57 President, Diamond in the rough ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Based on what you know thus far, would you definitely rather have this one?
    Bob, I'd absolutely prefer to have a Broadmoor with a nice interior. But I'm still more than happy with buying your car.
    Last edited by mbstude; 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

If anyone wants this wagon, make a offer that I can pitch to the owner. He does not want to see it rust away either. I'd love to save it myself, but can't lose a bundle to just do the right thing. I guess I could buy it, clean it up, do the brakes and make it a driver if I knew I could get say 3K, but can't put $2500 and lots of labor in just to take a hit.

Edit: I sent a link to this thread to the owner so he at least knows we're trying to save it. He could sell it to a rodder, but thankfully he does not want that to happen.
      Last edited by JDP; 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

The Broadmoor script missing on the front fenders is impossible to find.

Comment

As a fomer owner of a Broadmoor wagon, I know what it is and Like SD57 see much more value in it than most folk . I want it also. Already plottin what I can sell to come up with funds.
          On the edge of my seat drooling,
          Kim

Comment

You guys aren't the only ones that see value in the car.

I may or may not have spent time on the phone with JDP after seeing this. More if/when something happens.

If something does happen, there's a really decent Provincial in New York that needs a home.
            Last edited by mbstude; 10-26-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

If Matt makes a deal on that wagon, the Provincial will be for sale.

CO car, never seen NY winter; stored inside entire time
              259 auto.
              Rare third seat
              Beautiful roof rack
              Very solid body (likely much more so than the MD Broadmoor)
              Seats decent, needs carpet/headliner
              Black/white, black is passable, white is tired

Completely new brake system- all new wheel cylinders, shoes, master, lines and hoses with DOT 5 ($500)
              New Edelbrock 1403 carb ($400)
              Gas tank boiled and coated in/out ($250)
              New battery ($80)

Will drive onto hauler and stop but brakes will need breaking in and final adjustment. Needs the usual stuff for a car just out of long-term storage.

Price $2K.

If interested, e-mail for more detailed description at bams50@msn.com

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

$400 for a Edelbrock? Somebody got to you.
                Google Parr Automotive and put in Edelbrock $310 for a 1403
                Last edited by Carl Purdy; 10-27-2011, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                  $400 for a Edelbrock? Somebody got to you.
                  Google Parr Automotive and put in Edelbrock $310 for a 1403
                  That's one, but retail when I got it was about $369. But you forget shipping and installation- plate, gaskets, linkage, line.

Anyway, the numbers were ballparked off the top of my head. I paid $1600 for the car plus I went and picked it up. So a difference of opinion of $90 on a carb doesn't make my numbers better anyway
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I could use that car for the drive train, pwr. brakes, and P.S, rear stabilizer, but ?If I buy it it will be my new bed room. So says the wifey. Just the car. Hmmh. cheers jimmijim
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      I knew that this would happen. I buy a '57 Provincial, and a nicer Broadmoor for less money that's closer to home becomes available.
                      Hi Matt

Go for the Broadmoor, it's the one you really want. Even if the Provincial turns out to be a good car, you'll always be thinking "I could have had a Broadmoor, I really wanted a Broadmoor!" It was better than twice as rare out the factory door, rarely seen even at SDC events now.

Do yourself a favorite before you commit, take a quick trip up to MD to assess it's condition. That way you'll have a far better idea of what you're getting into. The advice to clean it up for a driver is darn good. Once it's functional and safe to drive, you can improve it's appearance as finances allow. Remember, nice original cars are now appreciated as never before, maybe it could be a Driveable Dreams feature for HCC at some point!

Steve
                      Last edited by 56H-Y6; 10-27-2011, 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Right now I'm waiting on JP to go over and give the Broadmoor a closer look-over. If it turns out to be worse than the pics he's posted show, then at least I'll know.

A huge thanks to Bob for offering to let me back out of buying his car to go after this Broadmoor.

I want a presentable driver quality car that needs some work. Either one of these wagons would fill the bill just fine, but I can't help but lust after an all original President.

FWIW, Bob has sent me lots of photos of the Provincial. The underside of that car is phenomenal. Solid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                          I could use that car for the drive train, pwr. brakes, and P.S, rear stabilizer, but ?If I buy it it will be my new bed room. So says the wifey. Just the car. Hmmh. cheers jimmijim
                          FYI~ unless someone installed it later in life-
                          there ought not be a rear bar under that car...

that's a Y body only deal.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If Matt makes a deal on that wagon, the Provincial will be for sale.

CO car, never seen NY winter; stored inside entire time
                            259 auto.
                            Rare third seat
                            Beautiful roof rack
                            Very solid body (likely much more so than the MD Broadmoor)
                            Seats decent, needs carpet/headliner
                            Black/white, black is passable, white is tired

Completely new brake system- all new wheel cylinders, shoes, master, lines and hoses with DOT 5 ($500)
                            New Edelbrock 1403 carb ($400)
                            Gas tank boiled and coated in/out ($250)
                            New battery ($80)

Will drive onto hauler and stop but brakes will need breaking in and final adjustment. Needs the usual stuff for a car just out of long-term storage.

Price $2K.

If interested, e-mail for more detailed description at bams50@msn.com

Seriously Bob...$2k? " Needs the usual stuff for a car just out of long-term storage." So what...like new tires, some grease, flush the cooling system, and some new wiper blades? Are we talking a one way plane ticket, trip to WallyWorld for tires, and a stop at your FLAPS, and then you can drive it home?

That could be a seriously good deal for someone.

Comment

That's one, but retail when I got it was about $369. But you forget shipping and installation- plate, gaskets, linkage, line.

Anyway, the numbers were ballparked off the top of my head. I paid $1600 for the car plus I went and picked it up. So a difference of opinion of $90 on a carb doesn't make my numbers better anyway
                              Now you are scaring me, you are $2700 in, not counting labor and will lose money. As much as I want to save the wagon near me, I'm better off letting someone like Matt do a "labor of love" restoration rather than me trying to break even.
                              The good news is I have two forum members look for a wagon, maybe we can find a home for both. BTW, I screwed the front seat pic, I'll try and correct.
                              Last edited by JDP; 10-27-2011, 02:21 PM.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                                Now you are scaring me.
                                Bob is scaring me as well~
                                • he's just about giving his away- it's worth WAY MORE!!!
                                • a Provincial is all I need to complete my Family's '57 wagon collection
                                • I don't need another Stude tempting me now- I have three 'on the hook' already

What to do, what to do???

StudeDave '57
                                StudeDave '57
                                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                                San Diego Chapter SDC
                                North Florida Chapter SDC