Did a little drag racing tonight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a little drag racing tonight...

Went to the local track (50 miles away) with #2 son to make a few passes. I was a little disappointed but it is what it is. The best was a 15.097 at 91.56 MPH. It was a perfect night, cool no wind at all. The car ran as good as it could. No misses, flat spots, overheats or crazy shimmies and the boost gage stayed pinned a 5lbs so no belt slips or air leaks. In fact, it pulled clean and smooth to 5200 RPM in each gear.

There's probably a sub 15 second run in there somewhere. I played with the timing a little with performance nothing better than where I had it set initially. I purposely left all my carb jets at home because it runs great on the street and gets 23MPG on the highway and I just didn't feel like messing with it.

Every contemporary road test I've read puts a 4 speed R2 at around 16 seconds and an automatic with 3.73's at 15.8. So, I guess the few little mods I've done have had some effect.

ErnieR

I think you would be traction limited with those pizza cutter tires on
    it. I have heard that the drag strip is the ultimate way to humble a
    car owner - and why manufacturers say, "your results may vary".

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Actually, it left with a small amount of tire spin and no wheel hop. One of my former toys was a 69 GP that had a race weight of 4500 lb's and 60 series BFG's. It could spin them half the length of the track. I built the motor to be fun on the street LOTS of low end. I got pretty adept at launching that car. It would 60' at just over 2 seconds and run 14.2's all day. I will say that the Avanti ran the best it could without doing something major to improve it. The 60 foot times were 2.260's and I think the only way to improve that would be to have more torque.

I was happy that I left none of the car on the track and after getting whomped on for 7 runs it cruised on home nice as cab be.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Tom

Comment

Actually, it left with a small amount of tire spin and no wheel hop. One of my former toys was a 69 GP that had a race weight of 4500 lb's and 60 series BFG's. It could spin them half the length of the track. I built the motor to be fun on the street LOTS of low end. I got pretty adept at launching that car. It would 60' at just over 2 seconds and run 14.2's all day. I will say that the Avanti ran the best it could without doing something major to improve it. The 60 foot times were 2.260's and I think the only way to improve that would be to have more torque.

I was happy that I left none of the car on the track and after getting whomped on for 7 runs it cruised on home nice as cab be.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Tom

Comment

Congrats, Ernie! Great times. Great picture too.

Your mods have certainly paid off. Here's a couple of period road tests:

October 1962 Road and Track
            R2 4 speed Avanti. 4.09 TT axle
            16.2 @ 88 MPH

January 1963 Car and Driver
            R2 4 speed Avanti. 3.73 TT Axle
            16 (no speed)

June 1963 Motor Trend
            R2 PowerShift Super Hawk. 3.73 TT axle
            16.8 @ 85.2 MPH

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Congrats, Ernie! Great times. Great picture too.

Your mods have certainly paid off. Here's a couple of period road tests:

October 1962 Road and Track
              R2 4 speed Avanti. 4.09 TT axle
              16.2 @ 88 MPH

January 1963 Car and Driver
              R2 4 speed Avanti. 3.73 TT Axle
              16 (no speed)

June 1963 Motor Trend
              R2 PowerShift Super Hawk. 3.73 TT axle
              16.8 @ 85.2 MPH

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Dick...the track photographer had 3 pics of my car but this one catches it just as I started to accelerate. Naturally, I forgot my camera, I don't take many pictures anyway, but since I don't think the Avanti will be racing again anytime soon I sprung for the $15.00 charge.

ErnieR

Comment

Thanks Dick...the track photographer had 3 pics of my car but this one catches it just as I started to accelerate. Naturally, I forgot my camera, I don't take many pictures anyway, but since I don't think the Avanti will be racing again anytime soon I sprung for the $15.00 charge.

ErnieR

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bige

Thanks Dick...the track photographer had 3 pics of my car...
                    There's a money making idea for some camera bug at the "unofficial" South Bend drags. Looks like a longish lens at the 60' mark. I'd sure spring for $15 for a picture like that [].

Ernie, I hope you'll be at South Bend with that fine Avanti and do some racing Friday afternoon.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bige

Thanks Dick...the track photographer had 3 pics of my car...
                      There's a money making idea for some camera bug at the "unofficial" South Bend drags. Looks like a longish lens at the 60' mark. I'd sure spring for $15 for a picture like that [].

Ernie, I hope you'll be at South Bend with that fine Avanti and do some racing Friday afternoon.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Great to hear about someone actually driving one to the max now and then - besides Killer Ted, that is.

Good show![]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Great to hear about someone actually driving one to the max now and then - besides Killer Ted, that is.

Good show![]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah, the Avanti got a good workout...first 3 runs were back to back. Run the 1/4 stage, run the quarter stage and so on. I could have gone 20 times but my kid and I were sharing a helmet and he was itchin'.

The car did good, got the "s" kicked out of it and drove the 50 miles home.

Lotsa fun!

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Good show![]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yeah, the Avanti got a good workout...first 3 runs were back to back. Run the 1/4 stage, run the quarter stage and so on. I could have gone 20 times but my kid and I were sharing a helmet and he was itchin'.

The car did good, got the "s" kicked out of it and drove the 50 miles home.

Lotsa fun!

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Good show![]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X