• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninety DEGREE TURN OR EVIL THOUGHT?

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, I say go for it, absolutely. Having driven both 6 cylinder and V8 Studebaker trucks, once you do the swap you'll be thinking "why didn't I do this 30 years ago!?"

I did this very swap in my '59 4E1 pickup. My truck was a 170 Six and I replaced it with a 259 from a Transtar. You'll need the V8 truck motor mounts, bell housing, water pump manifold, throttle linkages, clutch linkages, shifter linkages, transmission and driveshaft. The V8 column shift assembly is different from the 6, as the 6 cylinder shifter "bellcranks" will hit the V8 exhaust manifold.

Gather the right parts and it'll be a bolt in swap. It sounds like you have everything except the 1/2 ton V8 Short Wheel Base driveshaft, and maybe the shifter parts.

BTW, if you want to keep the single exhaust, I have a brand new set of V8 truck headpipes that I won't be needing as I'm installing duals.
    Last edited by mbstude; 03-23-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Go for it!
      The fun is in the driving.......and if you are afraid to take you baby any distance it is time to beef her up!
      We are not getting any younger and I am sure the "Studebaker Gods" won't stike you down for putting a Studebaker in your Studebaker.
      Rember the commercial where the guy slaps himself on the forhead and says "I sould have had a V8"
      well do you think Liz regrets having Eddy Fisher today?
      It just doesn't matter in the big picture of life. Do it!
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Do what makes you happy. If you'll enjoy it more with the V8 go for it. You've had the truck so long resale value is obviously not a concern. Keep the stock parts and it can always be put back if its next caretaker chooses to.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
          well do you think Liz regrets having Eddy Fisher today?
          It just doesn't matter in the big picture of life. Do it!
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Not now that she is deceased.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A friend of mine put a 289 in his 55 truck and had to add a leaf to each side in front to hold it up right.

Comment

John, I have been labled as one who resists change(so I didn't vote for Obama) I have driven both 6 and 8 cyl trucks and there is much to be said for both. It depends on what you want to do with it. I considered changing a very original Scotty to a V8 because I thought I had blown the engine. Also I thought it would be a bolt in change like a Chevy. Not so. You must change almost every piece of the drivetrain and the steering column unless you use a floor shift. After assessing the amount of work involved, I looked closer at the little Champ and found it had only jumped time. I changed the timing gear in the back yard and put it back to work.

If I were in your shoes, I would do a general overhaul on the bullit proof Champion 6 and keep on trucking. My differance of opinion from the above post are most likely due to the difference in ages. NT
              Neil Thornton

Comment

As a little foible, in 1956 Studebaker provided a 223 with an automatic in the C-Cabs, stock, so why not? Ask me how I know .....

(Although something with a little more stroke would be a lot more manageable in a pickup )

We have plans for doing that with one of the pickups here. I need to add that one of the modifications will need to find the truck water pump and manifold on the engine, rather than use the passenger car water pump. The car water pump and manifold sits too low in the engine bay, so the fan will not be inline with the radiator. By using the truck pump and manifold, it will raise pump and manifold to the stock position for the trucks. These are a little difficult to find NOS.
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I have looked at a few gals and had an evil 90 degree thought....
                  But then reality set in.....
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Not now that she is deceased.
                    Happened to see Eddie Fisher in his first concert after Liz kicked him out. He seemed a little sad, but why not? In my opinion he was a good singer as compared to others in that era.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I have never done a changeover on that year Stude truck. But, it does sound like you have everything you
                      need to do it "correct" with parts from the other truck. Are all the parts the same on the two trucks / Such
                      as the water manifold and engine mounts? I know, Matthew said the driveshaft was different, but thats a
                      minor thing. I always do changeovers better with a parts vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                      X