What a great time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Yes, Bill; that is camber to which you refer. You could have an alignment shop check it; it's easy enough to do.

Or, you could "sorta" check it yourself.

1. Remove either front wheel cover.

2. Find a straight steel rule that will span the distance from the top of the wheel rim to the bottom of the wheel rim. (NOT the tire; the pressure at the bottom will cause the tire sidewall at the bottom to "stick out" more than at the top.

3. With the steel rule accurately positioned between the wheel rim at the top and the wheel rim at the bottom, place a level along the steel rule's vertical run.

4. If the tire really is "in" at the top (negative camber, by the way), the bubble in the level will show you the steel rule is not perfectly vertical, or darn near so, when postioned as described.

If it has been bad for some time, you will note the tire(s) wearing on the inside of the tread faster than the outside. Look at them carefully. You may be able to answer your question without going to all the trouble I just described.

This is only an approximation, of course; camber must be set with more accurate "gauges" than this crude setup! BP
    Once again, I am probably commenting on something I don't know enough about (but when has that ever stopped me) With the tired worn suspensions on my Studebakers, I jack the car up and turn the adjuster all the way out. After the car is back on the ground, I am lucky if they are close to vertical. In Bill's picture, I would say being parked on a grass field and comparing the view to another car on the field is very subjective and not a serious way to make the judgement. Of course, if the car is wandering over the road and not paying much attention to the driver's hand on the steering wheel...that's another matter!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      Once again, I am probably commenting on something I don't know enough about (but when has that ever stopped me) With the tired worn suspensions on my Studebakers, I jack the car up and turn the adjuster all the way out. After the car is back on the ground, I am lucky if they are close to vertical. In Bill's picture, I would say being parked on a grass field and comparing the view to another car on the field is very subjective and not a serious way to make the judgement. Of course, if the car is wandering over the road and not paying much attention to the driver's hand on the steering wheel...that's another matter!
      I agree, John, but was just answering Bill's question.

Since posting that answer, it occured to me that even the camera lens distortion could be a fooler, for that matter. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was a pleasure visiting with you including our over-dinner conversations including things other than Studebakers, like Chevrolets.
        You have an excellent car. Even I only noticed two authenticity items on the exterior of your Sport Sedan <G>.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          It was a pleasure visiting with you including our over-dinner conversations including things other than Studebakers, like Chevrolets.
          You have an excellent car. Even I only noticed two authenticity items on the exterior of your Sport Sedan <G>.
          Why, thank you Gary!

And Bob, thanks for the detailed info on the camber...I'll check it out.

Even looking at the car in person I've felt that for awhile...Bob A. told me he didn't think so. I know I'm fussy!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
          X