Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique License Registration or Regular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Oklahoma you first pay regular license fee, show proof of insurance, and get current year registration sticker for the latest version of OK license plate. After doing this you fill out a form registering the regular license plate and registration numbers on the same form with your vintage YOM license plate number. This allows the State Dept of Motor Vehicles to link the two license nos. in their database. The extra fee for the vintage tag is about $20 per year. Once this is done you can display the YOM license plate on the rear of your car in place of the regular license plate. The regular license plate must be keep inside (trunk) at all times, its registration must be current and you are given a small current year "Vintage License" decal to stick on the lower left hand corner of the front windshield. Here's the tag that will be displayed on my avanti ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	63_OK Tag.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1672273
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Oregon allows you to register your car as "Special Interest". You may use any "retired" license plate that would be correct for your vehicle year or a special issue "SP" plate, and there are no yearly registration fees. My Hawk has the early '60s Pacific Wonderland plate with a unique number/letter/punctuation combo. Only the rear plate is required. Driving is limited to parades, club events etc. My X brand truck has Vet plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
        When my Lark is rehabilitated, it will be my daily driver, so that isn't quite the same thing you're debating. But I think I would always want to have the option to drive my baby whenever I want. So I support you in your decision to go with regular registration. Worth the extra cost (at least in Missouri it costs more for regular registration than historic).
        Missouri is getting out of control for vehicle licensing. I've always had a personalized plate (STUDE) on one of my Studebakers, either a '47 Champion, '55 Champion, or most recently, my '63 Avanti. When my personalized plates were due for registration in July, it would have cost more than $100 (personal plate + normal registration) EACH AND EVERY YEAR! It used to be half this amount, which at least wasn't that bad. This state has got so greedy and money hungry that I decided to only pay the $25 one-time fee for collector plates.
        Lew Schucart
        Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Just got my YOM plates for my 1963 Avanti. In MI we pay a $35 lifetime fee (non-expiring) and the plate is valid until the car is sold, transferred or scrapped. The vehicle must be "deemed safe to operate on MI highways" and cannot be used for "general transportation" (only club activities,etc.). Interestingly, the Secretary of State ruled in 2011 that the Woodward Dream Cruise (and similar events) are in compliance with state law with regard to year of manufacture or historical plates usage. MI is still motor-centric for car guys.

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
            Missouri is getting out of control for vehicle licensing. I've always had a personalized plate (STUDE) on one of my Studebakers, either a '47 Champion, '55 Champion, or most recently, my '63 Avanti. When my personalized plates were due for registration in July, it would have cost more than $100 (personal plate + normal registration) EACH AND EVERY YEAR! It used to be half this amount, which at least wasn't that bad. This state has got so greedy and money hungry that I decided to only pay the $25 one-time fee for collector plates.
            Missouri didn't used to offer 2-year renewals. And in 2011, your '63 would have been eligible for a 2-year renewal. So, just curious, was that $100 for a two-year renewal? If so, that works out to $50 per year, or "half this amount".

Also, keep in mind that, in Missouri, the "core" part of daily driver registration fees are based on the taxable horsepower of the engine (one of, if not THE only state to still do it this way). So, regardless of the 1-year versus 2-year issue, it is easy to see why the registration fee for your Avanti would be more than your '47 or '55 (not that it feels any better to your wallet!). The actual registration fees haven't changed in Missouri for decades.
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
              Yes we do...I found a 1956 plate and used it when I registered...I'm waiting to know if it's accepted or not...
              Hope you don't get what I did. I took a beautiful '64 WV plate in to the DMV to register for my '64 Daytona. Woman ran the number and said I couldn't use that plate. The number was current for a handicapped plate.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                Just got my YOM plates for my 1963 Avanti. In MI we pay a $35 lifetime fee (non-expiring) and the plate is valid until the car is sold, transferred or scrapped. The vehicle must be "deemed safe to operate on MI highways" and cannot be used for "general transportation" (only club activities,etc.). Interestingly, the Secretary of State ruled in 2011 that the Woodward Dream Cruise (and similar events) are in compliance with state law with regard to year of manufacture or historical plates usage. MI is still motor-centric for car guys.
                Glad to hear your opinion on Michigan Bob. I cannot decide what to do either on this. Last year I put a regular plate on the 52 because I didn't want to be limited on driving it. Outside of a few trips to work though, it was really was mostly to shows. I have a nice 52 plate that would look great on my Stude. I asked some other guys at shows, where you see mostly YOM plates, and they claim to drive their stuff whenever they want. No one seems to worry about it.
                I'm deathly afraid of switching to YOM plate, then having some yahoo hit the car. It's the insurance that worrys me.

Comment

In Texas, I had about 3 choices of plates varying from very restricted use to no restriction. I chose the YOM option, bought my plates and took them to the courthouse. No restriction on car use and re-registration is only once every 10 years. And cheap, don't remember the dollar amount, but it is less than regular plates. The most expensive part was buying the plates, and it wasn't easy to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                    Glad to hear your opinion on Michigan Bob. I cannot decide what to do either on this. Last year I put a regular plate on the 52 because I didn't want to be limited on driving it. Outside of a few trips to work though, it was really was mostly to shows. I have a nice 52 plate that would look great on my Stude. I asked some other guys at shows, where you see mostly YOM plates, and they claim to drive their stuff whenever they want. No one seems to worry about it.
                    I'm deathly afraid of switching to YOM plate, then having some yahoo hit the car. It's the insurance that worrys me.
                    Dan

My area is a smaller population center in Michigan than yours but I know of two instances where historical tagged vehicles were ticketed for non-compliance. In both cases the owners just blatantly disregarded the law and drove there cars as if they were normally tagged vehicles. Their problems came from the local law folks seeing the same old car day after day parked in the same general area. In one case it was where the individual was employed at a big box type store.

Thats blatant and can, in fact, muck up the whole concept for the folks that abide by the law. So I have no issue with issuing citations to the offenders.

In Michigan, the savings are large.

My 2008 Impala cost about $130/yr for plates and $650 annually with $500/$1MM coverage and I have a $3MM umbrella policy to cover all eventualities.
                    My 1983 Avanti costs about $3/yr plates and $160/yr for the same (actually better) coverage and is also covered by the umbrella policy. With three historically tagged vehicles that is a significant savings.

The local law folks don't seem to have any issues with my historically plated vehicles on the road at most any time because they don't see them very often. In fact, I passed a couple of police cars last week about 10:00 AM on a tuesday taking the Avanti to Munger for a little paint work from a friend. All I got was a thumbs up, and they don't even seem to care that the car ain't quiet.

In talking to the insurance folks, I'm of the opinion that it's ok to drive it, not regularily, but you need a purpose. I'm going to a show, I need to get a paint estimate, things like that. So I'm quite comfortable with the type and coverage I carry. With one car the financial pain is lower but why not just talk to the insurance folks and get a reading.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      Hope you don't get what I did. I took a beautiful '64 WV plate in to the DMV to register for my '64 Daytona. Woman ran the number and said I couldn't use that plate. The number was current for a handicapped plate.
                      Paul...that's my concern..the plate I want to use is a small # of only 3 digits...I fear it might be in use & rejected, but I do have a backup, just in case.....Marie

Comment

In Nebraska our Old Car Council was instrumental in lobbying for, and getting the state to allow YOM plates. We allready had historical plates restricted to hobby use of vehicle only. Both types of plates have a one time $65.00 fee. After the first vehicle the cost drops by $10.00. YOM plates only require one plate on rear of vehicle and they do a search to ensure the number is not being used. I have heard some rumblings that the state is contemplating charging us a yearly fee as they are always looking for more revenue sources. I have historical plates on three of my cars and a YOM plate on the 41 Champion. I have never been stopped and asked if I was on a hobby related run in 21 years. I do limit my driving to shows, cruise nights, club tours and occasional lunch with the car guys. All four are insured for agreed value with J.C.Taylor. The 41 has modified insurance, as it is not stock. It cost double of what the others cost.
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          Paul-
                          I have extra 64 WV plates if you want one. Can't guarantee that the number(s) won't be in current use on some other class of plate, though. They're probably all 6-digits with no letters, which was the WV passenger plate format at the time.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

In North Carolina you can run a YOM plate no matter how it is registered. The plates are not registered as an assigned plate. You must carry the restered plate (regular or historic it doesn't matter) with you and be able to show a law enforcement officer if so asked. The advantage of an antique or historic tag here is that it limits the tax value of your vehicle to $500. This alone is worth the extra cost of the plate. That said, if you do have a historic/antique tag the car cannot be a daily driver. However there is no mileage limit. As has been said previously insurance limits mileage for me. I carry a copy of the statute that allows the use of a YOM tag as some law enforcement folks are not aware of it.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
                              Actually I think Missouri is one of the best when it come to collector car plates. $25, no inspection, proof of insurance and they are good for life. I believe we are restricted to 1200 miles a year plus club and show functions. So they allow for some pleasure driving. And it isn't monitored in any way. Obviously personalized are a different story. Will you be at the Easter show?
                              sigpic

Comment

Here in Arkansas they don't allow YOM plates! I have plates for both or our '56 Hawks, and also for my '62 Daytona. I can only use them at shows. I would gladly pay a yearly fee to be able to use them, as long as it didn't exceed the standard fee for regular registration. On the flip side, the Antique plates that the state offers are a one time fee for a permanent registration. As long as you keep the car insured, it's registered. They do have a few conditions on the Antique plates. Must have another car with a standard registration. You aren't allowed any modifications from stock! The only exception are for safety. That includes updated lighting, brakes, safety belts, and that's about it. Engine and body must remain stock. You also aren't allowed to tow anything for any reason. I've seen some very modified cars running the Antique plates and towing a trailer. They are technically in violation of the law, but I've never heard of anyone being cited for a violation.
                                As far as insurance goes, we went with Grundy. Rose read every word of the policy, and there aren't any limitations of use.

Comment

Working...
                                X