Painted the Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted the Lark

After getting quotes from a couple of body shops in my area, I decided to paint the Lark myself. I've painted a few cars in the past and although far from being a pro, I have some decent equipment, and enough experience to be dangerous. I kept it the stock blue mist color. I used PPG Shopline base / clear and am pleased with the results. Just have to buff it out, and re-assemble. I hope to have it all put back together by next weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lark1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1736168Click image for larger version

Name:	lark2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1736169
    Steve
    Buckeye, Arizona

1960 Hawk R2 4 speed project

Looks good. Did you have a paint booth?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I made up a real CASO paint booth. I stapled drop cloths from the ceiling. I opened the door about 18 inches and had a row of furnace filters along the bottom. Two box fans in the window blowing the air out, and that was it!
      Steve
      Buckeye, Arizona

Comment

Very pretty. Please post the finished results when it's all buffed and assembled!
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Nice job!!!! You are talented.
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I love the colour. I self-prepped a VW beetle and sprayed it that colour. When I took the masking off it showed all the grinder marks on the glass. Shouldn't have had those beers, I guess
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

It looks great, I always liked that color on a '63.

Your super highly polished side moldings will be there in time for you to install them this weekend.

Comment

Awesome job!! If you were closer to my neck of the woods I'd have you paint mine!
                BTW thanks for the tech tip on the CASO paint booth!! ;>)

Comment

I had a 63 Daytona HT that color. One of the ones I wish I kept.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Any completed pics? Looks good.
                    Travis..

Comment

Wow... sweet work! Barney is very jealous and is nagging me about when he will be painted, also I love the color too.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Well...Greer, S.c. to Carson City, Nevada...2,519 miles....LOOKS GOOD FROM HERE!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by crashnzuk View Post
                          Any completed pics? Looks good.
                          Travis..
                          I'll take some beauty pics this weekend and post them up. I'm pleased with the way it came out.
                          Steve
                          Buckeye, Arizona

Comment

I have a host of cars that are waiting for a fresh coat of paint. Like you I have had some experience... but that was a -- l o n g -- time ago. What was your cost vs the quotes you were getting?

Tom
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                              I have a host of cars that are waiting for a fresh coat of paint. Like you I have had some experience... but that was a -- l o n g -- time ago. What was your cost vs the quotes you were getting?

Tom
                              I did all the prep and epoxy primer work myself and stripped all the trim, but the problem is that the shops I talked to were all scared to put their name on the finished product, since they did not do the prep themselves. I had quotes from $2250.00 to $4000.00
                              I bought the sealer, basecoat & clear and all the related reducers and hardeners from a PPG distributor for around $500.00.
                              Steve
                              Buckeye, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X