New rim idea...opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rim idea...opinions wanted

Some may remember I have been trying to find at least 1 more rim for my 2R10.
    I found 2 in Iowa, I think it was, but the guy has not returned my calls and is not answering mine. I promised him I would make it worth his while to have the tires popped off of the rims, package them up, and ship them to me. He was asking $15 a piece. I told him I would pay that + shipping+tire removal cost+ whatever he wants for his time to handle this stuff.

Seems like he has changed his mind on spending the effort. I cant say I blame him. Alot of work to do for a stranger 2k + miles away.

Plan C: On a ford truck site {I cant stand fords, but they used the same 6x7.25 bolt pattern} someone posted that a company named Diamond Racing makes rims in the 6x7.25 pattern. I called them on friday and sure enough. Only $135 in almost any size combo I want. Here is a link, it is the black colored rims in the pic. They come only in flat center disc though. Not sure I like that. They can come with the oval holes or no holes just flat disc. Here they are:

I am stoked to be able to get drop center tubless rims, that is a huge selling feature for me. But I am not sure I want wheels that look like those. They are inteneded for the big military offroad truck like the M5 in the pic. I am not in love with the look of the flat center. My rims are reverse dished like the fronts on a dually just not quite as deeply back spaced.

I want to run big n littles, like 550 to 600 series on the fronts and you cant get good looking 60s replica tire for the front in 16". I can get those Diamond Racing wheels in 15"x5" {front drum brakes are only 12"} and use some really cool 560-15 and get the rears in 16x8 and run some 860-16 drag replicas on the rear...I LOVE the size flexibility and the tubless side of the DR wheels but not sure I like the look.

What do you guys think? What about a chrome trim ring on them and painted a reddish orange color?

I like the look of those rims for a big truck. I would paint the wheels a color that is in contrast with the body color.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I think they'd look cool.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

They only come powder coated in black, white or silver. I will ask on Tuesday when I call the owner back {he was gone from friday afternoon-monday night} if I can custom order them in a red/orange color.
        I already painted my stock wheels with Rustoleum oil-based enamel. You can get it a Lowes or Home Depot for like $8 a qt. I got the safety red and a qt of safety yellow and I mixed 2 parts red to 1 part yellow for a really nice darker orange. Not dark like brownish, dark as in cloer to red. It came out really good and I used a rattle can of almond to paint the lock ring.
        That is the look I want. My truck is kind of forest/hunter/kelly green color and orange is my favorite color, so I went with a reddish orange for the rims with and oldschool cream/almond on the lock rings. I want a similar color if they can custom color the rims for a few extra bucks I am in.

I like the rims alot for a big old truck too, but still torn on a hot rod style truck that I am going for. A big old 3/4 ton that is TRYING to be a hot rod...lol

Anyone else?

Comment

Working...
        X