Specific photo needed of the R5 Due Cento engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stupak View Post
    My replies/questions on this thread are my curiosity and by no means demean the efforts of Greg to reproduce one of Studebakers greatest engines. His efforts appear to be a life long quest to complete his R5 engine and I applaud him for doing so. Wouldn't it be great to have it on display at South Bend this year?

Paul: I don't know if Greg frequents this forum. If not, how about putting a bug in his ear. South Bend would certainly be the 'show case' for his engine. AND....a temporary loan to the Studebaker Museum would certainly be fitting, if he so desired.stupak
    I'll run that by him, but I don't know if he will be willing to move it. He's a busy man, two lives/jobs- day job, antique airplanes, night job, wide assortment of old cars work, some his and some others. Right now he doing a meticulous restoration of his '64 Avanti R-3 clone.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
      When I got R3 B-109 from Paxton Products in 1969, Joe Granatelli told me they could assemble one more genuine R3 using some R5 parts. Among those parts were the R5 pistons. I bought the engine and several years later when I did a valve job, I noticed the pistons were indeed the R5 bi-level design instead of stock R3 flat top pistons.

It's possible-but not very likely- that the block that came with those pistons was the original R5 block. As others have said, there's no way to tell for sure.....Paxton did not keep detailed records. The cam that came with it from Paxton was so wild that I didn't enjoy driving it on the street, so I replaced the cam with a stock one. That engine and the '63 Avanti I put it in is now owned by Ed George. Ed is doing some "freshening up" on the car and engine....it's a very nice car. BTW, I bought that car, Avanti R-3371, from Mary Ann Harbit in 1966 before she became Mrs. Harbit. It was an R1/4-speed at the time.

George
      Ed swears that it'll be done in time for the South Bend meet.

Comment

it (the R3 avanti) will be done for the may meet. i have helped a little with the mechanical stuff and get over to ed's shop every couple weeks. as usual, ed is doing more than one car at a time, so we will see how many of his cars get to SB. the Avanti and my 61 cruiser will be there, though.
        61 lark cruiser
        64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Greg and I have been friends for many years. I certainly agree that it is a commendable thing that he is doing in trying to recreate the R5. The purpose of the post was to try to pass along information and maybe have someone read it that was involved, if there still is anyone and if they can remember the "facts", and possibly get some new information before it is all lost. I personally have been passionately on this quest for nearly 50 years.

Dick

Comment

Richard: Did you receive the private message I sent you? stupak

Comment

STUPAK, I did not get your message. You can email me at rabennett3@hotmail.com.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                I'll run that by him, but I don't know if he will be willing to move it. He's a busy man, two lives/jobs- day job, antique airplanes, night job, wide assortment of old cars work, some his and some others. Right now he doing a meticulous restoration of his '64 Avanti R-3 clone.
                Greg's response-
                "Paul,
                I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea. I don't know if I could have enough of it together to make a proper presentation by then. I haven't made any event plans for the coming year. It would be nice to make the meet in South Bend. I would like to take the maroon car, it hasn't been there since the time Steve was kicked off the Proving Ground track for trying to start in last place and be the first one in. Man, those were great days.
                Anyway, I'll give it some serious thought and perhaps alter my night shift plans.
                But, no promises.
                Regards,
                GREG"
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

IThere is a photo of the DueCento engine on page 81 of Hot Rod January 1964. Not much detail but it may help someone interested in how it was.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

There is also a picture of the R5 engine in the December 1963 issue of Car Life on page 21.

Comment

Originally posted by r5duecento View Post
                      The pistons were used to assemble supposedly the last R3 engine put together as no stock pistons were available and it was sold to George Krem.
                      Here they are... definitely won't be mistaken for standard R3 pistons.

Comment

Working...
                      X