For Long-Time SDCers: Karl Haas Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Long-Time SDCers: Karl Haas Update

Long-time SDCers will remember Karl Haas. Karl was President of SDC for the 1974-75 term. He is still doing well, living in San Diego. He volunteers at a local auto museum, although his eyesight has been failing for several years.

He sent this recent update and thought some would like to know how he is doing:

I AM WHERE I LIVED TEN YEARS AGO in SAN DIEGO, CA.

MY EYES HAVE REACHED THE POINT WHERE I WAS TOLD NOT TO DRIVE ANYMORE, BUT THE BUS LINES ARE AS GOOD AS IN ENGLAND. FORTUNATELY, I LIKE TO WALK AND HAVE PUNCHED A FEW NEW HOLES IN MY BELTS.

OTHER SPARE TIME IS SPENT REARRANGING THE HOUSE, AT THE LIONS CLUB, AND AT THE AUTO MUSEUM.
    THINGS ARE SLOW AS FAR AS STUDEBAKERS GO, BUT RIDES ARE OFFERED TO GET TO CLUB EVENTS.

THE SHOPS ARE NEAR, BUT THE CHARITY SHOPS WITH ALL THE ATTRACTIVE USED THINGS THAT I DON'T REALLY NEED ARE FEW. I DO LITTLE READING - IT INVOLVES A MAGNIFYING GLASS.

I HAVE THE PC TO LISTEN TO THE GET BBC AND USE EAR BUDS, BUT SOMETIMES FORGET TO REMOVE THEM WHEN I GET UP TO ANSWER THE PHONE!

WELL, I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR NOW.
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-06-2011, 05:08 AM. Reason: removed street address & phone number. Available by PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks, Bob P. It has been a few years since I visited with Karl.
    I purchased my 1940 President from him when he relocated from the east coast to the west coast (many years ago).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Long-time SDCers will remember Karl Haas. Karl was President of SDC for the 1974-75 term. He is still doing well, living in San Diego. He volunteers at a local auto museum, although his eyesight has been failing for several years.

He sent this recent update and thought some would like to know how he is doing:
      Thanks Bob. I knew Karl in Boston then corresponded with him off and on over the years, but hadn't heard from him in a while. I bought some nice Studebaker NOS from him in his leaving town "fire sale".
      He left for SF in a '64 GT Super Hawk (as I remember), had different size tires on each side on the rear end and ruined the TT driving cross country.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

We even got together with him when he lived in Coventry, UK

Denny L

Comment

Glad to hear Karl's still donin' alright. I feel bad, but it was such a blur that last visit I made to San Diego that I honestly don't remember if he was at the meeting I attended. As such I don't know if I saw him then or not. I do know that BOTH times the NAVY stationed me down there he was a pleasure to have around. I've seen him here on the Forum form time to time- hopefully he sees this and knows we're thinking of him.

Say- that makes me wonder-
          can any other SDC Chapter claim THREE past Presidents like the San Diego County SDC can?
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            [
            Say- that makes me wonder-
            can any other SDC Chapter claim THREE past Presidents like the San Diego County SDC can?[/SIZE][/FONT]
            Dave - That makes me wonder. How do you count? Were they in San Diego County when they were Pres. and now elsewhere (Ed R.?), now in San Diego County but lived elsewhere when they were Pres. (like Karl), in San Diego County when they were Pres. and are still there or are you counting all of these combinations?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Dave - That makes me wonder. How do you count? Were they in San Diego County when they were Pres. and now elsewhere (Ed R.?), now in San Diego County but lived elsewhere when they were Pres. (like Karl), in San Diego County when they were Pres. and are still there or are you counting all of these combinations?
              I counted Past Presidents currently in the area belonging to that Chapter~ Karl, Colin, and Mimi. I did not know Ed was a past member of that Chapter, but was aware of him belonging to (and might still) the Orange Empire Chapter. That's where/when I first met him many many moons ago.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Karl is a real gentleman. I think I first met him in Holland at the first Dutch meet in 1999, when I flew in from Hong Kong where I was living at the time, and was having Studebaker withdrawal symptoms. We spent a fair amount of time chatting at that meet. Little did I know I would be living just down the road from him in Warwick UK a few years later.

Last time I saw him and Marilyn was Rally of the Giants here in the UK about 5 years ago. He is on the email every now and again, if you can pull him away from the BBC world service. I was actually up in his English home town of Coventry today about 15 miles up the road from us.

Regards
                Greg
                Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

I'm pleased to hear that Karl is well, I met him a few times at the museum in San Diego and he really is a great guy.

Comment

Are you sure you want to post his number and address on an unprotected forum, Bob? Please don't be offended but there are so many scammers lurking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Tahiti Coral View Post
                      Are you sure you want to post his number and address on an unprotected forum, Bob? Please don't be offended but there are so many scammers lurking about.
                      Good point, Paul. I have removed Karl's address and phone number. If someone wants to contact him, PM me and I'll be glad to pass them along to an SDC Forum member. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I missed Karl at the last couple of nat meets, but got an email from him this week. It sounds like they are separated. Marilyn has a daughter here in Houston & they have stopped by my place when visiting.

Comment

Working...
                        X