Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back to being a one-Studebaker owner again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back to being a one-Studebaker owner again...

Well, my Strato Blue '64 Daytona Hardtop is en route to Australia now. I sold it to a forum member in Oz. Not certain what his plans are for it.

As longtime forum members know, I bought this car with high hopes from a seller in WI two years ago, because the car was a model I always liked a lot and was sold new by my friend and hometown Studebaker dealer. What's more, I can remember the car around town from my teen years as the original owners had it until 1990 and sold it in the April 1990 TW for $2,500--at that time it had only 55K miles. It had 103K miles when I bought it.

The car was misrepresented IMO, in several ways, when I purchased it and I just wasn't up to the task in getting anything really done about it.

I was sad but also a bit relieved when I dropped it off at the shipper's.

The original owners knew I bought it and were excited about that. I never got it over there to show them as I never felt comfortable making a 150-mile round trip in it. They both passed within six months of my taking delivery of the car. Ironically, just last week in my hometown paper was an article that the three historical society museums in my hometown just recently received money from the '64's original owners' estates. They had no children.

The original owners' executor gave my sister a large wooden frame with many smaller photos of the '64 in it--as many folks would fill with grandkids' pictures! It was found in their house. I've decided to keep that.

Who knows, in the next year or so I may be looking for a solid, good-running, not-needing-hardly-anything '63-66 two-door sedan...any engine.
    Last edited by Bill Pressler; 06-02-2011, 04:41 AM. Reason: Changing years in last sentence
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Sorry to hear that you sold the '64, Bill. I know you had high hopes for it and I know that the fact that it came from Filer's made it more special to you.

Dave Bonn

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
      Sorry to hear that you sold the '64, Bill. I know you had high hopes for it and I know that the fact that it came from Filer's made it more special to you.

Dave Bonn
      Thanks Dave, I appreciate that. How've you been? Haven't seen you on here for a while.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

What Dave Bonn said, Bill. The fact that the original owners were living when you bought the car and have since passed away had to have helped let the air out of the balloon, too. 'Sounds like it is going to a good home, however. Cool beans! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          What Dave Bonn said, Bill. The fact that the original owners were living when you bought the car and have since passed away had to have helped let the air out of the balloon, too. 'Sounds like it is going to a good home, however. Cool beans! BP
          A couple folks have said to me, "Wow, from Greenville, PA to Australia!" I know the feeling.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this, Bill. I hope you got your money back out of it.

For those that don't know, I was one of the folks Bill asked for help in evaluating the car. We exchanged several e-mails and pored over several pictures. While it was a close call, I advised on my opinion of the condition and apparently missed the call. I've felt bad about that ever since; especially since Bill is a good friend. Although Bill was never mad at me about it, I have vowed never to make a close call for anyone by photos again.

Best of luck on your next one, Bill.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              I'm sorry to hear this, Bill. I hope you got your money back out of it.

For those that don't know, I was one of the folks Bill asked for help in evaluating the car. We exchanged several e-mails and pored over several pictures. While it was a close call, I advised on my opinion of the condition and apparently missed the call. I've felt bad about that ever since; especially since Bill is a good friend. Although Bill was never mad at me about it, I have vowed never to make a close call for anyone by photos again.

Best of luck on your next one, Bill.
              Hey Bob, don't sweat it! Based on the pics, it did look a lot better than what showed up at my door! Amazing when you stop the picture just short of where the issues are! I had to laugh...the seller told me he wouldn't have hesitated to drive it from northern WI to OH. When I first got it, I wouldn't have driven it ten miles...sticking wheel cylinders even though he said he'd recently changed them...complete fabrication when we saw them...oh well, I did get my friend Joe to fix that.

It's in a better place now ! (LOL)

The original owners were Delmar and Georgine Keeley. I tip my hat to them for holding onto the car so long in a snowy winter climate-area, and for being real Studebaker folks. They had traded in a '53 Champion coupe on the Daytona.
              Last edited by Bill Pressler; 06-02-2011, 01:19 PM.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

As someone once said to me, we are only the current keepers of our vehicles. More importantly, we are the ultimate recyclers, since our cars will someday be in the hands of new owners. And the beat goes on.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Such a travesty Bill. Not very nice. What goes around comes round. You are not alone. Top this. Wifey is trying to recuperate 1400.00 she spent on a misrepresented health insurance policy that was sold to her by a person that wasn't a licensed salesman. Any how, she never used their steenking insurance and cancelled the policy. Something stinks about her transaction then again she always says to me. "you think you know everything"
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I didn't even know that the car was for sale. Did I miss it on the Forum or was it a just one person type of deal?
                    It didn't work out as planned. Now you can move on. There will always be another car.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bill, it sure does look pretty in your picture. I am very surprised that this car has issues with as good as it looks. Let this be a lesson to your '63 Daytona....."If you misbehave, down the road you go!".
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                        Bill, it sure does look pretty in your picture. I am very surprised that this car has issues with as good as it looks. Let this be a lesson to your '63 Daytona....."If you misbehave, down the road you go!".
                        Too late Brent, the 63 is coming with the 64, since Bill has broken the news, I thought I might as well elaborate. i didn't need a Bam's evaluation to buy both. ( no disrespect Bob)
                        Regards Brian.
                        Brian Greenall
                        Melbourne, OZ
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post

Dave Bonn
                          Bill, Dave

I know that parting with a '64 HT can be a tough decision. Who knows, you may decide to buy another some day. I hear that there's a decent black one in CT now.

Hope to see you guys at Gettysburg.
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                            Too late Brent, the 63 is coming with the 64, since Bill has broken the news, I thought I might as well elaborate. i didn't need a Bam's evaluation to buy both. ( no disrespect Bob)
                            Regards Brian.
                            It's true. I want to send Brian some photos underneath, around, etc., first--my nit-picking nature as an auditor pushes me towards being a 'full disclosure' guy! But he's liked what he's seen already. I've had the car 23 years and have enjoyed it. With college for daughter Kelsey coming up, I could enjoy a less-flashy later Lark, at least one that's solid and has had most mechanical stuff done already (although of course I know that with an old car, there's always something!).
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

I didn't even know that the car was for sale. Did I miss it on the Forum or was it a just one person type of deal?
                              It didn't work out as planned. Now you can move on. There will always be another car.

Gary, I'd let a few people in area know that I was thinking about letting it go. A mutual friend of Brian's and mine got us together.

I know there'll always be another car. That is a sound, good, practical way to look at it. But I'm a mushy, nostalgic guy about some stuff! I've got to get past that!
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X