Plea to Alan Songer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Post Script - File under lessons learned: Can't count the number of project cars built for wives, girlfriends, sons, daughters, grandchildren, which were not appreciated as much as was hoped. We tend to build what we like, not what they want to drive. One friend couldn't understand why his son wouldn't drive a restored 1931 Model A Ford sedan to high school. Another body shop friend can't understand why his wife is afraid to drive a show-quality Chevy pickup with a very hot big block 427" in it.

Take the intended recipient to several shows and ask what they like and why. Ask over a period of time. Then build once.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
    Yeah, but since my wife was the one who got ME into Studebakers and because she had been driving them as DAILY transport for ten years when I presented the Lark to her, I thought I was on safe ground--her Hawk was a 289 4bbl 4-speed, so the Lark was pretty similar! It's just that she had her eyes on a C-Cab for some time and I didn't think she was really SERIOUS about driving a pickup as her daily transport--but she WAS! Which is cool, as the E7 has been THE most reliable vintage vehicle we have ever owned--ten years and over 75,000 miles without a hiccup--no kidding--not ONE breakdown other than a couple of dead batteries!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Post Script - File under lessons learned: Can't count the number of project cars built for wives, girlfriends, sons, daughters, grandchildren, which were not appreciated as much as was hoped. We tend to build what we like, not what they want to drive. One friend couldn't understand why his son wouldn't drive a restored 1931 Model A Ford sedan to high school. Another body shop friend can't understand why his wife is afraid to drive a show-quality Chevy pickup with a very hot big block 427" in it.

Take the intended recipient to several shows and ask what they like and why. Ask over a period of time. Then build once.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
      Yeah, but since my wife was the one who got ME into Studebakers and because she had been driving them as DAILY transport for ten years when I presented the Lark to her, I thought I was on safe ground--her Hawk was a 289 4bbl 4-speed, so the Lark was pretty similar! It's just that she had her eyes on a C-Cab for some time and I didn't think she was really SERIOUS about driving a pickup as her daily transport--but she WAS! Which is cool, as the E7 has been THE most reliable vintage vehicle we have ever owned--ten years and over 75,000 miles without a hiccup--no kidding--not ONE breakdown other than a couple of dead batteries!

Comment

quote:...my wife was the one who got ME into Studebakers and ... she had been driving them as DAILY transport for ten years ....she had her eyes on a C-Cab for some time and I didn't think she was really SERIOUS about driving a pickup as her daily transport--but she WAS!
        Where can I find a woman like that? Really, I'm single and searching.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:...my wife was the one who got ME into Studebakers and ... she had been driving them as DAILY transport for ten years ....she had her eyes on a C-Cab for some time and I didn't think she was really SERIOUS about driving a pickup as her daily transport--but she WAS!
          Where can I find a woman like that? Really, I'm single and searching.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

That is such a sweet looking little Lark! The "Custom" trim level was never pushed enough by Dealers, or the factory. It really did not sell well or ever catch-on at all. Most people did not seem to know it existed. They sold way more Regal models. [^]

Some people say it's the name thing, since Custom (on a Studebaker) always used to mean (before '63)a stripped down cheapie! Maybe that is one reason it did not survive after '63!

I always liked those so much better than the Regal or Standard, because I like the up grades like that way COOL '62 Daytona like brushed aluminum "tang" hanging down on the quarter panel, stainless steel framed side windows, carpeting, and really neat door panel and seat design.

In fact in 1963 I had one all "spec-ed out": Custom 2dr., accessories, R1 engine, 4 speed, Blue (WOW, it was the same! imagine that!) had all the dealer prices all ready to go, only one problem...the money! [xx(]

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is such a sweet looking little Lark! The "Custom" trim level was never pushed enough by Dealers, or the factory. It really did not sell well or ever catch-on at all. Most people did not seem to know it existed. They sold way more Regal models. [^]

Some people say it's the name thing, since Custom (on a Studebaker) always used to mean (before '63)a stripped down cheapie! Maybe that is one reason it did not survive after '63!

I always liked those so much better than the Regal or Standard, because I like the up grades like that way COOL '62 Daytona like brushed aluminum "tang" hanging down on the quarter panel, stainless steel framed side windows, carpeting, and really neat door panel and seat design.

In fact in 1963 I had one all "spec-ed out": Custom 2dr., accessories, R1 engine, 4 speed, Blue (WOW, it was the same! imagine that!) had all the dealer prices all ready to go, only one problem...the money! [xx(]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X