Ouch! Can you imagine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch! Can you imagine...

...if this would have happened last year during the SDC 47th Annual National Meet in Phoenix/Glendale?

A few folks would still be buffing their cars. Trying to clean all the dust out of interior crevices and such would go on for months. Unbelievable:

Frank Van Doorn? Denny Lockmon? First-hand reports, please. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I live in north central Phoenix, and I didn't get it as bad as the folks in Chandler, Mesa, etc (east siders)

It was epic though. After the record forest fires, and now the big wall of dirt (we were looking for a face to form, like in The Mummy), I'm thinking a plague of locusts may the next thing for Arizona . . .
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Bob,
      I can respond also. We were playing cards on the Northwest side of town and when we got outside our white car was coated in dust and it began to rain. I now have a brown car. On the good side, the wind never made it to our side of town or by our home on the side of the mountain. It was foggy like a heavy fog, but instead of fog it was dust. We did not get it into the house or the garage where my Stude is parked. Still, the dust on our outdoor furniture was tremendous and the rain we got turned everything to a slimy mud. Had to clean off the deck and all furniture. So things are ok here now and the air has cleared. This was by far the biggest we have ever seen in our 7 years down here.
      Take care,
      Brian Millette

Comment

In Peoria (5 miles North of the Glendale International), cars that were parked outside looked like they had been rained on by mud! You could not see out of the windshields. It was not like a dirty car that got rain drops on it - they were covered with a coating of dirt!

Lines at local car washes were long........like the gas lines in the 70s.
        Last edited by White Hawk; 07-07-2011, 06:53 AM.
        sigpic

Mike Barany

Comment

Denny tells me they had no ill effects from it. It bypassed them alltogether in Sun City he related. He said his neighborhood has "Special blessings"
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It rained here for a minute or two. Didn't even get the pavement wet. Not far from here the cars looked like they had been at the mud drags. /we are lucky the dust storm missed us. South of here swimming pools are a mess and air conditioners plugged.

Denny L

Comment

The video didn't say- what caused it?
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Mankind and human activity, Bob;what else? <GGG> BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder if that two-engined Toronado could create one of those.....?
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I wonder if that two-engined Toronado could create one of those.....?
                    With you driving, the resultant dust storm wouldn't be confined to the central part of the state, Bob. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      With you driving, the resultant dust storm wouldn't be confined to the central part of the state, Bob. BP
                      ...OR the carbon footprint. OHH, the polar bears!
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

It takes place during the monsoon season, the monsoon season is going on now, most times it is not that severe though Bob. Winds exceeding 60mph whip up the dust in the desert and carry it fo many miles. It is called a HABOOB.

Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Sort of reminds me when Mount St. Helens blew in 1980. The dust was so bad in certain areas people were told not to run engines of any kind because of the abraisive nature of the volcanic ash.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                            It is called a HABOOB.
                            No, I did not sniggle like an adolescent at that name.
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Your reply (which I patiently waited for Bob) and knew was coming, only took 14 minutes! LOL
                              No, I did not sniggle like an adolescent at that name.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X