New one in the works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New one in the works

I'll have a new to me Studebaker in a few days. The car is a 65 Cruiser thats been on Craigslist and ebay a bit over the past few months. The previous owner had it for 20 years and has all records. There are a couple small issues that need to be addressed up front, valve cover gaskets (its a 283), carb overhaul and cooling hoses. I drove it yesterday and its a smooth runner, it has the flanged axles, power disc brakes, radio still works, all rockers work except for the fan switch. The paint job is decent. The one thing that is weird on the car is that the tranny was rebuilt and the rebuilder changed it from a pndlr to a prndl. The shift linkage needs to be adjusted as it pops out of park. It has the montgomery ward air conditioning system with york compressor (non-functional). The list isn't too long to take care of. I want to whip her into shape for a South Bend trip in July. The ad is still up on Craigslist here is the post with pictures

Nice looking car. It should be a good driver.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes, it should, I took Anne Goodman's advice and waited till I could find a good strong car. This one will be making lots of appearances at the shows.

Comment

Wow, That is a nice one.
        Good advice from Anne and your patience seems to have paid off.

I badly want a car I can drive. So bad that I'll get there some day.

Dean.

Comment

Wow That looks really Good. So glad you found a really nice one. A few mechanical ' And you are off to the Races so to speak. Fantastic. I am honored that You heard me.
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

Good lookin' ride Bob. Have fun with it.
            Cruisers can be alot of fun, honest.

You'll have to find out what trans it's got before I can offer advice...
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I heard you loud and clear Anne. I've been driving new stuff the past few years. They just don't have the character of the older stuff. My current car is all computerized and has network problems. In the past 6 months, the waranty has paid out over $5k in repairs. The current repair is a transmission because the computer wasn't communicating and it fried itself. I maxed out the waranty and have about $3k more in repairs to come out of pocket to make it operational ($600 for a new interior door handle, its one piece with the door panel and a $1500 heater core repair, and a $1200 compressor for a/c). The reason I went after the 65 model is that any corner shop can fix it without costing an arm and a leg. I don't know which transmission the 65 has. But I'm quite sure even if it needed to be replaced it could cost less to do than the stupid door handle and heater core on the new one).

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                Wow, That is a nice one.
                Good advice from Anne and your patience seems to have paid off.

I badly want a car I can drive. So bad that I'll get there some day.

Dean.
                Dean, check out my auction on e-bay right now the bust driver you will find an original 63 Rose mist cruiser 83,000 miles original a true survivor detail it under the hood and win a first place at the meets in the survivor class, reserve is a little over that of asking price of the 65 cruiser, one fine car . take a look and give me a call if interested... 510-266-2522
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkcustom View Post
                  The one thing that is weird on the car is that the tranny was rebuilt and the rebuilder changed it from a pndlr to a prndl.
                  I wonder if it still has a Borg Warner transmission. Maybe it was replaced with a GM trans.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

You'll really appreciate the cloth interior in Palm Springs. That car looks impressive for sure. A/C should be an easy fix but you'll have to convert it to R-134 unless you can evacuate the system yourself, then get some "Freeze 12" & recharge it. I used that from e-bay 2 or so years ago in my 93 Ranger & it still blows real cold. The kit came with a can of oil & 2 or 3 cans of freon. 2 cans was enough to charge my system.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      Dean, check out my auction on e-bay right now the bust driver you will find an original 63 Rose mist cruiser 83,000 miles original a true survivor detail it under the hood and win a first place at the meets in the survivor class, reserve is a little over that of asking price of the 65 cruiser, one fine car . take a look and give me a call if interested... 510-266-2522
                      Thanks for the offer Bob I'm sure its a nice one but the only way I could get a second car is to at least somewhat wrap this one up.
                      Hint, Hint, Got any spare time on your hands ???

Dean.

Comment

Curious what happened on the '65 Cruiser that started this thread. Just noticed it's back up on eBay when I thought Bob had purchased it?
                        \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                        \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

VERY nice.

Comment

Thats a great looking car!

Comment

Working...
                            X