Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green tinted glass on mid-50s Studebakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green tinted glass on mid-50s Studebakers?

My 1953 Commander Starliner has tinted glass all around. I don't know that I would call it dark green but it is tinted. The car was ordered with it and sold in Ponca City, OK August of 1953.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

My 1953 Commander Starliner has tinted glass all around. I don't know that I would call it dark green but it is tinted. The car was ordered with it and sold in Ponca City, OK August of 1953.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO
    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Green tinted glass on mid-50s Studebakers?

Greetings, All,

Like many of the mid-50s cars, Studebaker used a dark green tint.

1. Does anyone know what years used the dark green tinted windows on C/K bodies?
      2. Does anyone have a source for windshields, back window and side glass for C-bodies?

thnx, jv

PackardV8
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, my experience with Studebakers has always been on the West Coast. In spite of the fact that Southern Calif. has a rather warm climate, we almost NEVER saw a Studebaker after 1958 WITH tinted glass! MY guess is the Dealers did not want to make the cars any more overpriced vs the competition than they already were! Some had "windshield only" tinted and a few (very few) with A/C had full tint.

Yes the PPG Solex was rather dark for factory tint(I have it on my '54's & '55) but I thought it was industry wide. The few later cars that actually HAD tinted did seem only a bit lighter, possibly because it was LOF or EZ-Eye tinted. They used many types and about 2 brands of glass.

Also over the years glass changed. Up until 1962 they used safety plate laminated (thick) side and rear glass, then in '63 they went to (thinner) solid tempered glass. So the tint could have changed slightly, (or seemed lighter because of the thickness) I don't think there was a big difference, unless you have some "replacement" glass.

All of the glass shops I have been to make the (flat) side glass for older cars. The rear was almost never reproduced, because of low demand. Many Stude. owners have spare rears they would sell, finding one NEAR you is the trick since you would want to pick it up! I think I heard that Champ Glass in Idaho or Phillips Classic Glass in MO can just now get replacement '53-'61 C/K rears.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jack, my experience with Studebakers has always been on the West Coast. In spite of the fact that Southern Calif. has a rather warm climate, we almost NEVER saw a Studebaker after 1958 WITH tinted glass! MY guess is the Dealers did not want to make the cars any more overpriced vs the competition than they already were! Some had "windshield only" tinted and a few (very few) with A/C had full tint.

Yes the PPG Solex was rather dark for factory tint(I have it on my '54's & '55) but I thought it was industry wide. The few later cars that actually HAD tinted did seem only a bit lighter, possibly because it was LOF or EZ-Eye tinted. They used many types and about 2 brands of glass.

Also over the years glass changed. Up until 1962 they used safety plate laminated (thick) side and rear glass, then in '63 they went to (thinner) solid tempered glass. So the tint could have changed slightly, (or seemed lighter because of the thickness) I don't think there was a big difference, unless you have some "replacement" glass.

All of the glass shops I have been to make the (flat) side glass for older cars. The rear was almost never reproduced, because of low demand. Many Stude. owners have spare rears they would sell, finding one NEAR you is the trick since you would want to pick it up! I think I heard that Champ Glass in Idaho or Phillips Classic Glass in MO can just now get replacement '53-'61 C/K rears.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jack the only one I have dealt with is Phillips Auto Glass but he is in Missouri, not too handy for you.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Jack the only one I have dealt with is Phillips Auto Glass but he is in Missouri, not too handy for you.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Jack, Russ Jenks, at Champ specialty parts in Idaho Falls is right across the state line for you, a few hours drive. Check him out at champparts.com.

Comment

Jack, Russ Jenks, at Champ specialty parts in Idaho Falls is right across the state line for you, a few hours drive. Check him out at champparts.com.

Comment

Like Gary, my '53 Starlight is E-Z-Eye tinted all around, and not what I would call dark.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Like Gary, my '53 Starlight is E-Z-Eye tinted all around, and not what I would call dark.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Stude Rich, All windsheilds (that are DOT approved) are safty laminated! That's why they don't shatter when a rock hits it, (or the air bags) All side glass and back glas are tempered, (gazillion pieces when shattered) <G> Some of the new Lincolns also have safty laminated side glass, and the will break VERY easy! (don't ask how I know)
                        Any glass shop should be able to make side glass, Windshields Phillips, SI, or Champ all have them. And as far as back glass, I too would think that there are a LOT of spares around! Other then my Avanti, all my back windows will roll up! <G>

Jim
                        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                        their Memorials!

Comment

Stude Rich, All windsheilds (that are DOT approved) are safty laminated! That's why they don't shatter when a rock hits it, (or the air bags) All side glass and back glas are tempered, (gazillion pieces when shattered) <G> Some of the new Lincolns also have safty laminated side glass, and the will break VERY easy! (don't ask how I know)
                          Any glass shop should be able to make side glass, Windshields Phillips, SI, or Champ all have them. And as far as back glass, I too would think that there are a LOT of spares around! Other then my Avanti, all my back windows will roll up! <G>

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                          X