No announcement yet.

Wagon Piece.... Rear wing? spoiler?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wagon Piece.... Rear wing? spoiler?

    There is a 60 wagon for sale somewhat locally to me that has a rear wing/spoiler looking thingamajig on it. It mounts to the rear pillars. What is the correct term for it? I have been searching but have come up empty. Wanted to find a pair for some time now.

    Also, this guy has already sent one wagon to the crusher. This one is still left over. I am working with my uncle to try and snag this one before crushing.

    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

  • #2
    Those are air deflectors that move air across the back window to break up the natural low pressure area that the squarish shape of station wagons create around the back of the car. The primary reason for putting them on is to keep the back window from getting dirty from dust or road spray in wet weather. They do work too. I don't know if Studebaker ever offered them as an option, but they are available in the aftermarket.

    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

    LS1 Engine Swap Journal:


    • #3
      Pretty neat idea. I will definitely be searching for a pair as finances allow. This is going to sound funny... but I saw them as a nice chrome piece to add, but knowing the functionality of them makes them more appealing!
      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon


      • #4
        something like this?
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

        '51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

        '40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.


        • #5
          Originally posted by Corvanti View Post

          Perfect. Watching this auction till the end Only bugger about it is they are missing the brackets... easy to have made though I guess.
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon


          • #6
            You used to see a lot of wagons with aftermarket pieces like that. Pretty common at the time.
            BTW: Chrysler integrated them on some of their wagons in the late 60s - early 70s.
            More recently, Toyota had one on its Corolla All-Trac (AWD) wagon of the late 80s-early 90s. Both of those were on top and looked like the spoiler that was part of the 4th Generation Camaro.

            If you're looking for some and don't mind used, you might check at junkyards that still have 60s cars...they might be found on any wagon.
            Likewise, a station wagon-club or website might be able to point you in the right direction.
            Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

            Washington State


            • #7
              I had a Valiant that had those on them. I always understood them to be called Breezers.
              Evan Davis
              Prince Albert, Sk


              • #8
                Matt asked about those here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=deflectors



                • #9
                  Thanks for the link! Didnt know what I was searching for when I "searched."
                  1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon