• Show
Clear All

• Shades of Bonneville....

Ever see one of these before ?...

Last edited by 64V-K7; 02-16-2011, 06:43 AM. Reason: broaden the field
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Shirt, or coveralls?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yes, it's a plastic bag.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

BIG surprise coming. Watch this thread for sensational news.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

don't want to spoil the surprise, but if it belongs to greg - the pic is up on aaca and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!
          Last edited by Corvanti; 02-17-2011, 08:21 AM.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Yes, the shirt does belong to Greg....

and so does this.

This is a reproduction of the R5 engine used at Bonneville in the Due Cento. The term "reproduction" has to be used lightly, as the parts are genuine, ie the ones used by Granatelli, in the actual Due Cento car. The block may even be the actual one used, but this information is still under scrutiny.

This information was released with Greg's approval...
            Last edited by 64V-K7; 02-17-2011, 07:48 AM. Reason: more info
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
              Yes, the shirt does belong to Greg....

and so does this.

This is a reproduction of the R5 engine used at Bonneville in the Due Cento. The term "reproduction" has to be used lightly, as the parts are genuine, ie the ones used by Granatelli, in the actual Due Cento car. The block may even be the actual one used, but this information is still under scrutiny.

This information was released with Greg's approval...
              To add a little to the above, Greg's words-
              "We've gone over the fact that there's only two known images of the R-5. Half-tone magazine shots . The original pics had been pilfered before I tried to find them in the sixties.
              When I bought the pile of R-5 parts from Joe Granatelli, it came without instructions, but he did include a snapshot.
              Unless the Granatellis have some pics stored away, this might be the only existing photograph, safely tucked away for forty years.
              Also enclosed find a picture of the engine real time. Unfinished, and unpainted, but major parts hung together.
              As they say in the movies....."Ladies and Gentlemen, we bring you Kong...."

Best part- Bob Johnstone and I have an invite to see the beast in person near term.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

*Bookmarking thread(s)* That R5 is a work of ART!

I have a few vintage and repro Nat Nast shirts...very comfortable, but none so classy as that one^.
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

Holy Moly. Amazing.

Speechless.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Yes, it's a plastic bag.
                    Thanks for making me laugh REALLY loudly in a quiet room
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That looks close to 1000 Lbs.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                        That looks close to 1000 Lbs.
                        Weight is not a big factor at Bonneville, it is when you are trying to accellerate that it comes into play. Any belly-button motor can blip the throttle for 15 seconds .
                        It takes real endurence to hold the throttle open under full load for 5 miles !
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

That motor is amazing, and yes finally a photo that clearly depicts what the dual Paxtons look like instead of the half-tone (and a poor quality one at that) of the engine taken as it was mounted in the Avanti. Bet there was no worry about the belts slipping on this set up. Thanks for posting. Junior.
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                            To add a little to the above, Greg's words-
                            "We've gone over the fact that there's only two known images of the R-5. Half-tone magazine shots . The original pics had been pilfered before I tried to find them in the sixties.
                            When I bought the pile of R-5 parts from Joe Granatelli, it came without instructions, but he did include a snapshot.
                            Unless the Granatellis have some pics stored away, this might be the only existing photograph, safely tucked away for forty years.
                            Also enclosed find a picture of the engine real time. Unfinished, and unpainted, but major parts hung together.
                            As they say in the movies....."Ladies and Gentlemen, we bring you Kong...."

Best part- Bob Johnstone and I have an invite to see the beast in person near term.

Here are a few more shots including the side:

James
                            Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                            Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut View Post
                              Here are a few more shots including the side:

James
                              Wow! Thanks. I am sending these to Greg in case he is unaware of them. May he contact you? He's not a Forum guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X