Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'65 Commander fs in PNW on cl for $3700USD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • '65 Commander fs in PNW on cl for $3700USD

    Very sweet, and it sorta has an originalish motor... Swap the wheels for an instant sleeper!
    http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3193492279.html

  • #2
    Pictures usually make a car look a lot nicer than it really is.............but that does look like a lot of car for the money.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Those look like Chevrolet Rally Wheels, which would be 4 3/4" bolt pattern, not Studebaker 4 1/2."

      Any report of the chassis or major driveline components having been changed? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

      Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

      G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

      Comment


      • #4
        The only things that make a Chevy Rally Wheel a Rally Wheel is the trim rings and center cap. The rim itself doesn't really matter outside of being painted the appropriate color and width.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

        Comment


        • #5
          Places like summit racing have been selling rally wheels with different bolt patterns, widths, and center caps without the bowtie on it for a while.
          Here's an example with a dual bolt pattern. Only $53.96 each? Hmmm, maybe this is our answer to cheap replacement wheels. They sell ones that are fully chromed too.
          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-55-5704/

          Center cap for $11.41
          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-29700/?rtype=10
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 08-09-2012, 06:34 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Interesting, John; I was not aware of those in a dual bolt pattern. Thanks for the information.

            It looks like the center caps are retained differently from Studebaker dog-dish caps; that is, they are retained by the Chevy external (to the hub of the cap) "lugs," rather than the external "nubs" of most other stamped wheels.

            Note there are no "nubs" around the outside of this Chevy Rally Wheel's center section, on which the center cap or dog-dish hub cap could be snapped. The center cap must have its own nubs to snap in the groove inside this wheel's center section, not nubs around the outside of the center section:



            'Looks like a good alternative, for sure, as long as one does not want to use Studebaker-specific dog-dish hub caps. Good find. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

            Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

            G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I wondering if a full Stude wheel cover will fit over them. I think they are selling them in 6" widths too. I have a 15x7 chevy rally at home I could try one on.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                I wondering if a full Stude wheel cover will fit over them. I think they are selling them in 6" widths too. I have a 15x7 chevy rally at home I could try one on.
                My guess is that a Stude. Wheel Cover will fit.
                HOWEVER, I do not see any "humps" on each side of the valve stem to prevent them from spinning, if you know a really good welder, maybe they could add some. That could be very tricky though.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  My guess is that a Stude. Wheel Cover will fit.
                  HOWEVER, I do not see any "humps" on each side of the valve stem to prevent them from spinning, if you know a really good welder, maybe they could add some. That could be very tricky though.
                  Are you talking about the 64-65 wheel covers that like to walk? I used the chromed metal valve stems that bolt on in my stock stude wheels. Maybe that would be ok on those rally wheels .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here is an Avanti PayBay Ad that looks like it has exactly what we are talking about:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS:MOTORS:1123


                    However it is not a good ad to promote a fairly nice Car. Due to the "story" it must be a four speed, even though it does not say "Manual Trans." or "Four Speed".

                    No Pics of the (maybe) "Leather" Interior either.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wish that Avanti had more pictures included.
                      sigpic
                      1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I guess folks missed the super cool '65 Cruiser at the South Bend IM that had these very same wheels? I wasn't even there and I managed to see it!!!
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

                        3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

                        past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

                        past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          It looks like the center caps are retained differently from Studebaker dog-dish caps; that is, they are retained by the Chevy external (to the hub of the cap) "lugs," rather than the external "nubs" of most other stamped wheels.

                          Note there are no "nubs" around the outside of this Chevy Rally Wheel's center section, on which the center cap or dog-dish hub cap could be snapped. The center cap must have its own nubs to snap in the groove inside this wheel's center section, not nubs around the outside of the center section: BP
                          The nubs are on the inside of the raised ring in the middle of the wheel. Different but it works.

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            You know, that looks like a Lazy "S" vinyl logo could be easily applied in the center ring...

                            Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                              The nubs are on the inside of the raised ring in the middle of the wheel. Different but it works.
                              Right, John. As I said, no nubs on the outside of the center hump; inside only. The illustrated wheel does have inside nubs; other GM wheels I've seen have an entire ring inside the center hump.

                              The principle is similar: With this arrangement, the hub cap must compress a little to get within the inside nubs, as opposed to the alternate arrangement, when the cap has to stretch a little to get over the outside nubs. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                              Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X