4L60 in Super Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4L60 in Super Hawk

Would it lower the value of a 63 Full package GT Hawk to replace the Power Shift with a 4L60 transmission while I have the motor & transmission out?
    Allen

As for me, it would be ideal to have it with the overdrive transmission as I like to drive my Studebaker on the highway at highway speeds (65 mph or more) and not have the engine screaming from running at high RPM's, plus gaining fuel mileage would be appreciated. But, for those that trailer and show their cars, it would probably be more valuable to them to retain all things original. Perhaps the car could be returned to original if a future owner wished to make it that way?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If you ever intend to sell the car to a purist...Yes..It will reduce the value.

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
      Would it lower the value of a 63 Full package GT Hawk to replace the Power Shift with a 4L60 transmission while I have the motor & transmission out?
      Allen
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Go for it. I am planning put one in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          If you ever intend to sell the car to a purist...Yes..It will reduce the value.
          If your GT is already a 1st place winner at meets maybe Jeff is correct, but if its an older original or an older restoration then the value should you ever sell it probably will not be affected too much. There are lots of people selling their Power Shift trannies as many choose to replace them with GM 4speed automatics, so their are many available to put back into if someone wants originality, or you can just hang on to yours to sell with the car in the future.
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Uh Hu

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            As for me, it would be ideal to have it with the overdrive transmission as I like to drive my Studebaker on the highway at highway speeds (65 mph or more) and not have the engine screaming from running at high RPM's, plus gaining fuel mileage would be appreciated. But, for those that trailer and show their cars, it would probably be more valuable to them to retain all things original. Perhaps the car could be returned to original if a future owner wished to make it that way?
            Easy on the engine is the way to go. I try to keep the RPM's 2100 max with FOM 3:31 but then again I don't mind just driving a bit under 60. If you change to an overdrive, retain all parts for reasons previously stated. Oh yea. . jimmijim
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I agree that an overdrive automatic is the way to go. I suggest though that you consider a 200-4R rather than the 4L60. They are a more compact transmission and the gear ratio spread is much better. The 4L60 is essentially a 700R4, it has a very low 1st gear 3.06 and has a big drop to a 1.63 second gear. The 200-4R has a 2.74 1st and 1.57 second. They both have similar OD ratios, .7 and .67. Your motor needs to have a strong, flat torque curve to overcome the big RPM drop on the 1-2 shift in the 4L60. It's like the difference between a wide ratio and close ratio in a 4 speed manual.

As for originality, just keep the original trans, cross member and drive shaft to sell with the car if it ever comes to that.

Pat
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

4l60

Installed a 700r4 in my 73 Avanti whitch has a small block 400 with a 4speed, replaced the 4speed with the 4l60 six yrs ago ,still have the 3.73 rear end, was thimking about going to a higher rear gear but preforms real well the way it is,made a lot better driver especially while driving the hills of south MO. an the Branson area. MAC

Comment

agree with the 200-4R, unless you already have the 4L60 laying around somewhere.
                  Ditto on keeping the old trans, etc. for the same reasons...
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Doesn't the 4L60 require a computer to handle shifting? I'm going with a 200-4r in my truck for reasons stated above. They aren't as popular or easy to find as the 700-r4 but they are out there.
                    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

The 4L60 works like a 700R4, the 4L60E is electronic controlled.

Pat
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                      X