No announcement yet.

Where will your cars and parts end up when you die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are looking for a "good home", state in your will who can buy the car at a agreed amount. If you do otherwise, the car may be resold in a month, or a year or two. Even my "keepers" seldom stay here for over 5 years, needs and interests change. Personally, I'd never limit the market and sale price by attaching conditions to the sale. After all, I'll be dead, won't care and my family can use the money. By taking the high bid, you are actually reducing the chances of a quick flip at a profit and the car is more likely to go to a loving home..

64 Commander-64 Daytona
    64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
    63 Avanti R1
    63 Daytona convert-63
    63 Lark 2 door
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark HT-60Hawk
    59 3E truck
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you are looking for a "good home", state in your will who can buy the car at a agreed amount. If you do otherwise, the car may be resold in a month, or a year or two. Even my "keepers" seldom stay here for over 5 years, needs and interests change. Personally, I'd never limit the market and sale price by attaching conditions to the sale. After all, I'll be dead, won't care and my family can use the money. By taking the high bid, you are actually reducing the chances of a quick flip at a profit and the car is more likely to go to a loving home..

64 Commander-64 Daytona
      64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
      63 Avanti R1
      63 Daytona convert-63
      63 Lark 2 door
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark HT-60Hawk
      59 3E truck
      52 & 53 Starliner
      51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Good points, everyone. As one who has made a full-time living since 1981 buying and selling vehicles, maybe 25% of them collector status, I've been thinking about the original posted thought since reading it earlier this morning.

There are two factors in play here that no discussion will ever change:

1. Man's greed, even though the level varies from one individual to the next.

2. Man's general unwillingness to acknowledge his mortality[xx(]. Again, this varies among individuals, but few people look forward to parting the planet to such an extent that they want to plan for it. Many do make adequate plans, of course, but few people really want to admit they are mortal.

Greed manifests itself hundreds of ways, and certainly includes misrepresenting one's intentions when looking at a vehicle for sale. I have found it the best policy to simply say "yes" if someone asks if you are a dealer. They've already figured it out anyway or they wouldn't have asked, so if you lie about that status, you become more suspect and they will be even more leery of dealing with you.

From a seller's standpoint, greed manifests itself in holding out for an unrealistically high price because the seller "...knows what it is worth," thanks to Barrett-Jackson, et al. On more than one occasion, I've suggested that they should certainly take the car there to sell it!

The mortality consideration has probably cost us more collector cars than even the crusher. Every person reading this knows of at least one collector vehicle rusting down into the ground because the owner "is going to restore it some day" and refuses to consider selling. Of course, "some day" never comes and the gent (or his widow) passes on [V] and the remains are now too far gone to be reclaimed for anything more than a few parts. [xx(]

To wit: Studebaker built 2213 or 2215 1955 Speedsters, depending on which source you choose to believe. Of those, only 151 had factory stick overdrive, so the overdrive cars really are rare. For over 25 years, I've watched one of the overdrive Speedsters (I've verified the serial number; it is one of the 151) rust away north of Bloomington IN, waiting for the owner to "restore it some day." He also has two 1956 Golden Hawks (both Ultramatics) and a genuine 1958 Chrysler 300D in like condition. They are all now badly rusted midwestern cars sitting in mud. To make it worse, vandals have taken it upon themselves to accelerate the deterioration beyond Mother Nature's natural speed.

Not wanting to face mortality also predisposes collectors to do something very stupid: Not straighten out their paperwork when they buy a car and secure a fresh, legitimate title for the car in their name immediately after purchase. I don't mean a title that has been assigned to the collector, I mean a fresh title in which he is listed as the legal owner by the issuing state! [:0]Many times, a widow or other survivor must take less for one or more vehicles because they do not have legitimate, negotiable [u]titles.</u> There's no excuse for this! It's pure, unadulterated laziness...and an unwillingnes to admit that, someday, your loved ones may have to turn the vehicle into green money after you're gone.[:0]

This will be an interesting thread. Hopefully, it will inspire a reader or two to get everything titled in their name and make a valid will! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Good points, everyone. As one who has made a full-time living since 1981 buying and selling vehicles, maybe 25% of them collector status, I've been thinking about the original posted thought since reading it earlier this morning.

There are two factors in play here that no discussion will ever change:

1. Man's greed, even though the level varies from one individual to the next.

2. Man's general unwillingness to acknowledge his mortality[xx(]. Again, this varies among individuals, but few people look forward to parting the planet to such an extent that they want to plan for it. Many do make adequate plans, of course, but few people really want to admit they are mortal.

Greed manifests itself hundreds of ways, and certainly includes misrepresenting one's intentions when looking at a vehicle for sale. I have found it the best policy to simply say "yes" if someone asks if you are a dealer. They've already figured it out anyway or they wouldn't have asked, so if you lie about that status, you become more suspect and they will be even more leery of dealing with you.

From a seller's standpoint, greed manifests itself in holding out for an unrealistically high price because the seller "...knows what it is worth," thanks to Barrett-Jackson, et al. On more than one occasion, I've suggested that they should certainly take the car there to sell it!

The mortality consideration has probably cost us more collector cars than even the crusher. Every person reading this knows of at least one collector vehicle rusting down into the ground because the owner "is going to restore it some day" and refuses to consider selling. Of course, "some day" never comes and the gent (or his widow) passes on [V] and the remains are now too far gone to be reclaimed for anything more than a few parts. [xx(]

To wit: Studebaker built 2213 or 2215 1955 Speedsters, depending on which source you choose to believe. Of those, only 151 had factory stick overdrive, so the overdrive cars really are rare. For over 25 years, I've watched one of the overdrive Speedsters (I've verified the serial number; it is one of the 151) rust away north of Bloomington IN, waiting for the owner to "restore it some day." He also has two 1956 Golden Hawks (both Ultramatics) and a genuine 1958 Chrysler 300D in like condition. They are all now badly rusted midwestern cars sitting in mud. To make it worse, vandals have taken it upon themselves to accelerate the deterioration beyond Mother Nature's natural speed.

Not wanting to face mortality also predisposes collectors to do something very stupid: Not straighten out their paperwork when they buy a car and secure a fresh, legitimate title for the car in their name immediately after purchase. I don't mean a title that has been assigned to the collector, I mean a fresh title in which he is listed as the legal owner by the issuing state! [:0]Many times, a widow or other survivor must take less for one or more vehicles because they do not have legitimate, negotiable [u]titles.</u> There's no excuse for this! It's pure, unadulterated laziness...and an unwillingnes to admit that, someday, your loved ones may have to turn the vehicle into green money after you're gone.[:0]

This will be an interesting thread. Hopefully, it will inspire a reader or two to get everything titled in their name and make a valid will! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm taking them with me!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I'm taking them with me!

Comment

Studebaker Heaven

Mabel 1949 Champion
                1957 Silverhawk
                1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
                Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                Gus 1958 Transtar
                The Prez 1955 President State
                Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                Fresno,Ca

Comment

Studebaker Heaven

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  1957 Silverhawk
                  1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  The Prez 1955 President State
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

The topic has the makings of a very interesting Turning Wheels article....

55 Commander
                    58 Transtar
                    62 GT Hawk
                    66 Cruiser

Comment

The topic has the makings of a very interesting Turning Wheels article....

55 Commander
                      58 Transtar
                      62 GT Hawk
                      66 Cruiser

Comment

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP Maryland

Comment

Wow! An R2 Gran-Turismo kit car![:0][] Hope you're able to find it a good home, Jeff. Someone will have a heck of a find. Sorry for the lady's loss though. Hopefully she had that assurance we can rest upon.

I'm quite sure that most of my stuff will end up on the scrap heap when I'm gone. Or rusting away in some back lot. My family as a whole isn't interested in Studebakers. They all consider them old junk. My youngest and only blood related son, has already told me that he would sell everything he could of my possessions, and take the rest to the dump. Besides, I can't give it away now. What makes anyone think I could when I'm dead[?] Not much of a loss though. Mine are just Stude-clunkers... like me.[:I][8)]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            Lotsa Larks!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Wow! An R2 Gran-Turismo kit car![:0][] Hope you're able to find it a good home, Jeff. Someone will have a heck of a find. Sorry for the lady's loss though. Hopefully she had that assurance we can rest upon.

I'm quite sure that most of my stuff will end up on the scrap heap when I'm gone. Or rusting away in some back lot. My family as a whole isn't interested in Studebakers. They all consider them old junk. My youngest and only blood related son, has already told me that he would sell everything he could of my possessions, and take the rest to the dump. Besides, I can't give it away now. What makes anyone think I could when I'm dead[?] Not much of a loss though. Mine are just Stude-clunkers... like me.[:I][8)]

Lotsa Larks!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Lets see, I wanna go like the guy in the BMW commercial. Front seat, hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. Big smile on my face as the "casket" is lowered.
                                But seriously, I have no last remaining testament yet, basically due to age (yeah yeah ignorance). But hypothetically, suppose my health problem caught up to my eyes or kidneys. Diabetetes is can be a real blank. Parents are Studebaker owners, one 63 R2 Avanti, three 55's which two are donors(two hardtops, and a 4 door sedan), and a handful of trucks. Its safe to say I'm good on that front as far as how stuff might go.
                                1. Recycled back through the local club.
                                2. Recycled back through the national club.
                                3. Parents take car and truck.
                                4. Parents take car and truck and they basically go unused before 1 or 2.
                                5. Sold through local paper. I highly doubt this one as its still M*stang and C*maro country here and the very simple engine would be treated as alien tech, particularly the truck(use your imagination, lol).
                                Of course some of you probably know this instance that could make a mess of selling cars or inheriting a car. A car becomes hard to sell or give away to anybody local or another local family member because its history or a couple of oddball instances post de facto has kaibashed an otherwise decent car.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                                1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                                [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                                [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                                X