What a great time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a great time!

...despite the heat! First time I've driven a Stude to South Bend in ten years and first time ever without someone driving behind me! Great time...South Bend is definitely more fun when you're driving a Studebaker!

I was happy to bump into and visit with Bob Andrews, Matt from Australia, Gary Lindstrom ("Studegary"), StudeRich (didn't know he was coming out and glad to see he's feeling well), Dave Arnold, Bob Palma (of course!...the best goodwill ambassador for this hobby there is, IMO!), and also to meet Brent ("Milaca" on the forum) and Craig Parslow for the first time...great conversations with all! I'm sure I'm missing some folks, excuse me, but I had a wonderful time!

Got to meet Mary Anne and Jerry Hanson, who had owned an Avanti new back in '63 and just recently bought a beautiful, low-mileage gold '64 R1 serial no. 5634, built on the last day of production! They looked like they were enjoying themselves a lot.

Enjoyed meeting Larry from Oregon (last name escapes me now), at the Polish Dinner, who has a flock of '63 and '64 Studes, my favorite vintages, including an Avanti-powered Jet Green '64 GT, which is my favorite Stude of all!

At the hotel (Country Inn and Suites) in Mishawaka, I met Wayne Remaly, who drove his beautiful gray '38 President Sedan to the meet. Like me, Wayne is apparently a 'morning person' and we had several nice conversations in the parking lot of the hotel.

Brent...who had the gorgeous black '64 R2 GT on the trailer in the hotel lot Friday morning? That car made my knees weak! LOL

I was happy to get my old friend Carl E. Filer, Jr., who along with his Dad had been a Stude dealer from '26 to '66, there at the meet. He enjoyed meeting everyone and seemed to particularly enjoy both the Administration Building tour (having been inside in years long-past) and the tour of the back of Studebaker International (he wanted his picture taken with Andy there!).

Hats off to the Michiana Chapter. It can't possibly be easy orchestrating an event like that but they pulled it off!

Incidentally, I was also happy to see Avanti no. 5643 make its appearance there. That is the last Studebaker automobile built in the U.S., not just the last Studebaker Avanti, since Avantis were built for a week after Lark-type and Hawk production ended.

I wasn't aware about the drama about Mr. Curtis 'til I got home and saw the forum. I'll have to look at the Jan. TW to see what was so controversial.
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 08-05-2012, 05:06 AM. Reason: added a sentence
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Glad you had a good time Bill. I saw you at SI, but didn't have time to talk. Judy and I had a great week, now, back to reality.
    As for the controversy, I won't add any fuel to the fire, I only hope people remember that there are two sides to every story. Things will work themself out, it is time to get behind the new president and move on, after all, we are the BEST MARQUE, and THE BEST CAR CLUB ON THIS PLANET!
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Donnie, my favorite (and only) wife, and I made it to the fairgrounds Thursday. She was only able to view the pre-war line of cars before having to seek a bench in the shade near the field entrance. I managed to make a quick tour through the field, before finding her and making a quick round in the vendor buildings. In total, our Studebaker experience lasted only about three hours.I was impressed with the attendance and had great conversations with various members, but had to cut our visit short to find a room.

We ended up at a motel in Elkhart and spent the rest of the week touring Amish country. We had a great time. It was Donnie's first time north of Kentucky. Watching her childlike wonderment and interaction with the Amish, expansive flat land, straight country roads, buggy traffic, was worth the trip.

As far as the controversy...like what those horses, pulling the buggies, left lying in the road, there is always a little "unpleasantness" left in the wake of any activity. Hopefully, time and nature will clean up and wash this away too!

We are tired after driving the entire 660 miles home yesterday, but the memories will sustain us while we rest and recover. Glad you had a great time and I hope everyone makes it home safely.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
        Glad you had a good time Bill. I saw you at SI, but didn't have time to talk. Judy and I had a great week, now, back to reality.
        As for the controversy, I won't add any fuel to the fire, I only hope people remember that there are two sides to every story. Things will work themself out, it is time to get behind the new president and move on, after all, we are the BEST MARQUE, and THE BEST CAR CLUB ON THIS PLANET!
        JS
        I sent Mary Anne and husband Jerry down to S.I. before they left for home Wed. and told them that Ed was the owner and that I know Andy P. and had spoken with him the day before. They were pleased to get some Avanti elk material while there. Jim, I trust you made it home without incident....wow, what a drive you have, I know!
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill , didn't get to meet you but I got a good look at your 66 in the hotel parking lot across from Appleby's ....we were there for supper monday night and I spotted the 66 ....of coarse when I see a 66 daytona I have to check it out.....nice car !
          .....and yes it was a gret time
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bill Hope your week was even better after the reappearance of your keys!
            Tom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
              Bill Hope your week was even better after the reappearance of your keys!
              Tom
              Tom, were you the fellow who found them?? If so, THANKS! I wasn't even aware they were missing when Bob Henning gave them to me!
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Yes I was, they were about 10' from your car. Glad to be of help. LOL thought for a second how a nice addition it would make to my collection but didnt bring the enclosed car trailor. Better yet that you didnt know they were missing so werent worried about where you lost them at.
                Tom
                sigpic

Comment

Here we are at the Country Inn & Suites in Mishawaka on Thursday evening. That's Gohdes in the background loading his 1960 convertible. As for the 1964 R2 GT Hawk that Bill mentioned, I didnt get a photo of it but it belongs to Dan White of Maryland. I spoke to his brother in the parking lot whom has a 1962 GT Hawk back home.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Enjoyed meeting you on the fairgrounds field. Have a safe trip home.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bill glad to hear you had a GREAT TIME ,and glad to see that your car ran PERFECT , I fell off a ladder wensday , but I am all right and I am firing on all clyinders and no broken valves. and I have 100% compression in all my clyinders. again you will be telling me about the South Bend meet of 2012 for years to come... again and again but thats what its all about !
                      Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
                        Bill glad to hear you had a GREAT TIME ,and glad to see that your car ran PERFECT , I fell off a ladder wensday , but I am all right and I am firing on all clyinders and no broken valves. and I have 100% compression in all my clyinders. again you will be telling me about the South Bend meet of 2012 for years to come... again and again but thats what its all about !
                        Geez Joe, I'm sorry to hear that! Take 'er easy!
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Bill, it was great to meet a fellow '66 owner, and I actually was able to get a photo of your car without all kinds of spectators around it!

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 04-14-2013, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Craig, great pic, thanks for taking it and sharing!

BTW, I've thought for a little while, that I've got a thing where the top of my front wheels look 'tilted in' at the top (is that 'camber'?). I think so comparing my car to the '64 convert in the background of the photo. Anybody else think so?
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Yes, Bill; that is camber to which you refer. You could have an alignment shop check it; it's easy enough to do.

Or, you could "sorta" check it yourself.

1. Remove either front wheel cover.

2. Find a straight steel rule that will span the distance from the top of the wheel rim to the bottom of the wheel rim. (NOT the tire; the pressure at the bottom will cause the tire sidewall at the bottom to "stick out" more than at the top.

3. With the steel rule accurately positioned between the wheel rim at the top and the wheel rim at the bottom, place a level along the steel rule's vertical run.

4. If the tire really is "in" at the top (negative camber, by the way), the bubble in the level will show you the steel rule is not perfectly vertical, or darn near so, when postioned as described.

If it has been bad for some time, you will note the tire(s) wearing on the inside of the tread faster than the outside. Look at them carefully. You may be able to answer your question without going to all the trouble I just described.

This is only an approximation, of course; camber must be set with more accurate "gauges" than this crude setup! BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X