Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often was a manual hood mechanism used in the early 50's cars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often was a manual hood mechanism used in the early 50's cars ?

I took delivery of my "third" Conestoga this morning.
    A 54 flathead, three speed.

Taking a close look at the under hood wiring has made me think twice about driving it much while it's awaiting low miles 259, and a new wire harness to be installed.
    Not sure why it's not charging, but it seems to be running only on the Optima battery...! There is a new regulator on the firewall...maybe it hasn't been properly polerized. I'll try that tomorrow, but the wiring still looks pretty bad. Kinda afraid if it catching fire...!?

Anyway, the hood latch....it's fully mechanical, with an arm comming out between the grill bar teeth. Doesn't appear as though there was a cable ever there, this includes under the dash..?
    Anyone else seen this...or is it maybe a real good swap from a later car ? By real good, I mean...no old tell-tale signs of a previous cable.

Thanks

Mike

At least all 53's and 54's were this way...maybe 55's?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

They did not put INSIDE hood releases on until '58 or 1959 when there was no longer any access to the left side grille, Hawk and Lark. However they had them on 1951's and maybe a few more. I've forgotten what was on those old '47-'50's and '52 probably did have one like '51.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

1950 Champions had an inside hood release.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

My '54 sedan does not have an inside hood release, it is like the outside release you describe.

Do your other two Conestogas have inside releases? What years are they?
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

My56 Hawk opens through the side grill. My 57 opens from under the bumper.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              They did not put INSIDE hood releases on until '58 or 1959 when there was no longer any access to the left side grille, Hawk and Lark. However they had them on 1951's and maybe a few more. I've forgotten what was on those old '47-'50's and '52 probably did have one like '51.
              '47 Commander I had some years ago had an inside release.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

It was probably used every time the car pulled into the gas station. Those were the days of full service, you got your oil checked with every fill up.
                TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

47-49s are inside release. '62 Hawk is outside release.
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

My 51 and 66 are inside. Champ truck is outside.
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks for the info...but....two of my three, a 54 and a 55 wagon ARE inside (cable powered) the car...! So...not "all" are mechanical as some note.
                      This new one is the oddball, at least in my little stable of early cars.

Interesting that it seems to be not "that" different.

Thanks all

Mike

Comment

Mike,
                        I think your 54 and 55 have been modified for the inside release. Fairly easy to do with later junk yard parts.

Check your parts manual. I have the 51-54 Chassis Parts Catalog. Check plate 16-3 through 16-6 for illustrations of the hood locking mechanism (pages 295-298), then page 311 for the actual part numbers. No inside hood release shown...only the lever that you reach through the grill to pull.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick -

While my first 54, "may" have been modified (I doubt it though, was done VERY thurough), the 55 is a virgin in all respects and has been sitting for a VERY long time with...other than a crashed in right side, has no modifications, or even very many upkeep parts for that matter.

This (new) wagon also has a quarter panel Stude badge that I've never seen on a 54 car. With no welded or filled holes.
                          I can attest from past cars, just because the "book" says something...doesn't always make it so.
                          Not meaning to give you a hard time....just stating known experiences from known cars.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X