It's BAAAAAAAACK......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's BAAAAAAAACK......

The 18K mile S/N 1001 R2 Hawk on ebay, little different story this time. I guess he didn't make reserve. Maybe he'll answer questions this time?

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
    The 18K mile S/N 1001 R2 Hawk on ebay, little different story this time. I guess he didn't make reserve. Maybe he'll answer questions this time?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item2ebacd4a2b
    He ended it early again, saying it was no longer available for sale. Maybe a side deal fell through.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The seller is to be commended for having a more accurate listing this time, not referring to it as a Super Hawk, among other thuings. Too, he has certainly been reading the forum, in that he did not post a photograph of the Serial Number plate this time around <GGG>.

Finally, that is the first Studebaker I've ever seen where the car's Serial Number numerals did, in fact, match the engine's Serial Number numerals. Purely coincidental, but very cool nonetheless. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        The seller is to be commended for having a more accurate listing this time, not referring to it as a Super Hawk, among other thuings. Too, he has certainly been reading the forum, in that he did not post a photograph of the Serial Number plate this time around.
        Yep, it looks like he posted the rather interesting Production Order in its place; something he didn't have in his previous listing.

Craig

Comment

What is interesting is that the seller has been an e-Bay member since April 6, 2007 and has only received feedback on four transactions, the last being November 6, 2007. Without any apparent activity in the past 4 years he/she now has this car, a '57 Pontiac and 2 motorcycles listed.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Yep, it looks like he posted the rather interesting Production Order in its place; something he didn't have in his previous listing.

Craig
            ...and "PILOT" on the production order lends credibility to the non standard SN plate that is essentially identical to the one posted by Matthew from another prototype.

The picture of the engine SN that matches the production order also helps back up the #1 story. If the body tag indicates body #103 that would be further verification, and if the SN on the rear frame crossmember matches, that would cinch it.

I'm not sure, however, that being the 1st supercharged GT Hawk would increase the value of the car much if any. What are the thoughts on this?
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

My notion is that it doesn't mean much, Dick. Now if it were THE FIRST GT Hawk - I think that would carry some "cool" factor.

Edit: Having looked at the PO now, I might give this thing a BIT of wow in that it was built with and still carries THE FIRST production JTS engine. I think that's kinda neat.
              Last edited by Roscomacaw; 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Oh, man that would be cool sitting next to the 1001 Avanti, or the 1001 64 Hawk, Both in Washington!!

Comment

IIRC, the surplus JT & JTS crate motors, left over when Studebaker shut down US car production, weren't serialized so any number could be stamped on them... Not that this particular hawk is suspect, of course!

Comment

Interesting trivia... This car is the first R2 Hawk. Steve Doershlag stated that he owned the second R2 Hawk. Matt Frushour in Kentucky has the 3rd R2 Hawk.

How cool that the first 3 R2 Hawks are all still extant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      ...and "PILOT" on the production order lends credibility to the non standard SN plate that is essentially identical to the one posted by Matthew from another prototype.
                      Thanks for noticing that. I looked at the P.O. on his new Ebay listing yesterday, and NEVER caught it!! Good eyes!

And I never did see a copy of it previously when I posted the about the chances of it being a 'pilot' model with the probability of that serial number plate being 'hand-stamped' on the former thread. Therefore, I now wonder the other four Bob mentions about in that post were also hand stamped.

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Craig,

If we had a picture of the plate from the 1st 64 GT my bet would be 'case closed' . I am pretty sure the font and style would match the plate Matt had, and this 63 plate that was in the ad.

Comment

He only received the build sheet, via FAX, yesterday. He probably learned more about the Hawk at that time and changed his listing due to that and queries that he has received.

The car was built early on the pilot line to be a press car and auto show car (drain plug).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Notice, too, the engine serial No. does have I's instead of 1's and appears to have part of a Keystone inspection stamp.

Comment

I sent the seller a question asking the price. He sent a very short reply "The reserve is $105,000". Any takers?
                              Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X