Intimate encounter with Studebaker parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intimate encounter with Studebaker parts

I was looking for several things (parts) out in the shop this morning. Wife off working - me here alone - save for our parrots, of course.
    Having found a brake drum I was looking for, I grabbed a measureing tape to check it's outermost dimensions. Tape in hand, I start back towards where the drum lie waiting. Stuff all over the floor, I step gingerly to avoid slipping on something as I go.
    What I didn't expect was for an idle engine stand to snag the lower pocket on the carpenter's shorts I had on. With my weight perilously committed to debris avoidance, the unexpected and unyielding intervention of the engine stand's finger was all it took to pull me off balance and backwards into various boxes, pans and piles of this that and the other.
    Hands groping to break my tumble, the right one instinctively grasps the first solid thing it clutches - the upright of the engine stand. This causes to stand to rear up on it's main wheels and whack me in the back. It's intriguing to recall my thoughts as I was going down: "Oh sh*t, this is gonna hurt!" while my hands and the rest of me instinctively did what they do while one's falling.
    Amazingly, it didn't really hurt! I did see stars for a moment, but once I took inventory, I had one tiny scratch on my thumb - didn't even bleed.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

So, is the next project to clean up the shop?
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I am glad that you are okay and were able to get up by yourself.
      Your subject/title had me conjuring up a different image in my mind <G>. Now I am trying to erase that image.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Pat, I won't live that long! Gary, I'm not that despe4rate - yet.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What's most important is the condition of the Studebaker parts after you having fallen on them. Are they okay? Just kidding, glad you are okay.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob don't you know when you get to be our age you don't leave home alone not even to the shop, might have laid there for hours and the think what she would have to do with all the junk, glad you not hurt, been there done that.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              I did see stars for a moment, but once I took inventory, I had one tiny scratch on my thumb - didn't even bleed.
              Of course those 'stars' that you saw were the ones on the side of Pete!

Craig

Comment

Life Alert commercial. "I've fallen on a engine stand and can't get up"

Comment

I've been amazing myself of late. I didn't have any trouble gettring up after I went down. Of course, being on my back, I could have thrust myself up like some acrobat, but I managed to roll to my right til I was on my knees, and then pushed myself up. Admittedly, had I broken something, I might still be there.

Milaca, I DID land on some used main bearing shells - they WERE reusable, but I'll toss them now. I confess I ain't organized - never have been. What I need to do is borrow the neighbors trailer - back it up to the shop and start tossin' - then go cash in at the scrapper.

Comment

Glad you're OK, Bob. No fun, even if there aren't any scars

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It Was a Horrendous Crash!

I'm glad you are OK, Bob... I should have taken heed of your unfortunate incident.

Thought of you tonight after an horrendous spill of my own.

My chariot tripped over a seam in the concrete, resulting in a most horrific, slow motion fall to the ground:

Still cleaning up the wreckage.
                      Last edited by Studedude; 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Ouch! Hope it didn't scar your head.

Comment

You know what I did when my garage got too full of Studebaker parts? I rented another garage.

On a related topic, guess what my wife wants me to do this week before our vacation time is over.
                          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            Ouch! Hope it didn't scar your head.
                            Nope, I was nowhere near the hood J hook!

But, I do have a sore shoulder.
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                              ... guess what my wife wants me to do this week before our vacation time is over.
                              Rent yet another garage?

What a woman!

She got a sister?

(Don't tell What's Her Face I asked).
                              Last edited by Studedude; 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X