Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #72 M Series ZIP VAN

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/mont...montpelier.htm

In any event this high powered unit could have made the trip from Brownsburg, IN to Mokena, IL quite comfortably in half a day, even without interstates, while obeying all the traffic signals. I am thinking it may be a good idea to send your 2011 Christmas cards now to assure delivery before 12-25-11.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

When you get rid of horses and Studebakers, delivery speed immediately decreases. No mystery.

Comment

I'll take one, NO not the Christmas card, the M-Series delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1295221344

I received my Christmas card from Bob Palma on Saturday the 14th of January. Bob was a bit late with the mailing in order to include his family pic not posting it until Dec 30. However what is mystifying is why it took two weeks to make the delivery here in Mokena (168 miles). One of the great mysteries of the universe is the working of the USPS. I recall from my history book that the pony express required 7 days and 17 hours to make a delivery from St Joseph, Missouri to Sacramento, California (1670 miles) in 1860-61!!

Studebaker played a major role in mail deliveries starting in the horse drawn era and even offered a special mail delivery wagon. Of course then there’s the ZIP VANS of 1963-64. Our photo above comes somewhere in between. This Champion powered mail delivery unit is parked alongside the Studebaker Administration Building in c1947. Similar units were used for milk deliveries etc. Sorry I don’t know the body maker but I suspect Montpelier Body Co. of Montpelier, Ohio. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/mont...montpelier.htm

In any event this high powered unit could have made the trip from Brownsburg, IN to Mokena, IL quite comfortably in half a day, even without interstates, while obeying all the traffic signals. I am thinking it may be a good idea to send your 2011 Christmas cards now to assure delivery before 12-25-11.
        Dick, you were lucky with Bob's Christmas card as most Aussie SDC members are still waiting on the November 2010 Turning Wheels.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

I had run into the Studebaker-based products of Montpelier years ago, while chasing a Studillac that used to live there. There was also a later model, with a very Lark-looking abbreviated-hood front end. Late production must have been Stude-heavy, because several local people I spoke with only knew the firm as White Motor, and presumed that their plant had been spun off from Studebaker/White in the 30's.

The early-60's postmaster of Montpelier had been in WWII, and "seconded" to HM's forces in Jerusalem. One day, riding with the British Army in a standard troop carrier trailer, he looked down between the wooden floorboards and saw the maker's plate. The trailer was made two blocks from his home in Montpelier.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1295221344

It appears to be the plant's own 'mail truck'. I'm guessing ALL mail went to '635 Main Street' regardless who it was for and then was forwarded to other departments such as the Engineering Building, Proving Ground, et al., via this truck. It would definitely have to do Avanti speeds to get to the Proving Ground before Xmas.

Craig

Comment

I remember seeing these in the 40s being used by Railway Express. Yes I was a Studebaker nut back then. I blame my neighbors down the road when I was a kid. But that is another story.

Comment

Richard,
                Could the Stude mail truck have a Boyertown body on it? It looks like the one that was for sale on this forum last year except that one used an M16 chasse.
                Mike

Comment

Railway Express RRX office in Joliet, Illinois was located on the lower level of the Union Depot, My Father would ship his prize winning King pigeons to the various shows via RRX, upon their arrival back in Joliet, their return trip to my parents home would be by a Studebaker as posted by Mr. Quinn.

Comment

Working...
                  X