Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From a Chevrolet advertisement in Hemmings Daily Blog:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1723866Broadway between Pike and Pine, Seattle.

Comment

• Sands Motors was in that area at that time, but I don't recall that they were on Broadway. They show an address of 11th and Pike. Seattle Police, Fire, and some other departments had Studebakers in the 20s.

Comment

• From today's Hemmings Blog. They say this is 1958 but I find that hard to believe because the newest car might be a 1952 or 1953 Buick.

There's at least one Studebaker, the dark bullet-nose facing the sidewalk about 1/3 in from the left margin. Probably others, too.

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• I also see a light colored '47 Champion 2 door sedan 5th car from the right in the front of the sidewalk centered between the darker and lighter colored power poles.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I also see a light colored '47 Champion 2 door sedan 5th car from the right in the front of the sidewalk centered between the darker and lighter colored power poles. Craig
              Agreed, Craig.

I kinda thought so, too, but knew the bullet-nose was a sure thing and made the photo worth posting here. BP

Comment

• That's also the only 2 Studebakers I could find. The dark one is 1950 with a split windshield and more chrome bullet.

Comment

• Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  That's also the only 2 Studebakers I could find. The dark one is 1950 with a split windshield and more chrome bullet.
                  Tom, only 2 Studebakers in that photo kind of tells the sad tale, doesn't it.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    Tom, only 2 Studebakers in that photo kind of tells the sad tale, doesn't it.
                    Yes and no, Ed. There are hundreds of cars in that photograph, considering those on the street along the top edge. Chances are excellent there are more Studebakers; we just can't identify them due to the photo's clarity.

The same would be true of any make...for example, I don't see any Hudsons right off, but given the time frame and the popularity of 1948-1950 Hudsons, there are surely some of them in that photo.

'Wish we had a clearer copy. BP

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Yes and no, Ed. There are hundreds of cars in that photograph, considering those on the street along the top edge. Chances are excellent there are more Studebakers; we just can't identify them due to the photo's clarity.

The same would be true of any make...for example, I don't see any Hudsons right off, but given the time frame and the popularity of 1948-1950 Hudsons, there are surely some of them in that photo.

'Wish we had a clearer copy. BP
                      I agree about the clearer copy. I took the pic into another program to enlarge it, but it will only enlarge so much before it becomes too pixilated to be of much help. So, anyone want to take a stab at the "rarest" identifiable vehicle you can identify? How 'bout the oldest? I think the newest I can determine is a 1954 Ford.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Anybody figure out what the two toned coupe with fender skirts is? Looks good from this distance.
                        Last edited by JRoberts; 09-29-2018, 12:34 AM.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                          Anybody figure out was the two toned coupe with fender skirts is? Looks good from this distance.
                          I'm thinking Lincoln Zephyr.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I also see a light colored '47 Champion 2 door sedan 5th car from the right in the front of the sidewalk centered between the darker and lighter colored power poles. Craig
                            Agreed, Craig, as I said earlier.

However, look immediately behind that light-colored car. Is that another dark-colored bullet-nose? (I repeated the image here since we are now on Page 257 of this thread!) BP

Comment

• Bob,

I believe you are right!

So far, that makes for a total of three Studebakers in that photo.

Craig

Comment

Bob,

I believe you are right!

So far, that makes for a total of three Studebakers in that photo.

Craig
                                And, predictably, that new discovery appears to be blocked in by a fat, two-toned Buick! BP

Comment

Working...
                                X