No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, as mentioned a few times on the forum, my dad was a Ford and later a GM man, so there aren't many Studebaker photos opportunities in my family.

However I ran across this photo dated October 1955 which shows me (age 1) with my parents taken at dad's grandparents house on School Street in Stowe, VT.

The car to the right is my dad's 54 Ford, however in the background (left) is what appears to be a 2R series Studebaker pickup. Likely owned by my dad's uncle as there was a story passed down that Uncle Edwin bought the Studebaker instead of a Chevy because the Studebaker was $7.50 cheaper (frugal Yankee farmer). Of course $7.50 would buy a couple tanks of gasoline back in the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan 1955.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1717771
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
      The Rambler closest to the Scotsman looks like a 4-door. The wagon is also a Rambler. And I still can't read the 'Spring' sign.
      Yes, Dwain; all 1957 Rebels were 4-door hardtops! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Yes, Dwain; all 1957 Rebels were 4-door hardtops! BP
        If I remember right, dad had a 57 Rebel Cross Country, or maybe it was a 59. To many years ago.

Comment

• My dad also bought a new 54 Ford, and from the first day he hated it so much that within a few days he went back to the dealer and bought back his 1950 Champion.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            From today's Hemmings blog (Wednesday, January 3, 2018). The poor Scotsman is bad enough, but it looks like that might be a rare 1957 Rambler Rebel in front of it!
            How safe would you have felt sitting on the park bench admiring that Scotsman in that neighborhood??

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Your monitor must be a lot larger/better than mine. Since it is, what is the rest of the sign that says "spring". The cars that I see range from 1955 to 1958. If there is a Wagonaire there it may not be part of the scrap line (employee's car, customer's car, etc.).
              I just used the magnifier function in my computer to enlarge the picture. However, in enlarging it 4X I think it is a Rambler wagon instead of a Wagonaire.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

• Here's a photo from a recent article in the Portland Press Herald (Maine) about the various major forest fires in Maine during 1947. It shows a group of fire-fighting volunteers from Bates College seated in the back of an M5 truck. The fires burned more than 200,000 acres and destroyed 1300 homes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.35.03 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1717781
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

• Whitestown NY 1950's Courtesy of Hemmings Daily
                  sigpic

Comment

• #9878 - Are you sure that is not Whitestone, NY? That Studebaker would have been considered old when that picture was taken.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      #9878 - Are you sure that is not Whitestone, NY? That Studebaker would have been considered old when that picture was taken.
                      Here's what Hemmings said about it: Location: Oriskany Boulevard, Whitestown, New York
                      But somebody else posted this address: Whitestown Shopping Plaza, 24 Oriskany Blvd, Whitesboro, NY 13492
                      Nice day to all.
                      sigpic

Comment

• & the ford beside the Studebaker wasn't that awfully new at that time either...

Comment

• Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                          & the ford beside the Studebaker wasn't that awfully new at that time either...
                          No it wasn't, but it was newer than the Studebaker.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• To me it looks like a 50 or 51 Studebaker, the ford I can't say more about than that it's a 49 to 51 model.

Comment

To me it looks like a 50 or 51 Studebaker, the ford I can't say more about than that it's a 49 to 51 model.
                              I think you are right on that. The vertical taillights on the Studebaker indicate it is a '50 or '51. The ford is likely a '49 or '50.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

To me it looks like a 50 or 51 Studebaker, the ford I can't say more about than that it's a 49 to 51 model.
                                The Studebaker trunk handle is not correct for a 1951. The Ford appears to be a 1951 to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                                I think you are right on that. The vertical taillights on the Studebaker indicate it is a '50 or '51. The ford is likely a '49 or '50.
                                The Studebaker trunk handle is not correct for a 1951. The Ford appears to be a 1951 to me.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                                X