Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Donated a Stude to Charity Successfully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swifster
    replied
    A car is only worth what someone will pay for it. That's true with anything. If no one will pay more the $1500 after two runs thru Ebay, maybe that's what the car is worth.

I'd take a good look at John's Ebay presentation as a guideline. I've sold some things on Ebay that I didn't think would bring what it did. In some others I was disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    A car is only worth what someone will pay for it. That's true with anything. If no one will pay more the $1500 after two runs thru Ebay, maybe that's what the car is worth.

I'd take a good look at John's Ebay presentation as a guideline. I've sold some things on Ebay that I didn't think would bring what it did. In some others I was disappointed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Leave a comment:

• Dick Clemens
    replied
    My first thought about your post was if you bought the car to sell or to enjoy. If to sell then you are only going to get what a buyer is willing to pay. If you got it to enjoy then you must subtract the enjoyment time from your value of it. I'm very that you feel like you had a bad experiance in the Studebaker world and would invite you to join the Edsel club. I do not consider myself or any of my many friends to be cheapskates. I have been a member of SDC from the beginning years and have enjoyed it. Just remember tht any product
    is worth what the buyer will pay.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Clemens
    replied
    My first thought about your post was if you bought the car to sell or to enjoy. If to sell then you are only going to get what a buyer is willing to pay. If you got it to enjoy then you must subtract the enjoyment time from your value of it. I'm very that you feel like you had a bad experiance in the Studebaker world and would invite you to join the Edsel club. I do not consider myself or any of my many friends to be cheapskates. I have been a member of SDC from the beginning years and have enjoyed it. Just remember tht any product
    is worth what the buyer will pay.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Studes for charities, don't mention that to my wife or I might be reduced to walking. Larkvi, since you have mentioned your car why not provide some details on the condition, options and location (a picture or two might be nice) and perhaps someone here might be interested. Not knowing anything about the car or how it was presented on e-bay, it appears you may be upside down on what it is worth. Perhaps there is someone here that will give it a loving home and you can recoup a portion of your investment.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Studes for charities, don't mention that to my wife or I might be reduced to walking. Larkvi, since you have mentioned your car why not provide some details on the condition, options and location (a picture or two might be nice) and perhaps someone here might be interested. Not knowing anything about the car or how it was presented on e-bay, it appears you may be upside down on what it is worth. Perhaps there is someone here that will give it a loving home and you can recoup a portion of your investment.

Leave a comment:

• 54-61-62
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by larkvi

I suspect what will eventually happen is that I'll end up having to sell it for something like $1000-1500, then see a post here by someone bragging about how they "stole" the car.

I second that. I advertised one of my rusty R1's and several individuals from this forum made really almost insulting low-ball offers. One person here on the forum even said "you should have to pay to get that thing hauled away".

Several months later when it was advertised in a national car magazine, some of those same individuals called and offered to buy the car at asking price.

Lesson: Many car guys will only pay what they think they can get away with. Advertise your car in Hemmings. It will work much better then here or the swap page.

Kent

Leave a comment:

• 54-61-62
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by larkvi

I suspect what will eventually happen is that I'll end up having to sell it for something like $1000-1500, then see a post here by someone bragging about how they "stole" the car.

I second that. I advertised one of my rusty R1's and several individuals from this forum made really almost insulting low-ball offers. One person here on the forum even said "you should have to pay to get that thing hauled away".

Several months later when it was advertised in a national car magazine, some of those same individuals called and offered to buy the car at asking price.

Lesson: Many car guys will only pay what they think they can get away with. Advertise your car in Hemmings. It will work much better then here or the swap page.

Kent

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Where is it? You might get me interested if it's not too far from me................

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Where is it? You might get me interested if it's not too far from me................

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Leave a comment:

• larkvi
    replied
    Thanks all for the replies.

The change in the tax code makes this a moot point, as I imagine the car would sell for even less than the cheapest of cheapskate Stude people would pay for it.

The two times I put the car on eBay cost me $50 a pop - money I can't especially afford to squander. Combined with the numerous scam e-mails I received related to the listings, I'm not thrilled with the idea of doing it again.

Honestly I don't care about the charities, either, sumf. I am just beyond frustrated with my inability to sell this car for an amount on par with that for which similar cars have sold. I suspect what will eventually happen is that I'll end up having to sell it for something like $1000-1500, then see a post here by someone bragging about how they "stole" the car.

Rightly or wrongly it's making me bitter about the Studebaker ownership experience.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• larkvi
    replied
    Thanks all for the replies.

The change in the tax code makes this a moot point, as I imagine the car would sell for even less than the cheapest of cheapskate Stude people would pay for it.

The two times I put the car on eBay cost me $50 a pop - money I can't especially afford to squander. Combined with the numerous scam e-mails I received related to the listings, I'm not thrilled with the idea of doing it again.

Honestly I don't care about the charities, either, sumf. I am just beyond frustrated with my inability to sell this car for an amount on par with that for which similar cars have sold. I suspect what will eventually happen is that I'll end up having to sell it for something like $1000-1500, then see a post here by someone bragging about how they "stole" the car.

Rightly or wrongly it's making me bitter about the Studebaker ownership experience.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    While chasing a Avanti II on ebay, I found out how most of the cars are sold around here. The Avanti was owned by a broker that bought all the cars from in our area from Goodwill, Salvation Army and the rest. He bragged that he'd bought the Avanti, a Volvo and a couple of other cars for $500 total and a small "tip" to the Goodwill manager.
    I guess a old, tired Studebaker would get you maybe a $50 donation with the new law, maybe save you $10 on your taxes.

JDP/Maryland

64 Commander
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    While chasing a Avanti II on ebay, I found out how most of the cars are sold around here. The Avanti was owned by a broker that bought all the cars from in our area from Goodwill, Salvation Army and the rest. He bragged that he'd bought the Avanti, a Volvo and a couple of other cars for $500 total and a small "tip" to the Goodwill manager.
    I guess a old, tired Studebaker would get you maybe a $50 donation with the new law, maybe save you $10 on your taxes.

JDP/Maryland

64 Commander
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• sumf
    replied
    The charity doesn't care about you - just getting their money.
    You would be better off selling it yourself at am auction where car collectors go, paying your fee and donating the cash (or throwing a party to celebrate the clear spot.)

If the car is any good the tow firm will work a deal with some auction firm and get it for low-ball.

Karl

(PS It also took me several calls to get my receipt from the charity, then my tax lady said that I didn't make enopugh to move from the standard deduction!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X