Uh-oh: C-Cab Rat Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-oh: C-Cab Rat Rod

Muscle Car writer / friend Tom Shaw e-mailed this photo of a C-cab rat rod. He described it as being in the Primal Division at the show! <GGG> BP

Cute if you like rat rods. ('Sorry the image isn't any better, but it has a SBC for power and a Model A Ford radiator shell!):

Last edited by BobPalma; 11-28-2011, 06:56 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Don't see anything wrong wit' it. I doubt any purist would be willing to restore it, and if he did there are enough better specimens out there.

I myself get a kick out of 'rat rods' and was enamored with them for awhile; for a brief period I even toyed with the idea of building one of my own but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. Still like to look at 'em though- they have some of the greatest creativity in the hobby
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I Think I could drive that.

Only 18 miles one way to work these days and it looks somewhat roadworthy. (?)

Dean.

Comment

A C-cab in worse shape than mine....phew, I am not the worst Studebaker owner in the country. Now if mine would only run....soon, soon.

Comment

I saw one very similar in Daytona last weekend.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

As a general rule, I like rat rods. But it bugs me when they just stick a Ford grill on anything. Sorry, I like the more imaginative ones.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              I saw one very similar in Daytona last weekend.
              That's probably the one you saw, Neil. That's where and when the picture was taken. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The term "rat rod" is reallly beginning to bug me. What the heck is a "rat rod" anyway? Some car shows now have a "rat rod" class. Some of the stuff they put in that class that if the vehicles were mine I would be upset. It seems that if it has suede paint for some it is a "rat rod." The truck that is the center of this discussion might be what the term originally meant, but who knows? I know the folks in the traditonal custom/rod movement often get their cars and trucks labeled as "rat rods" and it really ticks most of them off. As far as this
                truck goes it is really not my cup of tea, although i have been thinking lately of a more traditonal approach to a good 2R pickup or even the Champ that I already have. It will not be a "rat rod" no matter what I do to it.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  The term "rat rod" is reallly beginning to bug me. What the heck is a "rat rod" anyway?
                  True, Joe; that term has as many definitions as does muscle car!

You're right about having a separate class; I sure wouldn't want anyone to be placed there unless they wanted to be. It's been my experience, talking to these guys, that they wear the term as kind of a badge of honor.

Whatever floats your boat, I'd guess; 'same as most other facets of the "old vehicle" hobby. BP

Comment

Most rat rods appear to be a bunch of junk someone threw together so they could jump on the latest fad. The original concept was a car build from old parts without the chrome, upholstery and slick paint that costs so much. Those cars were well build and functional. I think one of those would be fun to own, but the cartoonish junk piles are still junk.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

One of my best friends has one of the coolest rods I know of. He spent 3 years researching and creating a look and style as well as good bit of money and time finding or recreating REAL vintage NOS or OE late 40s or early 50s parts to build a REAL era correct lakster car. People lump it in with rat rods and it infuriates him.

It has an unfinished look to it like many late '40s early '50s Lakesters had. But definately NOT ratty. But because it is not painted and is old with a lot oc cool patina people just call it a rat, but it is a very organized recreation of an era car.
                      I will try to post a couple pics of it if I can find them.

Comment

I have a useable C-cab cab here, as well as a useable Transtar frame. I need to marry them - add a prettier front axle (come to think of it tho - I've got a Stude 1/2ton axle with fresh bushings in it - hey Jerry! How much to chrome an axle like this???) - artfully cut away at a pair of front fenders I've been saving to where they disappear as they meld into the grille section. A fresh Studee V8 w/headers and some fat whites at all four corners. Oh! And an old cheneille beadspread for seat coverings. Flat Black overall with devilish rat chartacters on each door.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                          I have a useable C-cab cab here, as well as a useable Transtar frame. I need to marry them - add a prettier front axle (come to think of it tho - I've got a Stude 1/2ton axle with fresh bushings in it - hey Jerry! How much to chrome an axle like this???) - artfully cut away at a pair of front fenders I've been saving to where they disappear as they meld into the grille section. A fresh Studee V8 w/headers and some fat whites at all four corners. Oh! And an old cheneille beadspread for seat coverings. Flat Black overall with devilish rat chartacters on each door.
                          Cool beans, Bob; do it! BP

Comment

2-minute sketch. BP, I lack the fire - truth be told.
                            Attached Files
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Im in Bob...soon aas Oscar is on the road...In ready.

;p

Comment

Working...
                              X