• Time
  • Show
Clear All

!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!

Will Cummins Engine also be coming back to the former Studebaker Foundry

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
      !!!BREAKING NEWS!!!

Will Cummins Engine also be coming back to the former Studebaker Foundry? …or building a new foundry on that site??? Only time will tell.

http://tinyurl.com/42odwwj

Columbus, Indiana is a lonngggg way from South Bend.

Comment

Drove past the "Engineering" buildeng today. It is a pile of rubble on the ground. It's a little depressing to drive by now. To think that not long ago we were all over that building moveing parts. Jim

Comment

Hey Bob, Did you see any more of those leaking paint pails that held Stude block paint the last time you were there? I still have the container of foundry sand on my mantle! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
            Hey Bob, Did you see any more of those leaking paint pails that held Stude block paint the last time you were there? I still have the container of foundry sand on my mantle! Thanks again.
            Nope, Duane; I did not. Actually, I did not get far enough east on the foundry floor to see where that skid of pails of paint had been deteriorating.

As I recall, and I do remember it vividly, those 5-gallon pails weren't necessarily block paint. I distinctly remember seeing a Rinshed-Mason pail identified as Horizon Green. That would make sense, since Horizon Green was a color available during the last months of production in South Bend.

They might have been too lazy (or any one of a dozen possibilities) to send a skid of assorted colors to Hamilton to build out the 1964 model year. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
              I still have the container of foundry sand on my mantle!
              Well that's good to hear!!
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

This is like watching my mother get mugged.

Comment

I thought I read somewhere a few years ago that the guard shack - or one of them, anyway - was to be dismantled brick by brick and moved to a new location. Was I dreaming?
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The city took the guard shack and iron fence that was on the west side of the engineer building apart to be used in Igniton Park. Time will tell. Jim

Comment

Here is link to a few photo of what's left of the building 92 (Engineering)

Comment

During the years the engineering bldg was used, who would have occupied the wood paneled room at the top of the stairs from the entrance on Sample St; Loewy, et al?

Comment

Originally posted by Radsman View Post
                          During the years the engineering bldg was used, who would have occupied the wood paneled room at the top of the stairs from the entrance on Sample St; Loewy, et al?
                          Good question, I would love to know too.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Loewy's office was in the Admin Building

Comment

OK, I ran across a document today that will clear up / verify the Foundry's usage after Studebaker closed.

The following is from a personal letter to me and cousin George Krem on Studebaker letterhead dated November 27, 1964, signed by Roy B. Bender, SASCO President at the time. Here's an exact quote of the appropriate paragraph; no editing. (We had written him to protest using "Chevy" engines in 1965 Studebakers.):

So that you will know, the old Studebaker Foundry was purchased by Cummins Diesel and has already been converted to producing diesel engine castings. The automated engine tools were sold to Chrysler Corporation and they have already been removed.

So that explains the Cummins connection/usage, and how it may have been misinterpreted that Chrysler owned or used the Foundry after Studebaker's demise, since there was Chrysler involvement of some type. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                                Good question, I would love to know too.
                                I know. That room was a meeting room for engineering and materials vendors. It was essentially a board room. To the left of that room was where the department heads had their offices, like E.T. Reynolds.
                                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                                X