need to be born with the bug in order to be effected.

Comment

RadCruiser - Your profile does not show where you are in NJ. No matter where, you are near to an SDC Chapter. New Jersey is a small state and there are chapters in the north and the south of the state and maybe others as well as in Staten Island, NY, Manhattan, NY and Pennsylvania that may be near to you.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X