No announcement yet.

Studes in Roadside Americana photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see one either. This is the same exact problem I have posting pictures here.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• 'Sorry about the photo that's supposed to be in 9745, guys; I've tried several ways to get it to post and it always looks fine here...but not on your end.

If I figure it out, you'll be the first to know. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
        I don't see one either. This is the same exact problem I have posting pictures here.
        Yeah Joe, but your posts with the problem always shows a box with a bold X that indicates where you attempted to post a pic, and it leads to a "work around" to get to the picture. In Palma's post, at least on my computer (using Firefox browser), there is no hint of a link or a bold X in a box.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• OK, guys; see if the photo of the 53/54 convertible appears now in Post #9745. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

• Yea!!! Thought I'd help by moving it up a page so we wouldn't have to keep scrolling back.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            'Don't think we've seen this one before. It came to me today with a bit of history. Read on below:

The exact year is unknown, but we can see a '55 Chevy across the street in the WOLF used car lot.

The scene would probably be on Indianapolis' "Automobile Row," which was East Washington Street (U. S. 40; The National Road) through downtown Indianapolis. Indianapolis' Largest Studebaker dealer, Charlie Stuart, would have had a Used Car lot along that road even if the new-car showroom was elsewhere. This photo would have been taken 6 or 7 years before we moved to Indianapolis when I was 16 years old, so this is a few years before my time in central Indiana.

The photo was sent to me by Andy Wolf, grandson of "Ike" Wolf, whose used-car dealership appears to be across the street from where this was taken. Andy is about my age (late 60s / early 70s), a freind, and heavily involved in the central Indiana collector-car hobby. The Indiana Dealer license plate on the front of the car (76M7) would identify it as the 7th set of plates issued to Indiana Motor Vehicle Dealer #76. This was back when Indiana had both front and rear plates, which we haven't had for a long time.

Andy Wolf worked at his late father (Bud Wolf's) Chevrolet dealership in northeast Indianapolis, Bud Wolf Chevrolet. There was a third(?) family member, Sam Wolf, who also operated a used-car only dealership here on Automobile Row: One way or another, Ike, Bud, and Sam where involved hustling cars around Indianapolis to whatever demographic would be best served in a given neighborhood. All have passed and the dealerships closed; only my friend Andy is left and he does not operate a dealership because he is retired.

Andy has a collection of Indianapolis Pace Cars and is intensely interested in them. He recently bought a nice maroon 1952 Commander State convertible out of Colorado. Even though it's a nice car as is, he is going to have it professionally dismantled and recreated as a 1952 Indianapolis Motor Speedway 500 Pace Car. He has the wherewithal to do it right, so it should be a gorgeous car.

He ran across the above photo somewhere today and forwarded it to me. He thinks the modification might have been done by Indianapolis' Studebaker dealer Charlie Stuart and it might have been the pace car for The Hoosier Hundred sprint car race at The Indiana State Fairgrounds. Thanks, Andy! BP
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              OK, guys; see if the photo of the 53/54 convertible appears now in Post #9745. BP
              Like me, I guess that you noticed the 1953/1954 aspects. It has 1953 bumperettes and hood emblems and 1954 parking light assemblies (grille bars).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• Many here do condemn Facebook, but it CAN provide some resourceful links:

Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY home-improvement tips, gadgets and digital technology, information on the newest cars or the latest breakthroughs in science -- PM is the ultimate guide to our high-tech lifestyle.

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Many here do condemn Facebook, but it CAN provide some resourceful links:

Popular Mechanics inspires, instructs and influences readers to help them master the modern world. Whether it’s practical DIY home-improvement tips, gadgets and digital technology, information on the newest cars or the latest breakthroughs in science -- PM is the ultimate guide to our high-tech lifestyle.

Craig
                  The car in the Old Motor link sure looks to be the same one in BP's photo, down to the bumper ends and the parking lights. How many could there have been?

OK, then I scrolled down and saw the same photo again. So, yes, it is the same car with more history.

Thanks to BP for getting this going.
                  Last edited by JimK; 11-13-2017, 08:34 PM. Reason: Jumping the gun.
                  Jim K.
                  63 Hawk

Comment

• Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    Zero, not Oh.
                    Zero or '0' on my phone would be the letter 'Z' (and 'Q' on newer phones). 'Oh' or 'O' (along with 'M' and 'N') on my phone corresponds to the number Six.

Craig

Comment

Many here do condemn Facebook, but it CAN provide some resourceful links:

Craig
                      Also, Craig; I got to thinking about this...

Isn't this the same "convertible" that was used in a wild west show with horses jumping over it? We've seen those pictures here, I'm sure. BP

Comment

• Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Isn't this the same "convertible" that was used in a wild west show with horses jumping over it? We've seen those pictures here, I'm sure. BP
                        That photo was in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ent-City-Comet

But the greediness of Photobucket now gets in the way.

Craig

Comment

Zero or '0' on my phone would be the letter 'Z' (and 'Q' on newer phones). 'Oh' or 'O' (along with 'M' and 'N') on my phone corresponds to the number Six.

Craig
                          On my old phones, the zero is by itself with the word "operator". There is no Z. We all used to say we were dialing Oh, but were really dialling zero.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

• Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                            On my old phones, the zero is by itself with the word "operator". There is no Z. We all used to say we were dialing Oh, but were really dialling zero.
                            I used an old Western Electric telephone similar to this one in the 1960's: https://antiquetelephones.name/desk/...telephone.html I distinctly remember the letter 'Z' being there.

Craig

Comment

• I still have a couple of old Western Electric rotary dial phones. Just checked them and none have a Z on the dial. Some of my more modern land-line phones have WXYZ in the last position. Maybe the Canadian-built phones were different.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

• A few to brighten the day.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X