TW mention of 1963 Lark engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW mention of 1963 Lark engines

I always enjoy the writings by Andrew Beckman in the Turning Wheels Magazine; this latest issue was no exception.
    He mentions that a Lark-Regal could be ordered with 5 different engines and 5 trannys.

I can think of three engines, 289, OHV-6 and Flatrhead -6

On Trannys I think Automatic, Std-OD and just Standard

I know I'mmissing something and I'm curious.

Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Actually, I count 6 engines...

Skybolt 6 (OHV...the flathead 6 was long gone by '63)
    259 CID 2 barrel (I don't believe a 4 barrel 259 was a factory option in 63...I could be wrong)
    289 CID 2 barrel
    289 CID 4 barrel
    R1
    R2

For tranys...
    Flightomatic
    Powershift
    4 speed
    3 speed
    3 speed w/OD

EDIT: I just checked my 1963 brochure. Bill is correct (as usual). The 4 barrel 259 WAS a factory option in '63
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

In a '63, Andy's probably talking about the OHV 6, the 180 hp 2-barrel 259, the 195 hp 4-barrel 259, the 210 hp 2-barrel 289, the 225 hp 4-barrel 289, the R1 and R2 engines...actually seven engine choices if you count 'barrels'.

Transmissions available were 3-speed, 3-speed with OD, 4-speed, Flightomatic ('PNDLR') and Powershift ('PRND21').
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Well, if we're gonna count displacements of V8s, then we should also mention VARIANTS of 3-spd trannies. 6cylk cars could be fitted with a T90 3-spd (as opposed to the T96), and V8s could be had with a T89 3-spd (as opposed to the T86). Both these being heavy duty units for service duty cars.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Engines....R1, R2, R3, R4 plus the standard 289, 259 and 170. Oh, and how about that Perkins diesel?
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Curiousity satisfied. I am once again awed by the shear depth of knowledge on this forum.
            Thanks Guys, Murray

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Engines....R1, R2, R3, R4 plus the standard 289, 259 and 170. Oh, and how about that Perkins diesel?
            Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

You guys aint as sharp as you think <GGGG> no one mentioned the 289 Ford engine that went into some Larks.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                While the R1 and R2 engines were optional in 63V Larks and Hawks starting with the begining of the model year, the R3 and R4 engines never were. The R3 and R4 weren't available as options untill the '64 model year. The Perkins diesel was never available as an option. The 10 diesel powered Larks were spec'd. and built to be sent out to selected businesses for evaluation. When the engineering evaluation was completed, the plan was to offer them as a 1964 model, something that never happened.
                R2Andrea

Comment

On the transmissions, the 6 cylinder FOM was different than the 8 cylinder FOM. Also, I wonder if the heavy duty FOM (water cooled) was an option as it was in the Hawks?
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

The 6 cylinder automatic transmission for 1963 was not even a Flightomatic variation - It was the Model 35, lighter duty but a new design. And, if you really want to be bored with obscure details, The first 825 LHC 63S vehicles has the previous Flightomatic, after that had the Model 35.

Comment

Working...
                    X