Dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question

What is the difference between a silver hawk and a golden hawk and wich is more rarer thanks in advance ed

Golden hawks are more rare , they were and are more expensive as well.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I do believe also that Golden Hawks were all HT bodies ( k bodies) while Silver Hawks were pillared coupes ( c Bodies) . I do believe that there were a few- very few- silver hawk HT's made for export only in 57-58? Craig or Bob P. can verify this. Golden Hawks also only had V8 power- while the Silver Hawks had 6 or 8 cylinders.
      Evan Davis
      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
        I do believe also that Golden Hawks were all HT bodies ( k bodies) while Silver Hawks were pillared coupes ( c Bodies) . I do believe that there were a few- very few- silver hawk HT's made for export only in 57-58? Craig or Bob P. can verify this. Golden Hawks also only had V8 power- while the Silver Hawks had 6 or 8 cylinders.
        Evan is correct: Silver Hawk hardtops were available for export only (from the U.S.) in 1957 and, AFIK, 1958. Evan should post a picture of the light green '57 Silver Hawk hardtop owned by a Canadian, I think in a western province. Perhaps Craig Parslow has a photo and will post it.

Also, 1956 Flight Hawk hardtops (still six-cylinder only) were available for export. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Evan is correct: Silver Hawk hardtops were available for export only (from the U.S.) in 1957 and, AFIK, 1958. Evan should post a picture of the light green '57 Silver Hawk hardtop owned by a Canadian, I think in a western province. Perhaps Craig Parslow has a photo and will post it.

Also, 1956 Flight Hawk hardtops (still six-cylinder only) were available for export. BP

I hope that Craig P. doesn't mind me using one of his pics.
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Also, only the Golden hawks (57-58) were supercharged. The interior fabrics and patterns were more luxurious. The rear fins terminated at the front differently. Dash had more instruments (tachometer and pressure gauge) as standard equipment.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
              the Silver Hawk hardtops were Export AND Canada in 1957 and 1958. I have seen a Hamilton built hardtop in the flesh-it even had the Maple Leaf on the dash--and heard reports of and seen pictures of a few others.

Thinking over the Maple Leaf, I might be mistaken, as I took a look at two separate cars rusting away. The Maple Leaf might have been on the Hamilton 54 Champion. The 57 was definitely a hardtop though, and it was in Nova Scotia although it might have been built at South Bend. This was quite a few years ago, and I remember taking the body number underneath the hood, but don't remember taking the serial number.
              Last edited by Jim B PEI; 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM. Reason: Maple Leaf

Comment

1956 Golden Hawks were not supercharged, and had Packard built V8 engines. If you are looking for rarity, the rarest one is the Packard hawk, only 356 built.

Comment

One of the BIG differences is ... I can afford a Silverhawk!!
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Breaking down the Hawks:

1956--Golden Hawk, HT (K-body) with Packard 352ci V8; also Sky (Stude V8 HT), Power (Stude V8 coupe) and Flight (six-cylinder) Hawks that year but no Silver Hawk yet

1957-58--Golden Hawk (HT; supercharged Studebaker V8) and Silver Hawk (generally pillared coupe, C-body, some with sixes, most with V8s). Packard Hawk version in '58 only, 588 examples made.

1959--Silver Hawk only

1960-61--basically Silver Hawks, now called simply "Hawk"

1962-64--Gran Turismo Hawk, all HTs, last of the Hawk line.

For collectors of Stude diecast models, Solido in France years ago did two 1:43 scale '57 Hawks; the lower body casting was a Silver Hawk, but the roof--plastic--replicated either the pillared or HT version, hence, the hardtop Solido model decently represents the rare Silver Hawk hardtop.

S.
                    Last edited by Steve T; 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
                      1956 Golden Hawks were not supercharged, and had Packard built V8 engines. If you are looking for rarity, the rarest one is the Packard hawk, only 356 built.
                      588 P.H.s were built.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                      X