Avanti Engine Trivia Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Engine Trivia Questions

It has been awhile since I posted a trivia question, so I thought that I would do a double.

1) How many Avantis were factory built with other than an OHV V8?

2) Approximately how many Avantis were factory built with other than a pushrod valve V8 engine?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Hmmm.

No stock studes for either. In later years did someone try a V6? Don't know the answer to that one. As for pushrods, didn't the newer ones come with DOHC V8s?

Comment

Are you refering to just Studebaker Avanti's or later ones?

Denny L

Comment

Probably referring to the rebodied Mustangs AKA the last Avantis.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
          Are you refering to just Studebaker Avanti's or later ones?

Denny L
          ALL Avantis (1963-2007).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Steve James 2006 V-6 convertible

Comment

Steve James 2006 V-6 convertible
              Is this an answer/guess to questions 1 or 2 or 1&2?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Answer to #1

Denny L

Comment

Answer to #1

Denny L
                  I don't know the owner's name and I thought that the ONE six cylinder Avanti was a 2007. I will consider you to be correct for question number 1. Now we need someone to get the answer to question number 2.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I would think that number is not exact...the Ford 4.0 V6 and the 4.6 V8's are single overhead cam design engines...according to John Hull's book it's estimated thirty-eight Avantis with the Ford engines were built.
                    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I've seen the V6 Avanti as it had shown up at the South Bend May meet a couple years ago. Before Kelly went to the pokey and Avanti manufacturing shut down, they were doing some experimenting with other engines in the Avanti. They used the Ford's V6 as it was reasoned that they could get about as much power from a V6, as they could from the V8's that they have been using for years. Makes sense, even if two cylinders are missing .....
                      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        I would think that number is not exact...the Ford 4.0 V6 and the 4.6 V8's are single overhead cam design engines...according to John Hull's book it's estimated thirty-eight Avantis with the Ford engines were built.
                        Yes, you got the answer to question number 2. Your "not exact" is why I started question number 2 with "Approximately".
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                          I've seen the V6 Avanti as it had shown up at the South Bend May meet a couple years ago. Before Kelly went to the pokey and Avanti manufacturing shut down, they were doing some experimenting with other engines in the Avanti. They used the Ford's V6 as it was reasoned that they could get about as much power from a V6, as they could from the V8's that they have been using for years. Makes sense, even if two cylinders are missing .....
                          I do not consider the V6 to be an experiment. The 2007 Avanti brochure lists specifications for both the V6 and the V8. I wouldn't mind the V6, but I think that most original owners of Avantis at that time wanted a V8. I believe that is why only one V6 was built. I do not mind that one V6, except for its color - sort of a rose.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                          X