Studebaker Myths and Misconceptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mapman View Post
    I fear that any list you make could become obsolete before it could be published. Here's one to add.
    Rob
    Ok that didn't work

Try this
    "In 1962 ANDY GRANATELLI bought 10 1956 Packard V8 352 Cu. In. engines for his race cars. They all had dual 4 barrel carburetors. He had the engines bored to 374 Cu. In. (The engine is not originally a 374) After this, He added McCulloch superchargers and after tuning the engines to the extent he wanted them, he placed them in the Studebaker cars and used them to attempt to beat the land speed record in the Bonneville Salt Flats."

The story is BS, but the boat and engine are BEAUTIFUL!

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

My grandpa had one. Looked like a corn picker. Couldn't tell if it was going frontward or backward. (Probably in re: to 50-51s).

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        My grandpa had one. Looked like a corn picker. Couldn't tell if it was going frontward or backward. (Probably in re: to 50-51s).
        I think it was the '52s that were called corn pickers:

The "coming or going" question covered several years and models, methinks.
        Last edited by Studedude; 05-25-2012, 06:53 PM.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
          I think it was the '52s that were called corn pickers:
          I believe it was the 1950 and 1951 that were referred to as corn pickers being that the front (with the bumper removed) looked like a two-row corn picker. The 1952 looks more like a bean picker.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Dick, He, Granatelli, also went out to the Proving Grounds. He "showed" the test drivers how to do it ... which meant he destroyed a new set of street while "showing" the fellows how to test drive. He was described as a total jerk by those that were there.

Comment

Originally posted by pointer42 View Post
              Dick, He, Granatelli, also went out to the Proving Grounds. He "showed" the test drivers how to do it ... which meant he destroyed a new set of street while "showing" the fellows how to test drive. He was described as a total jerk by those that were there.
              Fred,
              Now don't take this wrong.......
              But you are eleven post's new to this forum (looking at your post count using this screen name)
              and you have already started to write/correct/re-write Studebaker history.
              This forum is full of very enthusiastic, and sometimes mis-informed posters, and readers.
              Your correcting history is always welcome, as there is a lot of 'lore' that is heresay, or passed down from person to person.
              Your opinions are always welcome, as we need to get a good cross section of viewpoints.
              But...
              You need to elaborate more than just an expletive, or a comment like "Ask someone who was there"....
              OK, I am asking... Tell me the story, the whole story, and the details about the story, all backed up with facts.
              Not nitpicking, but trying not to see more added to the 'lore' that could become fact without being verified.
              I, for one, like your spunk. But I want more than just the tidbits you have tossed out.
              Please post more often, and share your stories with us all.
              Thanks!
              Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                I believe it was the 1950 and 1951 that were referred to as corn pickers being that the front (with the bumper removed) looked like a two-row corn picker. The 1952 looks more like a bean picker.
                Here in New England, I have heard them referred to as a "Clam Digger" front end due to their similarities to a clam rake!

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
                  I think the top ten list could sum up all the Engine Myths with the question "Didn't Studebaker use Chrysler/Ford/Chevy motors?" with the answer "No. Studebakers were always powered by Studebaker motors. The only exception to this were 65-66 models, which used motors made By McKinnon in Canada. While the McKinnon plant made near identical motors for both Studebaker and GM, the motors that went into Studebakers were specifically ordered for Studebakers, and had never been destined for any GM vehicle."
                  LOVE your blog and pics!!! :-) We are just finishing up a resto of our 60 lark hardtop.... great cars aren't they? Can't wait to see more of your pics.
                  '60 Lark Hardtop, Red Bluff, CA
                  sigpic

Comment

Studebaker Took Packard
                    Sex Takes Practice
                    STP was Studebakers (wasn't it?) but I noticed for years after auto production stopped that you could still purchase Studebaker Corp. STP. When did that change? In the 70"s.
                    I have a fender from a wrecking yard that has 60's Rambler written on it.
                    Oh yeah didn't you know that the 65-66 283 were GMC truck motors!!

Comment

• Originally posted by michelle View Post
                      LOVE your blog and pics!!! :-) We are just finishing up a resto of our 60 lark hardtop.... great cars aren't they? Can't wait to see more of your pics.
                      Thanks! I have the entire next week off, so I'm going to try and get a bunch done, and there will definitely be pics. You need to pass along some pics of your hardtop. I'm going to have a lot of fun doing my sedan, but the hard will always be my favorite, and I hope that someday I can get another.

Since we're talking about myths, the maintenance guy where I store my cars (41 Frank got to meet him) grew up in South Bend. He absolutely dislikes Studebaker cars, and one time claimed that nobody in South Bend ever bought them, even though they were made in their own town. They were just that awful.

I've learned just to smile and nod while he talks.
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

• I just hate it when showing my 57 Champion and people refer to it as a 57 Chevy. My answers to them get me membership in the Grumpy Old Man Club!
                        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          Fred,
                          Now don't take this wrong.......
                          But you are eleven post's new to this forum (looking at your post count using this screen name)
                          and you have already started to write/correct/re-write Studebaker history.
                          This forum is full of very enthusiastic, and sometimes mis-informed posters, and readers.
                          Your correcting history is always welcome, as there is a lot of 'lore' that is heresay, or passed down from person to person.
                          Your opinions are always welcome, as we need to get a good cross section of viewpoints.
                          But...
                          You need to elaborate more than just an expletive, or a comment like "Ask someone who was there"....
                          OK, I am asking... Tell me the story, the whole story, and the details about the story, all backed up with facts.
                          Not nitpicking, but trying not to see more added to the 'lore' that could become fact without being verified.
                          I, for one, like your spunk. But I want more than just the tidbits you have tossed out.
                          Please post more often, and share your stories with us all.
                          Thanks!
                          Jeff

Well, the information that I pass on is from personal observation (I was there) or from what my Father (on site supervisor of the Proving Grounds) or from my Uncle (in town supervisor of the Proving Grounds) said in my presence. Dad worked there for 23 years and not sure how long my Uncle was there, but I was told by my Father that his brother was once offered the Chief Engineer's position. My two positions "on the line" as summer work also gives me a little perspective, plus living in South Bend for my first 20 years or so helps too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                            You are correct Kurt. I should have wrote that Studebaker built C & K type coupes from 1953 to 1964. And yes, I probably should have included the 'Hawk' as a stand alone name but that may only confuse the non-Studebaker folks even more.
                            The "HAWK" will have to be included,otherwise I have no defense against the argument that my '61 "has to be a Golden or a Silver,so which is it?" -Even at the last car show I attended,a man standing right at the front of the fin by the "HAWK" emblem asked 'silver or golden' when I explained,he turned and walked away[as if I didn't know what I was talking about!]
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

• pointer42, sounds like you have much more personal experience than most everyone here. Please share some more stories. We would love to hear them.

Comment

• To: pointer42, I'm all for more Proving Grounds/testing stories, and it sounds like You may have them. by all means tell us more! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X