Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agree or Disagree~~~here we are in 2012 and the most Modern looking Studebaker is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only true if you consider a Zip Van a Studebaker.

Comment

A Zip Van is most certainly a Studebaker.
      What do you mean by saying that?
      Just curious.

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
      Only true if you consider a Zip Van a Studebaker.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
        A Zip Van is most certainly a Studebaker.
        What do you mean by saying that?
        Just curious.
        In all honesty, Jeff, the Zip Van was actually a Postal Service design, with slight modifications by the winning bidder to build them, which was Studebaker. This included the familiar instrument cluster, steering wheel, etc. The body itself as we know was supplied by Met-Pro from Pennsylvania, and since it was a U.S. government commissioned project, they dictated the body HAD to be made in a certain area of PA as unemployment was high at the time. There was a good article in TW about that some time ago.

Craig

Comment

Was the Excaliber prototype a Stude? Are the later Avanti's considered Corvettes or T-Birds? Just because you use a (fill in the blank)chassis, does that make the whole vehicle a (fill in the blank) make or model? If you put a '32 Ford coupe body on a custom chassis is it a custom or a Ford? It just depends on your definition of a make.
          Last edited by Son O Lark; 03-13-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
            Was the Excaliber prototype a Stude? Are the later Avanti's considered Corvettes or T-Birds? Just because you use a (fill in the blank)chassis, does that make the whole vehicle a (fill in the blank) make or model? If you put a '32 Ford coupe body on a custom chassis is it a custom or a Ford?
            Ask your insurace agent next time you have to insure one. Some may recall there was a huge debate amongst insurers back in the seventies when there were all kinds of kits available for Volkswagen Beetle chassis, be it a Dune Buggy kit, or a Bradley GT or a 1931 Alfa Romeo knockoff. Some still insisted it was a VW regardless what it had for a body, and some said it was now a 'sports car' in the case of the Bradley GT.

Craig

Comment

With my 2002 Avanti the insurance company accepts it as an Avanti. The state of Maryland registers it as an Avanti but when it goes to emissions testing the VIN comes up as a Firebird. It hasn't caused problems. There are some states that have registration issues with it. I believe at least one Avanti owner had big problems taking an Avanti from Arizona to California (or the reverse...can't remember for sure which) and having it registered. Different states have different procedures or are at least very unfriendly to resolving issues beyond their limited comprehension of certain automobiles.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I thought we we only supposed to vote to agree or disagree, but looks like opinions are being voiced. I already disagreed, BUT, I will voice my opinion. A zip van is about as modern as a pot bellied stove. There is only one clear choise. The 53 coupe.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  With my 2002 Avanti the insurance company accepts it as an Avanti. The state of Maryland registers it as an Avanti but when it goes to emissions testing the VIN comes up as a Firebird. It hasn't caused problems. There are some states that have registration issues with it. I believe at least one Avanti owner had big problems taking an Avanti from Arizona to California (or the reverse...can't remember for sure which) and having it registered. Different states have different procedures or are at least very unfriendly to resolving issues beyond their limited comprehension of certain automobiles.
                  Which brings up another question---- How are most Stude chassised Zip-Vans registered?
                  Last edited by Son O Lark; 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I am really surprised to see you take this stance...
                    Stude 6 cylinder engine... Stude (B/W) trans...Stude (Dana) diff... Stude beam axle... Stude Steering...Stude gauge cluster...
                    Met Pro only supplied the initial body's and then it (assembly) was moved to South Bend.
                    A Zip Van is as much Studebaker as any Studebaker built from 1852 on....
                    So a WWII Deuce and a half is not a Stude?
                    I don't get it....

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    In all honesty, Jeff, the Zip Van was actually a Postal Service design, with slight modifications by the winning bidder to build them, which was Studebaker. This included the familiar instrument cluster, steering wheel, etc. The body itself as we know was supplied by Met-Pro from Pennsylvania, and since it was a U.S. government commissioned project, they dictated the body HAD to be made in a certain area of PA as unemployment was high at the time. There was a good article in TW about that some time ago.

Craig
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      I am really surprised to see you take this stance...
                      Stude 6 cylinder engine... Stude (B/W) trans...Stude (Dana) diff... Stude beam axle... Stude Steering...Stude gauge cluster...
                      Met Pro only supplied the initial body's and then it (assembly) was moved to South Bend.
                      A Zip Van is as much Studebaker as any Studebaker built from 1852 on....
                      So a WWII Deuce and a half is not a Stude?
                      I don't get it....
                      LOL, Jeff,

I will admit a Zip-Van is more of a 'Studebaker' than a '57-'58 Packard is a 'Packard'!

It would be interesting to count up the 'Studebaker content' in components and labor to see what percentage it is. And when new, you or I could not walk into a Studebaker dealer and order one.

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Here it is: Lark

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Lark.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1672192

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure
                        Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                        63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
                        60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
                        56 Golden Hawk
                        56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
                        68 Volvo P1800S
                        56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgegaurd View Post
                          Is this one included, it's the latest design.

http://www.rodauthority.com/news/the...ey-aint-pretty
                          Umm....

I wouldn't include that, especially as it looks like something fell on the front.
                          Jeff DeWitt
                          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I am another that agrees the Avanti is the most modern looking Studebaker. No other car design has held up as well for such a long period of time, which is 50 years in 2012.

If Raymond Loewy's Studebaker proposals in 1962 had made it into production (for 1965), it too would be up there. Looking at the curved glass, tumblehome, and coke bottle side treatment, it would have done Studebaker well right into the mid-1970's. And done well in today's used bar of soap designs. The proposed desgin would not be using much, if anything, from the Lark body given its lower cowl and belt line and thus the two years plus needed to tool it for production.

And there is Studebaker's underated and ignored 1953 Studebaker sedan design, The sedans pale in comparison to the coupes, yes, but compare the sedans with the Chevrolet, Ford and Plymouth sedans of 1953-54 - clean, flowing lines, lower and longer looking. It's not until 1956-57 that the 1953 sedans start to look dated.
                            Bill
                            Vancouver, BC

Comment

Avanti. I wanted one for 35 years before I got it. People that never heard of Studebaker ask me all the time if mine is a 70s, 80s or newer model car.
                              edp/NC
                              \'63 Avanti
                              \'66 Commander

Comment

I have my opinion too but, I'm wondering .......will the owner of this thread tell us the answer to his inquiry? And when?
                                JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Working...
                                X