Head Rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Rest

I have acquired a 64 GT Hawk, the seats have head rest. Was this an option in 1964?

For sure they were an option in '63, so most probably they were an option in '64. As an aside, had a '63 Lark with a headrest on the passenger side only.

Comment

I don't recall ever seeing Hawk seats with headrest. Can you post some pictures?
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Will post pics later, just bought the car from a museum in Texas, 52,364 original miles and I am sure I will have alot more questions about the car.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Mabe someone will post some pictures from the '63-'64 Stude "New Car" brochures.

Dan Miller
          Auburn, GA

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
            I have acquired a 64 GT Hawk, the seats have head rest. Was this an option in 1964?
            Yes. AC2999 (different from headrests for split seats). All '64s had a different headrest from earlier models (slightly different bracket which extended the headrest a little more forward).
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The headrests were available on models since the late 50's such as '59. I've had 1st series Larks with 1 or pairs. The headrests are the same except for the material for buckets & split seats. The later model bracket was used on the '64 Cruiser since it had thicker seats than the standard Daytonas,Commanders .I've seen a few GT's w/headrests & they used the earlier style. All of my '64's have headrests if anyone wants to see the difference between they can email for pics as I still can't post pics on the Forum yet. I don't have a pic of my '64 GT w/reclining buckets w/headrests as it's parked in w/lots of parts piled around it waiting for the rebuild. I also have a template that shows how to install in each seat type. The buckets I believe require one to cut a small portion of a seat spring near the ashtray for installation. One can view the pics of the headrests in any accessory booklet for the year in question. Rob in PA.
              Last edited by stude1964; 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I almost bought that car of yours a couple of months ago. It took all I had to talk myself out of it. I did lots of reading on 1964GTs, while blowing up & looking closely at all pix I could get. It looks to be an excellent example of a Texas car that went into the museum in the mid 80s till now. The all white interior, however, did not exist in 1964, from what I could learn. The 1964 blue is beautiful, and the vinyl top matches it pereftcly.

Glad to hear you got the car!

Joe H

Comment

Congrats on a nice find!

I assume this is the one - these are some old pics I found on a French website:

Pekka
                  sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Not to hijack a thread (ok, maybe a little), but just curious--I gather the head rests are hard to find? I have one bracket (the part that fits in the seat) for my GT seats but would like a complete set.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                      The headrests were available on models since the late 50's such as '59. I've had 1st series Larks with 1 or pairs. The headrests are the same except for the material for buckets & split seats. The later model bracket was used on the '64 Cruiser since it had thicker seats than the standard Daytonas,Commanders .I've seen a few GT's w/headrests & they used the earlier style. All of my '64's have headrests if anyone wants to see the difference between they can email for pics as I still can't post pics on the Forum yet. I don't have a pic of my '64 GT w/reclining buckets w/headrests as it's parked in w/lots of parts piled around it waiting for the rebuild. I also have a template that shows how to install in each seat type. The buckets I believe require one to cut a small portion of a seat spring near the ashtray for installation. One can view the pics of the headrests in any accessory booklet for the year in question. Rob in PA.
                      From the '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog- All Hawks ('59-'64), Larks ('62-'66) with bucket seats, and all '59-'63 Larks with bench seats used the same headrest. Color and material differed according to year. All '64 Larks with bench seats (and I assume '65s and '66s) used a different headrest from previous years, but they were the same across all models. I ordered one headrest with my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. Years later I bought one from a '64 Cruiser and it was identical to my original.
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I would like to see headrests reproduced not only for the appearance but for the safety & comfort factor.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                        X