Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

differential carrier question please......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differential carrier question please......

Between a 331 flanged 44 and a 373 flanged 44 axle, is the carrier the same? Some carrier interchanges break at certain gear ratios. I have a flanged non TT 44 with 373 gears and I intend to use the TT carrier out of my 331 flanged if they are the same. Thanks in advance for the help.

'59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog Group 1004, 1004-6 CASE, Diff. Pg. 304.

Come on Rich. are telling me that you live in South Bend and do not have Manauls and Parts Catalogs? Lol!

3.07-3.73 = Same Case

4.09-4.56 = Same Case
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

3.07-3.73 = Same Case

4.09-4.56 = Same Case
      My granddad rebuilt the rear end in a '59 half ton pickup. He replaced the 4.27 gear set with a 3.54 gear set from a '60 Hawk rear end. Both were Dana 44s. I personally put over 10,000 miles on that rear end..

Comment

Matt, he had to have taken the entire Carrier (Case) AND the Ring and Pinion out of the Housing and swapped it, because a 3.54 Ring Gear does not fit onto a 4.27 Case.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
          Between a 331 flanged 44 and a 373 flanged 44 axle, is the carrier the same? Some carrier interchanges break at certain gear ratios. I have a flanged non TT 44 with 373 gears and I intend to use the TT carrier out of my 331 flanged if they are the same. Thanks in advance for the help.
          3:73 and down is the break point, So you are good Rich.

Bob

Comment

3.07-3.73 = Same Case

4.09-4.56 = Same Case
            Don't forget the 3.92! 3.92-4.56 = Same Case
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Matt, he had to have taken the entire Carrier (Case) AND the Ring and Pinion out of the Housing and swapped it, because a 3.54 Ring Gear does not fit onto a 4.27 Case.
              Could be Rich. I think he swapped over all of the internals.

Comment

LOL Thanks Rich... I just posted the question since I was busy figuring I could tap the wealth of knowledge here. I bought the rear just to get the rest of the self adjusting BS I was missing and when I got it home and cleaned the tag it turns out to be a flanged 373 rear. It was in a 66 Cruised 4 door. I might O might just put a lock right in it and keep the 331 TT intact in case I break a rear end. I am guessing with that 373 rear and some small slicks I can easily be in the low 12's. That would be even more fun than it is now. I am just tight on coin,dang it.

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                  Don't forget the 3.92! 3.92-4.56 = Same Case
                  That is not in the book, not even in Jet Thrust Equipment Section because in '59-'64, a 3.92 ratio was not SUPPOSED to be available, but as we know special orders did happen.

The listing in the Showroom Dealers book maybe was not supposed to happen, but that does not mean that one or two were not ordered.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X