Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK64
    replied
    It is interesting to note the illustrated 1909 Ambulance Wagon has a brass "The Studebaker Corporation" name plate attached. The Studebaker Corporation was not incorporated until 1911 succeeding the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company. Brass name plates with "Studebaker Bros Mfg Co" were used until 1911. I have one of these earlier name plates so perhaps the 1909 Ambulance may be a couple of years later if the attached name plate is correct??

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Studebaker made ambulances/"ambulets" in the U.S. as early as the '30s. There's one in the SNM from the South Bend Epworth hospital which later became Memorial hospital. It's a little known fact, but the Studebaker brothers donated the land to build the Epworth hospital.

Leave a comment:

• Jim B PEI
    replied
    Originally posted by Chantony View Post
    HI Matt.
    Marius Venz from Adelaide had a Superior Coach works ambulance with a single light in the raised front of the roof.I recall seeing it often in the seventies and eighties,so I'm guessing it survives today.I bought a fawn coloured Superior ambulance from Ray Crunkhorn,also from Adelaide,but mine didn't have the raised round projection in the roof for the light.Mine still had the original drawers and shelves as used when it was new.Strangely,mine was licensed as a 65,but had a Studebaker V8 and auto trans.I towed a 26 Standard six tourer to W.A. with it and sold the ambulance years ago.It was close to fully restored,so I guess it still exists,but I haven't seen it for years.
    My ambulance had an interesting adventure after its years of ambulance service.A Stude collector in Adelaide with many award winning cars was having a mild stroke and an ambulance was needed.We called for an ambulance and told the driver to look for the fawn ambulance at the street corner and we'd take him to the patient,so there we were-a Studebaker ambulance leading a Ford F250 ambulance down the street to collect the patient,who survived by the way.True story.
    Interesting that, having a Studebaker V8 in a 65! We already knew that the Studebakers in Australia (and New Zealand I would guess) retained the 64-65 Front ends rather than changing to the 66 style, but this is a new one!

Where were the taillights sourced from? One looks like earlier Lark sedan, and another looks slightly like the 62 station wagon design

Leave a comment:

• Chantony
    replied
    HI Matt.
    Marius Venz from Adelaide had a Superior Coach works ambulance with a single light in the raised front of the roof.I recall seeing it often in the seventies and eighties,so I'm guessing it survives today.I bought a fawn coloured Superior ambulance from Ray Crunkhorn,also from Adelaide,but mine didn't have the raised round projection in the roof for the light.Mine still had the original drawers and shelves as used when it was new.Strangely,mine was licensed as a 65,but had a Studebaker V8 and auto trans.I towed a 26 Standard six tourer to W.A. with it and sold the ambulance years ago.It was close to fully restored,so I guess it still exists,but I haven't seen it for years.
    My ambulance had an interesting adventure after its years of ambulance service.A Stude collector in Adelaide with many award winning cars was having a mild stroke and an ambulance was needed.We called for an ambulance and told the driver to look for the fawn ambulance at the street corner and we'd take him to the patient,so there we were-a Studebaker ambulance leading a Ford F250 ambulance down the street to collect the patient,who survived by the way.True story.

Leave a comment:

• larryyano
    replied
    Low Horsepower Ambulance

Leave a comment:

• HAWK64
    replied
    Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
    Looks like they eliminated the water leaks from the sliding roof also!
    Warren,
    You are right on the button. We had so much problem with water leaks on NEWLY assembled '63 sliding roof Wagonaires that we only marketed fixed roof options during 1964 & beyond.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK64
    replied
    Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
    I went to the the local Stude club annual concours yesterday (Sunday). Here are a some pics of a couple of ambulances, which I'm led to believe was only an Aussie thing??.

Matt, Thanks for posting those fresh photos of the two surviving Aussie ambulances. The light coloured one I rescued back in the mid seventies by buying it direct from the East Gippsland Ambulance Service here in Victoria. There were four or five in this fibreglass body style built here. The blue one was originally built in Queensland along with ten or more others by Superior Body Works from new sedans supplied by Canada Cycle & Motor Co here in Melbourne. The original colour was a mid beige being the corporate colour of the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigade at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Looks like they eliminated the water leaks from the sliding roof also!

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Ah shucks, they eliminated the sliding roof.

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    So, do they make Studebaker UTEs down under?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    I posted these before from Australian Classic Car Magazine: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=ambulance

Craig

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Studebaker ambulets are not unknown in the U.S.
    The bumped roof ambulances are an obviously superior example of the wizards of OZ.

Leave a comment:

• fatboylust
    replied
    Good looking rigs. Here are some US examples.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P6202102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1670542Click image for larger version

Name:	AMBULANCE CLIPPING.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1670543

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    I've never heard of any 1960's Stude being converted into a full on ambulance here in the USA..............ambulets, yes. Probably due to the tiny pool of prospective platforms readily available in Australia. And too; the only small platform with a V8 Down Under in the early 1960's (before the AP6 Valiant [1965-66] or XR Falcon [1967]) outside of the Compact Fairlane.

Leave a comment:

• Aussie Hawk
    started a topic Stude Ambulances

Stude Ambulances

I went to the the local Stude club annual concours yesterday (Sunday). Here are a some pics of a couple of ambulances, which I'm led to believe was only an Aussie thing??.

Working...
X