Love to have this Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    The door tag reattached could cause issues with your local DMV and without seeing the underside there is just enough rust showing to make me wonder.
    Body #992 left South Bend with that Serial Number attached, Bob, so while it may have fallen off at one time (and I doubt it; looks OK to me) it belongs with that body number.

More than once I've seen serial number tags that looked like that; sloppy attachment. No reason to suspect foul play here. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

what the factory was doing to not have paint on the underside and then not locate the VIN plate on correctly.
      The area where the vin tag is placed was not painted due to the vin being installed after paint. Using spot welders on that plate made it nessisary to have clean metal behind it. I dont know for a certainty but would think that the vin tag would have been installed toward the end of assembly to make sure the tag matched the vin stamped on the rear crossmember.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Body #992 left South Bend with that Serial Number attached, Bob, so while it may have fallen off at one time (and I doubt it; looks OK to me) it belongs with that body number.

More than once I've seen serial number tags that looked like that; sloppy attachment. No reason to suspect foul play here. BP
        That's why I try to avoid to many statements about Studebakers due to my limited knowledge. What threw me off was what appeared to be rivet mark on the right side mounting site on the tag. I'd still take a copy of the build sheet or find the secret number on the frame, as the inspector probably knows less than I do about Studebakers, as scary as that can be.

Bob

Comment

That is absolutely correct Warren. The space for the serial Number plate even has 4 "dimples' where the welds should go, AND two screw holes with notches in the Plate to properly secure it for welding, great Engineering blueprint, poor Union application.

My '64 Daytona Sedan, the 37th. V-8 '64 Studebaker built, must have been one of many that the guy who always came in on Monday Morning hung over welded on!

It was so crooked, and with TWO burned welds, that the Calif. Highway Patrol actually impounded it to check out the frame number for a stolen car! They knew from a book right where to go and even unbolted a trailer hitch before grinding on the frame with a wire wheel to locate the "secret" Serial Number!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's back on Ebay again...

Surprised no one mentioned the 160 Spedo in addition to the Powershift earlier in this thread.

No other evidence of being a Jet Thrust car, so should we assume it was swapped in or were they just installing what ever parts were ready and on the shelves during assemby the last of the Hawks in '64?

Either way, this car appears to be your typical carport car -covered in dust and dirt both inside and out from sitting.

I'd probably "Roll the Dice" on her if I were in the market.

Comment

I don't think that I looked at this thread/topic the last time that it was up. The car appears to have New York inspection sticker, registration sticker and plates. I believe that I looked at this car sitting at a house with a shop out back near Marlboro/Highland, NY many years ago. At that time, it was much worse up close than it was from 20 feet away. They wanted about five times what it would have gone for at that time. Maybe someone from New Jersey bought the car and is tryng to recoup his expense or the owner and car just relocated to NJ.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X