Desert Car Kings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Car Kings

Wednesday March 9th Desert Car Kings will feature a 1950 Studebaker. Check your local listings for Discovery Channel. Should be 10PM est.
    Richard
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Yep the boys are doing a make over on the 50
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

$8000 bid against a $9500 reserve for their "restored" 1950 Business coupe, so they decided to keep it.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I've seen better paint jobs.

Comment

Definitely good entertainment, especially when the owner tells the boys "facts" about Studebakers! His description of Hill Holder showed that he did not know anything about it, other than what it did for the driver.

Comment

Very disturbing 'show' . Go work for Unique Whips you butchers!!

Comment

Sounds like I should be glad that I don't have TV.
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Eh, it was entertaining, and it's always nice to see a Studebaker make it back on the road, but I agree, they didn't do a stellar job on the thing. I couldn't help but cringe at the swirls in the paint as it sat out in the sun. I didn't like the air conditioner unit they strapped onto it, and in general it looked like they did a half-hearted restoration, which showed in the fact that despite it's rarity, it didn't even meet the reserve cost.

On the flip side, had this been an amateur in his home garage, I probably would have applauded the work that was done. It went from being scrap to being at least a 20 footer. I guess my biggest complaint was that this was supposed to be a "professional" job, and it came out looking like it did.

In the end, it's still one more Studebaker on the road, and that's a good thing no matter how great the restoration was.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Definitely not "Overhaulin'"

It seems like there was a more to see in the garage of the "Studebaker Expert"

Would have been nice to spend 45 minutes (show time) in there

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I've seen better paint jobs.
                    For real! And it seemed like they prepped the body OK, so what a wasted effort.
                    I love how the only point to all these stupid reality shows is to 'make money'. But who wants to buy something you just have to do all over?
                    They did a nice job on the front seat...think they de-rusted all the springs first?
                    You can't do a proper job in 3 weeks boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                      You can't do a proper job in 3 weeks boys.
                      Watching the repeat of the show late at night, it was interesting that "Overhaulin'" followed Desert Car Kings. While Chip Foose does more of a customized restore than a return to stock, they still manage to build beautiful cars in 7 days.

Of course, the contrast is that Foose is a lifelong expert with a team of 20+ lifelong experts working with him aroung the clock, where the guys on Desert Car Kings are a couple scrapyard workers who only recently decided to try restoring vehicles, and apparently spend their time sending their tow truck drivers off on wild goose chases and then retreat to their offices. ( I don't think I saw the DCK shop owner lift a finger to work on the Studebaker)
                      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Just another staged reality show?!

Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

I've disliked the show from the get-go and have not changed my mind.

However, I still DVR it and can watch it long enough to see the little car content that exists and bury the rest in fast forward one-minute at a time. It makes a pretty good 5-minute show when you remove most of the dreck.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            However, I still DVR it and can watch it long enough to see the little car content that exists and bury the rest in fast forward one-minute at a time. It makes a pretty good 5-minute show when you remove most of the dreck.

Bob
                            Funny, I find myself doing that too.....at the point where the "yard manager" comes out and looks over a customer's ride, and gives the viewers a history lesson.
                            I would rather hear it from the owner himself.
                            I couldn't help but think of Steinkamp and the Packard he had......when the DCK yard manager stood on the bumper of the Packard and watched the torsion suspension work.
                            Keep an eye on that ash tray.
                            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

So who was the Stude guy they went to vist? Nice garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X