Comment

Grandma is probably saying to herself...."fools and their
      money are departed easily...why in the world did they go
      out and buy this fool thing...when we have plently of
      Studebaker wagons and horses, that will always be around!"

glen Brose
      Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Identification of cars can be difficult.
        Otheritems of interest:
        Number of spokes on wheels - frant and rear may differ. Still stock?
        Type of tire attachent.
        Shape of door corners and anything to make them disstinctive, like presssed sections, handle positioning.
        Shape of radiator and any pressed sections. Emblems, too.
        Headlight, if after they became standard.
        Cowl conture.
        Windshield attachment and suppots, and shape of glass itself.
        Body shape uder doors.
        Any mechanical parts in sight.
        Folded roof attachments and shape
        seats.

My worst request:

"This is my wifes uncle, we think.
        The picture was taken in Austria, probably after WWI, but we think that it's an American car, but there was a different rear section made for it over there.
        What is it?"

The only thing worse is when it's from a laywer who sent requests to many possible sources. If they demanded proof, but would pay for successful response, it wouldn't be so bad.

Karl (SNM does research for a fee, I might add.)

Karl

Comment

Identification of cars can be difficult.
          Otheritems of interest:
          Number of spokes on wheels - frant and rear may differ. Still stock?
          Type of tire attachent.
          Shape of door corners and anything to make them disstinctive, like presssed sections, handle positioning.
          Shape of radiator and any pressed sections. Emblems, too.
          Headlight, if after they became standard.
          Cowl conture.
          Windshield attachment and suppots, and shape of glass itself.
          Body shape uder doors.
          Any mechanical parts in sight.
          Folded roof attachments and shape
          seats.

My worst request:

"This is my wifes uncle, we think.
          The picture was taken in Austria, probably after WWI, but we think that it's an American car, but there was a different rear section made for it over there.
          What is it?"

The only thing worse is when it's from a laywer who sent requests to many possible sources. If they demanded proof, but would pay for successful response, it wouldn't be so bad.

Karl (SNM does research for a fee, I might add.)

Karl

Comment

I've noticed the the wheel hubs or hubcaps are extremely flat for the period. I have never seen another car of the time with such flat hubs. Usually they stick out 2, 3 inches or even more. It looks like it might say "50" on the hub caps, but it's so hard to tell. there are enough distinguishing features that I'm sure the car could be indentified eventually.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I've noticed the the wheel hubs or hubcaps are extremely flat for the period. I have never seen another car of the time with such flat hubs. Usually they stick out 2, 3 inches or even more. It looks like it might say "50" on the hub caps, but it's so hard to tell. there are enough distinguishing features that I'm sure the car could be indentified eventually.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I think that's a turbocharger sticking thru the hood there - just below the cowl light![]

Out of curiosity, Gary - any of those toddlers still alive today?

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think that's a turbocharger sticking thru the hood there - just below the cowl light![]

Out of curiosity, Gary - any of those toddlers still alive today?

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks to be right hand drive, no windscreen, crude hinges on the hood and what appears to be an exhaust line exiting from the right. This is too far before my time.....

Comment

Looks to be right hand drive, no windscreen, crude hinges on the hood and what appears to be an exhaust line exiting from the right. This is too far before my time.....

Comment

Could that be a 1906 Abernathy ?

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                        sigpic
                        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Could that be a 1906 Abernathy ?

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
                          sigpic
                          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Could what looks to be an exhaust pipe coming fdrom the hood really be a Rubes-type bulb horn? The head doesn't look like a typical horn (which looks like the front of a trumpet), but I know some European horns didn't have a "horn" look (some looked like open mouthed snakes very popular with the majharaja's in India).

It's in the correct place, plus I've never seen exhaust exit from the hood like that an a street car that old.

Plus, white tires.
                            I wouldn't be too surprised if it predates 1907 (though cars were pretty rare and high dollar then).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Could what looks to be an exhaust pipe coming fdrom the hood really be a Rubes-type bulb horn? The head doesn't look like a typical horn (which looks like the front of a trumpet), but I know some European horns didn't have a "horn" look (some looked like open mouthed snakes very popular with the majharaja's in India).

It's in the correct place, plus I've never seen exhaust exit from the hood like that an a street car that old.

Plus, white tires.
                              I wouldn't be too surprised if it predates 1907 (though cars were pretty rare and high dollar then).

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I want to thank everyone for the input and the following is answers and obervations based upon the input.
                                1. It appears to be an aircooled engine as no radiator cap visible.

2. I agree it appears to be right hand drive.

3. It is a MN plate and either a 1912-13-14 plate which was Black on Aluminum or a 1915-16-17 Red on Aluminum. They both would look the same on the BW picture. It can't be a 1918-19-20 plate as that was white on black.

4. All of the people have passed away. My grandparents who are in the picture were married in 1915.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X