No announcement yet.

Looking for a set of canadian crossed flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to make sure the pins on the back line up or you will be in for drilling new holes.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      You have to make sure the pins on the back line up or you will be in for drilling new holes.
      Do you have them on your '66? I don't. My '64 Canadian-built hardtop that's now in Oz had them though.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

No , they weren't used in 66 and I don't know for sure about 65 either
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Rich (and others):

Here's an odd 1964 Daytona Six sedan I am considering buying in central Indiana. The photos were taken within the last 4 months.

As you can see from the side-view photo and serial number, it is a Hamilton-built 1964 model year car built before December 31, 1963....and it has the non-8 checkered flags. (The car is an unusually-nice, mostly-original car with only 23,000 actual miles on it, too.)

This car is unusual in that it was sold new in Franklin IN (just south of Indianapolis), but built before December 31, 1963. I would have thought all 1964 model year Studebakers built in Hamilton during calendar year 1963 would have stayed in Canada, but this car proves at least one escaped! <GGG> BP

Here it gets just a little bit stranger. I have a Hamilton built 64 six cylinder 2dr sedan, and instead of the crossed flags, it has the lazy S in the circle, like the hood ornament, on both rear sails. What makes this another head scratcher is that this car is a true "Commander Special" with the Daytona vinyl seats, carpet, and has a radio and automatic...but note the serial number in my signature! This "Commander Special" has a different note on the production order, something like 7900 or 7990 Daytona interior, but the BUILD date is in October 1 through October 3 1963, before they announced the shutdown of South Bend, and it was delivered to Capital Motors in Fredericton NB in November 63 (again before the shutdown announcement), so what was going on there? Its the only Commander Special I know of that has a SC style serial number, instead of an after January 1/1964 style Hamilton serial number. If they were going to all the trouble to stealth build (and deliver) a car before Jan 1/64, that was supposed to only come into effect after Jan 1/64. you would think that they would have used the 'crossed flags' of the late 64 production cars

I guess that if there had been more and later "Lamberti papers" all might have been revealed!
          Last edited by Jim B PEI; 12-05-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: missing bits

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
            Here it gets just a little bit stranger. I have a Hamilton built 64 six cylinder 2dr sedan, and instead of the crossed flags, it has the lazy S in the circle, like the hood ornament, on both rear sails. What makes this another head scratcher is that this car is a true "Commander Special" with the Daytona vinyl seats, carpet, and has a radio and automatic...but note the serial number in my signature! This "Commander Special" has a different note on the production order, something like 7900 or 7990 Daytona interior, but the BUILD date is in October 1 through October 3 1963, before they announced the shutdown of South Bend, and it was delivered to Capital Motors in Fredericton NB in November 63 (again before the shutdown announcement), so what was going on there? Its the only Commander Special I know of that has a SC style serial number, instead of an after January 1/1964 style Hamilton serial number.
            Just a bit more information about 'Daytona Trim Kit' on Hamilton cars, is that it appears to go back to 1962! If you look in your September TW in that article on Hamilton Production, you will see a Daily Line Ticket with an F4 with 'Daytona Trim Kit'. Currently, there are two 1962 2 door sedans in Saskatchewan with bucket seat interiors. (I havn't seen them personally, so I cannot confirm what they all have, but I suspect they have carpets as well.) I suspect a 'Daytona Trim Kit' was also offered on Regal 2-doors in 1963 as the F6 was not available in Canada.

Craig

Comment

Well, I was without power from noon until 4:30 P.M. Crew working on the line. Anyway, I checked my box of scripts, etc., and I have 2 crossed-flags emblems, no "8", both have both pins. They would clean up fine, not noticeably pitted. Twenty bucks plus postage for the pair. If I don't get them in the mail tomorrow, it will have to wait a week.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                Here it gets just a little bit stranger. I have a Hamilton built 64 six cylinder 2dr sedan, and instead of the crossed flags, it has the lazy S in the circle, like the hood ornament, on both rear sails.
                Nothing strange about that at all Jim, all Commanders had the Circle "S" Emblem on the "C" Pillar. Just because it has a Daytona interior, does not a Daytona make, only Daytonas have the racey crossed Flag Emblem.

Also all "built for Canada" in 1963 '64 Studes. have the SC or VC designation.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here are some factory pics 1966 Daytona with checkered flag emblem witch one? The vinyl top is to far gone to follow dirt impressions, one little piece of the checkered flag remains. Thanks for the help as this is a mind blower Shane
                  Last edited by Shane; 12-06-2011, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    Here are some factory pics 1966 Daytona with checkered flag emblem witch one? The vinyl top is to far gone to follow dirt impressions, one little piece of the checkered flag remains. Thanks for the help as this is a mind blower Shane
                    I believe these are prototype photos. As far as I (and the 1965-66 parts book) are aware, no crossed flag emlems of any type were used after 1965.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      I believe these are prototype photos. As far as I (and the 1965-66 parts book) are aware, no crossed flag emlems of any type were used after 1965.

Chris.
                      The car in the picture with the people is not a prototype. It was framed in the usual manner but specifically tagged for 'Advertising' for catalog photography. It then went into factory stock for purchase by a dealer. Regarding the crossed flags my recollection is that they were used on the C pillar in the 1964 mldel year for Daytona hardtops only. I'm not certain if they were continued for some models of the 65 and 66 Daytona Sports Sedans.
                      Stu Chapman

Comment

There was someone at the spring swap in the back hallway of Sasco maybe 4-5 ? years ago that had maybe 3 dozen of those emblems in the box. I thought they had them a couple of years. I should've asked how much they were and bought some. The next year they were all gone. I found a couple of nice used ones later.

Comment

My old 65 Daytona had them but don't remember if the 66 cruiser had them , it went to New Zealand so would need to ask Geo.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Stu , its very interesting you mention that 66 Daytona with the roof emblem on it. It wouldn't surprise me that was the only one to have that . Studebaker must of changed their minds on using that emblem . I have one of those large postcards with that car on it and if you happen to have a 66 brochure you will see the same picture in it but the emblem has been photoshopped out . This is something that I never noticed before. If that car was sold after the photo shoot it could very well be the only Daytona with roof emblems.....anyone own the car?
                            sigpic

Comment

Mystery Solved!

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                              Regarding the crossed flags my recollection is that they were used on the C pillar in the 1964 mldel year for Daytona hardtops only. I'm not certain if they were continued for some models of the 65 and 66 Daytona Sports Sedans.Stu Chapman
                              On 1964's; The Body Group 2104-9 Crossed Flag with V-8 Emblems 1360151WP were used on both '64 Daytona Hardtops and Sedans, the 1360154WP (WP= Chrome & Paint) Crossed Flags only, were used on Y8 & J8 Canadian Cars.

Bob Peterson; as I said in post #22, the "Daytona Racing Flags" were only used on Daytonas, NO Cruisers, Commanders Challengers.

ON '65's and '66's:
                              The Daytona Sport Sedans F8 in 1965 did go back to using the V8 Crossed Flags 151 again on V-8's, and on 6's the Canadian '64 Flags only 154, Emblems were used.

The 1966 Daytona Sport Sedans F8, had NONE.
                              Ref: Studebaker 1965 and 1966 Chassis and Body Parts Catalog Oct. 1965, Group 2104-9, Pg. 225.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                                Stu , its very interesting you mention that 66 Daytona with the roof emblem on it. It wouldn't surprise me that was the only one to have that . Studebaker must of changed their minds on using that emblem . I have one of those large postcards with that car on it and if you happen to have a 66 brochure you will see the same picture in it but the emblem has been photoshopped out . This is something that I never noticed before. If that car was sold after the photo shoot it could very well be the only Daytona with roof emblems.....anyone own the car?
                                A good conclusion; well thought-out. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X